My intake and net cals...

Options
Okay. Help a girl out. I ate roughly 1400 calories today. Seems plenty of food. Almost all was whole foods--apples, banana, natural peanut butter, minestrone made with tons of veggies, oatmeal bread, etc... I also worked out. (Yeah me LOL). My net cals are only about 140. Do I really need to eat back some more exercise cals? Talk to me. I know that this is a much discussed and debated topic. Is it okay that my net cals are low--if my intake was 1400 cals?

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This is a very debated topic..some say eat half of them back, some eat them all, some eat none..my base is set to 1700 and I don'[t eat them back...what I used to do was: if ur hungry eat more, if not...but since I pushed my base up i don't now :)
  • smpurely
    Options
    I have one hell of a time eating back all my exercise calories, but I force myself, and so far I have dropped approx 9 pounds in 3 weeks. I had been gaining weight while eating approx 1200 calories a day and doing 2 hours of aerobics a day. It went against everything i ever thought I knew about weight loss, and I thought I knew quite a bit. Since I started eating approx 2000 calories a day, I have been losing the weight. Who knew? *smile* Good luck!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine unless I am hungry, and because I question some of the figures. But I would never want to net that low - can you at least get your net up to 600 for the day even if you don't hit 1400 - 140 is extremely low.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    A highly debated topic. I ate 1800 cals today but burned over 3,000 for a net of -1119. I'm not trying to eat anymore tonight and my daily intake is 1570,

I don't try to starve myself but not looking to eat more even when I burn 4,000 cals.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I rotate daily it works for me. One day no work out meeting my caloric intake the next day I eat my caloric intake but work out with no "re eating them" ... Or sometimes I just go under my caloric intake. I have had quick success with this. But I am also sitting at 300 lbs right now so I have much more too lose ... and easier numbers wise.
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree...I was on this site for a LONG time before I even notice the net calorie part! Having low net calories works at first, but then the weight loss grinds to a hault and you start to feel crappy (which usually ends up with falling off the wagon!) (Not to mention how grumpy one can get!) I don't eat all my exercise calories back since I think the calories burned aren't exactly accurate...I just use them as a guide/estimate...but I do make sure my net never falls below 1000, but 1200-1400 is better. We have to feed our bodies to gain/keep muscle, thusly raising our metabolism and to have the energy for life :) It can seem hard to get those extra calories sometimes, and not eat junk, but I find things like avocados, almonds, etc with healthy fats help a lot. Good luck!