Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Change cycling regimen? (rest days)

Hi, all.

Currently, I ride my bike six days a week, an average of 20 miles per ride. (My maximum, so far, is 51 miles.)

I'm debating changing over from my one-day-a-week rest schedule to going mileage-based, instead. I'm thinking I would take a day off after every 75 miles. (Which should work out to every three to four days.)

This would have me riding as few as five days/week. But I'm thinking that the additional muscle-recovery time might accelerate increases to muscle mass, leading to higher-quality (i.e., faster, longer) rides on the days when I do go out.

Any thoughts?

thanks!
b

Replies

• moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    I think alot of it depends on your goal? Do you want to get a faster average mph? Is it strictly for fitness and weightloss? Are you training for a century ride?
  • I have been trying to run 6 days a week for the last couple of weeks. Last week I ran two days then took a day off from running and just walked. I found that I ran better the day after a rest. So I think it sounds like a good idea. I plan on implementing this from now on.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    @Moxette: I'm kind of wondering that, myself. :-)

I definitely want to build up to a century; I think I've probably got 60 miles in me at the moment.

My secondary goal is not so much weight loss at this point (mission accomplished :-) ), but more body recomposition. I'd like to continue to bring down body fat % and drive up muscle %.

Faster average mph is also a goal, but it will come (as it has been) as a byproduct of the secondary goal I mention above. The same goes for climbing power.

Sorry--I know this is a mushy answer, but anything you'd care to share would be great. :-)

b