Attention all Shorties!!!

Options
Hey everyone, I have a question for all those who are short! I am only 5 feet tall and currently i don't feel like i LOOK as "obese" as my BMI states. I will be considered obese until 154 and overweight until 127. I haven't been 127 since MIDDLE SCHOOL. does anyone else feel this way? I feel like i just carry weight differently because of my height (or maybe i am just delusional!)

let me know and good luck to everyone today!!!!

Replies

• JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am also only 5' and was not real happy when I found out I am considered obese, overweight absolutely, but obese, really? But I guess if you go by the BMI that is what I am and I figure it is time to face the truth. That being said I have set my goal weight at 128 since that is the top of the range I am given for my height and age. However I will see I how feel when I get closer to that. For me this is about being healthy and if I am feeling good and am healthy at 130 or 135 then I will be happy with that.

Good luck to you!
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I agree! I am 5'2... and although I know I am overweight, I do not think I am as overweight as my BMI makes me out to be. I've been in the obese range for awhile now. I lost all the weight years ago and it was hard for me to get into the "healthy weight". By time I got to 130 I was already close to being bones.
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.
    It sucks being short.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Bodyfat is a better indication whether you are fat or not, BMI is very inaccurate
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you do. I am 5'3 and is considered obese. 8 months ago I was considered morbidly obese. I didn't and still don't have excess skin that hang and jiggle so I never thought to be morbid and now obese. I've always been solid built so I never looked what I actually weighed and weigh. I guess I am delusional as well.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think low % body fat and fitness levels are better indicators of "HEALTHY" weight, than BMI is! Just remember... BMI is just a number. It is NOT who we are! It does not represent our VALUE! Keep striving for healthy!
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel I am 5'2" and to get into the normal range I have to be 101-130. I am 48 yrs. old and can't every remember weighing that. probably was in grade school lol. The smalllest I was in my adult life was 150 and I thought I looked great. But by my BMI I would still be OVERWEIGHT so what do we do? I have set 150 as a goal for now. Which means I still have 40 lbs to lose. I will have to see how low I go after I get there if I reset my goal to this BMI number.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I'm with you. I"m 5 3 and My goal is 140. I suppose I could go lower but that is the top end and most girls my height seem to be shooting for MUCH lower. my BMI says I'm overweight at my current weight but ... I really dont feel that I look THAT bad...
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft too and When I got down to my 'normal' BMI weight people looked at me like I was insane when I told them 'Yay, I'm no longer overweight!!', they all said there's no way you even were overweight, you havn't been for ages already surely!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it has less to do with height than body shape and where and how you carry weight.

If you're apple shaped and carry it all in your belly, you're probably going to look bigger at the same weight and height than someone who gains and loses weight more proportionately.

I'm an hourglass and don't carry all my weight in one concentrated spot, so I appear smaller than I weigh, but I still have jiggly bits (easily camoflaged by the right clothing) that are fat deposits that need to GO!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and half and currently about 11st 7. I think I'm considered obese or was at 12st 7. I've been told healthy weight range for my height is between 8 and half and 10 and a half stone.

I'm sure I used to be around 9 to 9 and half when I was healthy before so aiming for that after I've reached 10st first.

I watched a repeat of 'Supersize V Superskinny' on TV today and they said a woman about 5ft 3 (the lady on it was) should be about 8 and half stone and she was about 6. I personally can't see me getting that low, it will be a miracle if I get to 9 and half! My Wii Fit says I should be 9st 3 and still showing me at top end of overweight category on the bar even though I've lost a stone! :embarassed:
  • hannata86
    Options
    I think it has less to do with height than body shape and where and how you carry weight.

If you're apple shaped and carry it all in your belly, you're probably going to look bigger at the same weight and height than someone who gains and loses weight more proportionately.

I'm an hourglass and don't carry all my weight in one concentrated spot, so I appear smaller than I weigh, but I still have jiggly bits (easily camoflaged by the right clothing) that are fat deposits that need to GO!

Agreed with this lady :) I'm tall and I hold my weight *too* well. Its frustrating when people don't believe you weigh so much and keep telling you to stop losing weight >:(
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    5'0 here too. Obese also :(
  • SpongeBetty
    Options
    I am 5'2. The top of my range according to WW is 135. I have decided to set small goals and make sure I can maintain those goals before going to extreme. My next goal is 160 which I am about 20lbs away from. I think that will help me get rid of my second spare tire under my rib cage.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I'm 5 feet (actually, just a bit under, but I round up!). I was "obese" when I started on here, but I'm in the "overweight" category. I think I look overweight right now, but the last time I lost a chunk of weight, I got down to 135 and I thought I looked really good. Technically though, that's still considered overweight. So...my goal is 125 and I'll re-evaluate once I get there. However, my "birthday" goal is to be back at 135 by then.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, in all honesty, I think I'd give up a limb to be short. Always wanted to be short. I am 5'9.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! 5'2" here and I have never weighed 120, I literally just skipped right over it somewhere in middle school. I have set my big goal weight at 150. I think once we get there, evaluate, and decide whether your comfortable going any lower. I am not looking to be model thin, I am looking to be happy with myself and comfortable in a bathing suit! Good luck!
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    screw bmi.... once we are healthy and active and eating right......! im also 5'1..... i dont look at bmi anymore cos it depress me!!!!
  • samantha_runs
    Options
    I get so frustrated I am 5'3'' and I feel 120 should be my lowest, but my blood sugar doctor (for hypoglycemia) says 115 - 120 is a comfortable range. i looked like bones at 130lbs. I am 139lbs now and I look good and my regular doctor says I am in a healthy weight range. i still have fat I am shredding and I still workout and will continue to do so and eat healthy for the rest of my life, but the target weight range my blood sugar doctor is giving me seems unattainable
  • cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This will make you laugh....so I was on the computer calculating my BMI...I entered 5'2' and 155lbs it said im overweight (28.8 just barely in the overweight. 34 pounds ago i was obese I didnt feel obese) so I was al little distraught but I decided to enter 5 foot 6 inches...it dropped my bmi to the normal range! WHo know that Im not really overweight, Im just 4 inches too short lmao!!!!

Anyway-alot of ppl on here say eat your exercise cals, I cant. I have a bmi scale and it tells me to stay my same weight I need to eat 1503 cals a day, MFP tells me 1500-1600. I wont lose weight even with exercise. I eat between 1000-1200 a day and I have lost weight. granted its not what MVP preaches but it works for me