Do you do Yoga, Help?

Options
My new running coach is in LOVE with the benefits of Yoga for distance runners. I am less amused, but have to admit that when I stopped doing crosstraining and ran more, I got more injuries.

So I did 30 minutes of P90x yoga (the only yoga I know) tonight. He has never seen it, but when I explained it to him although he praised for me getting it done, he said that isnt what he wants. He said thats too much power (too much upper body) and he wants more "stretching" type yoga. He mentioned Bikram and Ashthanga as good styles.

My question ... I dont have time to get to a class, so what video would you recommend. I have googled Yoga for Runners and Im overwhelmed.

Whats a good yoga video? Why do you like it?

Replies

• andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I found a yoga for beginners video at walmart.... Sometimes if you look online though you can get a kit that includes the ball and its a pretty decent price.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you have Netfllix instant watch there is one that I love! Its Crunch Candlelight Yoga. Its a good beginning 45 min hatha yoga (stretching) video. At the beginning, its really slow, but breathing is really important in yoga so that's why she spends time on it in the beginning. I do distance running and yoga really does help my stride to become more efficient and smooth.

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • oriava
    oriava Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out the "Gaiam" line they are really wonderful...I personally feel as if you can make the most out of even a slow stretching yoga even if you are advanced. I think that your trainer wants to give you a day where you actually allow your muscles to truly relax and stretch. This is also hard work. Good Luck!
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The first part of Yoga X is mostly upper sun salutations, the latter part is balance postures. Do the whole thing. I know it is 90 minutes but it is worth it..

Also look around for the Patience Hummingbird Yoga from Tony Horton's One on One Series
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga dvd by bob harper
    it's called inside out method yogar warrior (I think)
    this dvd also has an awesome abs workout at the end :D

I also have a Leslie Samsone 4 mile walk dvd that has yoga stretching at end I have been using after I run
  • misslo718
    misslo718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been doing you for years, and I swear that when I do it consistently I lose weight. Personally, I don't believe gym yoga - power yoga, whatever - is good for you. Real yoga is a mind/body connection and yes, it is excellent for runners. The breathing, the stretching, the concentration. Yoga will undo the muscle tightness running creates.

I highly recommend going to a yoga class, and not one at a gym unless it is a basic ashtanga class. Vinyasa will move too fast for a beginner., but gyms love it because people feel like they need to work aerobically at a gym and sweat all the time.

Videos are good for more people with some basic yoga experience, but in a decent class, the instructor will correct your form. That makes a huge difference in your practice and what you get out of it

This is just my personal experience - your mileage may vary. I like Iynegar yoga, which focuses on alignment.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Hatha yoga. It's geared to build a little muscle in the core and upper body, but it's mostly relaxation and breathing techniques. I took a beginner's class last year and absolutely loved it. I've continued on my own every other day. I'm not terribly good at it, but it really feels wonderful.

I'm also a runner.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I kid you not: Yoga for Dummies.

You can youtube it to see if it's up your alley as I don't think your trainer is after a "work out" yoga like P90. I do Hatha classes at a hot yoga studio but I started at the YMCA one night a week for an hour and also found the Yoga For dummies online.

You can also check out

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=yoga

which will let you preview the videos, change your preferences (length of video, level of ability, etc) and see the reviews.
    Good luck!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I go to BIkram yoga classes it is such a workout. it is in a hot room, if you have a chance try one one day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're goal is to do 1000 miles? I love it! I've recently gotten into running. it seems like about 20 miles a week. I think this might be my 2012 new years resolution! Do you have a blog? hows it going so far? I LOVE IT!
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    I would also have to put a vote in for hot yoga. The heat works wonders at loosening up the muscles so you can get the full benefit of the stretch. I also recommend taking some class - most places will let you try one for free or do a week unlimited for $20 - form is very important and just like in running if you are practicing bad form, you won't get all the benefits you are entitled to. I'll have to tell you about my running epiphany later after I sleep...
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    from what I'm guessing your trainer wants, any video by Shiva Rea or Rodney Yee would probably work nicely. they are challenging but not beyond reach.

However, I do recommend a class when and if you can make it work, as you really need to have an instructor to help you get your alignment right so you're getting the most out of your time on the mat.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I do hatha yoga - we have a class at lunchtime at work and I *love* it! It's incredibly relaxing, has changed the way I view and use my body and it has made me more flexible. I don't know if it's made me stronger, but I usually hurt the next somewhere, depending on what exercises we've been doing, so I guess it's strengthening.

I agree with those saying make time for a class. You'll be able to enjoy yoga all your life - even when running has blown your knees!

(But I do have "Element AM & PM Yoga for Beginners" which does a decent half hour programme. Not the same at all, but okay.)