Brown Rice with Chili Beans, Black Beans, Tofu, and Whole To

Options
oldultrarunner
oldultrarunner Posts: 13 Member
I absolutely love this dish. It's nutrious in that it has brown rice with protein rich beans, tofu and cut up whole (canned) tomatoes.

What I do is use a rice cooker and cook 2 cups of brown rice with 4 1/2 cups of water. While that's cooking, I throw into a large pot, 2 cans of hot chili beans (canned without salt added), 2 cans of black beans (canned without salt added), 1 whole package of cut up extra firm tofu, and 2 large cans of canned whole tomatoes which I cut up.

I then add, several teaspoons of redhot pepper, cumin powder, chili powder, garlic salt, black pepper adn any other spice I think might spice things up. I I stir this all together and let it simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes. When the rice is finished, I ladle 2 cups of brown rice into a bowl and the ladle several cups of the beans, tofu, tomato in the pot that has been simmering, over the rice. Myself, I like spicy food, so I liven things up with extra Frank's Louisana hot sauce over the dish in the bowl. Yummy!

This is a great low calorie dish. I don't have the specifics of the calorie content, protein, fat, etc. Myself, I just add 400 calories to my daily intake and put it down for my dinner. It's a very filling dish!

Replies

• baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think the calorie count is much higher than 400 if you use 2 full cups of rice and several cups of beans! Beans are not low calorie!

There is a recipe calculator if you want to put in the ingredients and find out how many calories it actually is!

This sounds great though :)
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    With those portions 800 calories seems more realistic. Two cups of plain brown rice is over 400 calories without the beans! 1 cup of a rice and bean mixture runs about 250. Don't get me wrong...I love this kind of food myself but your calorie count isn't realistic.