Getting started with this whole 'exercise' thing

Options
So perhaps in the past I've been a little snooty about people that go to the gym or work out or whatever. Perhaps I've had this 'bad attitude' for years now after some really unsatisfying and hurtful experiences at my college gym, the only gym I've ever gone to (and that was over 8 years ago now).

But here I am, contemplating creating an exercise routine. Because I need it, because I'll never be happy with my arms no matter how skinny they get without doing something about the muscle - or lack thereof. Same for my legs and my abs. Now that I'm no longer in college and no longer have a free gym to use, I need things I can do on my own without fancy equipment.

So obviously I haven't a clue what to do or how to go about doing it properly! Currently my idea of exercise is being really good at my job (I'm a nanny who chases after small children all day), but that isn't going to cut it if I really want to reach my goals. So I need some ideas/tips/words of encouragement for how to get this started.

I know you can't target specific areas for fat loss, but I would really like to focus first on my arms. I feel like arm exercises are probably things I wouldn't mind doing, while ab exercises make me want to hide. To ease into this whole idea, I think staying off the floor would be a good idea for the first few weeks at least. Meaning I want exercise I can do standing up, perhaps even while watching children run around at the playground. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Some of the Jillian Michaels DVDs are very inexpensive and offer great at-home workouts. I did 30 day shred (took me 60 days though). :)

Jogging, walking, pushups, crunches, etc. can all be done at home or in your neighborhood. The key is to get moving and do it often.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to say that I currently walk a LOT. A whole freaking lot. Like, 15 miles a day easy. I have no car and unless the weather is unbearable I don't take the subway or bus (I live in NYC). And I often do that walking with at least one small child either strapped to my body or in a stroller I'm pushing (or both).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to say that I currently walk a LOT. A whole freaking lot. Like, 15 miles a day easy. I have no car and unless the weather is unbearable I don't take the subway or bus (I live in NYC). And I often do that walking with at least one small child either strapped to my body or in a stroller I'm pushing (or both).

Nice!

I would suggest doing some strength training then. Start with basics: lunges, squats, situps/crunches, pushups, anything you can do for free. Set up a circuit for yourself: 30 seconds of lunges, 30 seconds squats, 30 seconds crunches, 30 seconds pushups, 1 min breather. Repeat. Just make sure you are using controlled deliberate motions not swinging yourself into position. For squats, just make sure your knees don't go further out than your toes (this will force your *kitten* way out and feel really funky at first).
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wall pushups or tricep dips can be done keeping an eye on kids. And, of course, depending on the age of the children, you could pick them up and put them down.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Get on Amazon, go to the library, or search around Exercise TV and find a workout you like. I've never been to a gym even once. My favorites for beginners are anything Biggest Loser. They incorporate cardio and strength, which is good because you can build muscle all day, but if you still have fat, you won't see muscle. I also really love Turbo Jam because while it's mostly cardio, there is ab and strength training as well. (These are also acceptable beginner workouts, in my opinion, although they're a bit more challenging than BL.)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some dumbbells. Fairly inexpensive equipment you can use at home. I work out at home and my only equipment is 3 sets of dumbbells (5lb, 10lb, 15lb), plus an exercise game on my Wii (for some cardio work).

Get the dumbbells, then use YouTube to look up various arm exercises like bicep curls, hammer curls, lateral raises (shoulders), and exercises for your triceps.

Once you start with some strength training, you'll want to even yourself out and start working your abs, legs, etc. All of that can be done at home using your own body weight and some dumbbells.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    awesome that you walk that much!! I need to give that a go. I agree that push ups are an amazing all over workout. Also fill up old milk cartons with water and do arms with that. pull ups at the park on the monkey bars (you won't be able to pull up at first, but hang with your arms taunt if that is all you can do).
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    Before you spend money on equipment, spend money on a book or two. Get some sort of understanding of what you're actually doing before you start, otherwise you'll mostly be wasting your time.

I'd suggest The New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good start.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some small hand weights and do some curls, over head, out to the side etc... do say 10 reps each to begin with.

Push ups, crunches, lunges, tricep dips, step up's. You could aslo think about becoming a runner over time.

DVD's are great, and there's lots of free stuff online as well
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You can also try kettle bells. I would look on youtube for exercises for certain areas.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    go to bodybuilding.com, then to Supersite and look up exercises. You can click on arms and they will show videos of how to perform exercises.

If you're starting out, a basic bicep curl and tricep extension is a must. Start slow and each week progress by either adding weight, sets or reps.
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    Most of the walking is just part of my daily life, only about 5 miles a day are really there on purpose as exercise. Dumb bells sound like a good investment, and I'm sure once I see some small results in my arms I'll be all over starting on my legs and abs. I just have this fear/sour attitude/general laziness when it comes to the idea of 'working out'. I don't even know how to describe it, but I'm trying to create a new me which is going to require a new outlook on things.

For so many years I was in great shape without ever doing anything because my lifestyle was so much more active. I've gotten sedentary in the last few years, other than the walking I really don't do anything 'active', and it's definitely showing. I keep saying I'll buy a new bicycle, but I have a list of excuses a mile long for why I haven't done that yet.
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation! Personally, once I understand something I'm so much better about actually doing it.
    Before you spend money on equipment, spend money on a book or two. Get some sort of understanding of what you're actually doing before you start, otherwise you'll mostly be wasting your time.

I'd suggest The New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good start.
  • Marylovell
    Marylovell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I looked for Youtube videos, and I like Denise Austin, so I have a few of her books. I follow the routines in her books, though I haven't "advanced" much. A good set of weights, 1,5, 10lbs and bands will be all you need if you are motivated to work out in your own space.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Pullups and chinups on the playground equipment. If you can't do any, start with negatives (jump up and try to lower yourself slowly).