Melatonin for weight loss

Options
Anyone use melatonin? I've heard that in addition to helping you sleep, it can also help in losing weight. What's been your experience with it?

Replies

• akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've also heard it helps you sleep...never about weight loss! Interested to hear about this too.
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started taking Melatonin about the same time I started MFP. (I wanted to get off my sleeping pills) It helps me sleep. I don't really know if it helps me lose weight because if dieting and working out is not doing it, I doubt Melatonin will.

Let me know how it works for you.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i use it to sleep only when i cant
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    naaa..my husband has been taking this for years, it never affected his weight.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use it. The only reason it helps with weight loss is that it helps you get enough sleep, which is needed in order to lose weight properly. If you aren't sleeping well, or can't get to sleep, it will help you to do so. But you have to be careful because it can be habit forming and you may find yourself unable to go to sleep without it.

If you are going to take it, I suggest only taking it once or twice per week to aid you in getting to sleep. What is generally recommended is to take it just before going to bed and trying to go to sleep on your own. The melatonin will help you get into a deeper sleep faster, which will give you a more quality sleep overall.

But if you find you don't need help sleeping, it probably won't help you with weight loss either.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started taking Melatonin about the same time I started MFP. (I wanted to get off my sleeping pills) It helps me sleep. I don't really know if it helps me lose weight because if dieting and working out is not doing it, I doubt Melatonin will.

How does the melatonin work for you I take sleepy pills regularly for insomnia and want to get off them let me know please :)
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for the past couple weeks now to help me sleep and I cant say I've noticed any extra weight loss because of it.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have use it for yrs to help me sleep with no weight lost till I started eating correctly & excerising so I would say NO it doesn't help with weight lost. I love the Melatonin for sleep though and it's not habit forming I can go to sleep without it just choice not to.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin for sleep because my body doesn't produce Melatonin. I've been taking it before bed for years, and I've never noticed a change.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Melotanin is a natural hormone our body's make..some of us are defiecient. So if you take it your body regulates and you may sleep better. With any hormone defieciency all aspects of your life can be affected. So if you fix one problem other areas can improve. Any weight loss by introducing this hormone is a side effect of your metobolism getting back on track. The introduction of processed foods in our society has drastically increased these types of defieciencies. You might also look at zinc, idodine and B6. Those 3 vitamins/minerals are very important to our metobolism.

Be careful taking Melatonin. It is not water soluble. This means it stores in your fat and too much isn't good.

God Bless
    Nichole
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have used it to help with sleep and for me it worked well. I didn't notice any weight loss while taking it though...
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

\

Yeah, not having trouble losing weight. I am having trouble sleeping though. Started taking melatonin earlier this week. I did a little research on google and found out that it supposedly used as a dietary supplement as well.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not having trouble losing weight. I am having trouble sleeping though. Started taking melatonin earlier this week. I did a little research on google and found out that it supposedly used as a dietary supplement as well.
    They have to say 'dietary supplement' so they can sell it w/o FDA approval.

It has nothing at all to do with weight loss. It is for sleep - and mostly for adjusting you sleeping schedule, like for shift work or jet lag. Day after day is not a very good use for it.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    They have to say 'dietary supplement' so they can sell it w/o FDA approval.

It has nothing at all to do with weight loss. It is for sleep - and mostly for adjusting you sleeping schedule, like for shift work or jet lag. Day after day is not a very good use for it.

I have a melatonin deficiency. If your body is already producing sufficient amounts of the hormone, then yes, it can be dangerous to take it every day. But if you're like me, and the hormone doesn't exist in your system, day after day is necessary.
  • Behipped
    Options
    Hmm, i've never heard about it in terms of helping with weight loss! I probably take it about once a week or every two weeks. Usually because I'm wired and need to get to sleep, or I anticipate that i'll need more sleep than normal. It helps me.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Hmm, i've never heard about it in terms of helping with weight loss! I probably take it about once a week or every two weeks. Usually because I'm wired and need to get to sleep, or I anticipate that i'll need more sleep than normal. It helps me.

I hear ya. I usually workout late at night. I have to because of my schedule. The downside is, I get an energy rush and my body doesn't want to rest.
  • Behipped
    Options
    Yeah, that is exactly why I use it. When I actually have time to work out, it's often at about 9pm and until 10:30ish... Then I walk 15 minutes home and am jazzed but have to get up at 6:30 the next morning... Sometimes you have to defeat the endorphins with synthetics!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    "Dietary supplement" has nothing to do with dieting for weight loss...

The word "diet" means "everything you eat".
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Yeah, that is exactly why I use it. When I actually have time to work out, it's often at about 9pm and until 10:30ish... Then I walk 15 minutes home and am jazzed but have to get up at 6:30 the next morning... Sometimes you have to defeat the endorphins with synthetics!
    Yeah, its the only thing I've found that will work for me. Otherwise, I'd barely sleep.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it really helps you lose weight. I've been taking melatonin for forever due to insomnia because I don't want to take sleeping pills. I haven't found that it helps you lose weight.