food addiction. need help.

Options
2»

Replies

• Starieberry
    Options
    I either just go to sleep, or I'll hold out as long as I possibly can, and then when I have to have something I'll eat a celery stick with some peanut butter. It's really good for you and it tends to fill me up a little more than a less healthy snack, making it more time before I eat again and lessening my desire for sugary high calorie foods.
  • lefebvre002
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard all the advice you need. For me, and I was addicted, but protein keeps me stable. Drink a protein shake before a small meal and you won't eat as much and won't think of your tummy cause you are satisfied. I lost 185 pounds and have kept it off for 8 years. You can do this!
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    So many good suggestions here. Obviously this is a common problem. I've always been a huge night snacker. A Psychologist told me that when I night snack it beats a path straight to the pleasure section of my brain. Those paths become imprinted quickly and nothing else I do to try to give me the same pleasure release will work as well. That is what addiction is all about. So I need to learn to ignore my need for that stimulus and over time it get's better. I like the idea of writing down what is going on in your mind and analyzing it. That will help separate emotional hunger from actual hunger. Emotional hunger is really powerful, so you need to work on other ways of keeping your need for satisfying it under control. This is a tough journey. Keep getting support and reaching out. You can do it!
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me, I satisfy the craving with a zero. Something nutritious but lacking complex fats and or carbs if possible.

1 cup of Quaker rolled oats
    1/8 cup sunflower seeds
    1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
    **optional ** 1/8 cup Crazins ( dried cranberries ) or a couple teaspoons of unpasteurized honey to taste.

I avoid artificial sweeteners. if you're going to make your body trigger an insulin response from something sweet, let it be from real sugars.

Also, the Oats can be substituted with 8oz Greek 0% fat yogurt if in need of protein, it has 18 grams!