Muscle soreness

Options
Working out is second nature to me. But, I've found that when I'm in serious lean down mode (like right now), it takes my muscles a long time to recover from my really hard strength/cardio days. I do a fast-paced "circuit-type" workout on Tuesday and Thursdays. I went to "Manic" on Tues. and then yesterday I hiked hills for 90 minutes but nothing more. Today, I am so sore I can hardly turn over in bed. I'm going to pilates to try and get stretched out but I'm supposed to hit "Manic Training" at noon.

Do you have any good ideas for muscle recovery. Seems like I've tried all the sports drinks and nothing really works well but time off. I eat within 60 minutes of my workouts too and always have some protein and carbs.

Oy! My bumm is killing me. Help!

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try a couple of ibuprofen to start. Wait 20 minutes, and then start to gently warm up. Ibuprofen is my best friend after a weight increase day in the gym.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I take cold baths when I get back from long runs. At first they were awful, but now I look forward to them! If you can stay in the water for more than a minute it starts to get easier, then I have to force myself out! After a while I have a nice warm shower. Also I now wear compression clothing. I've only got the bottom half but I've had no aches after doing 16-18 mile runs, whereas I was getting aches in my left calf and bum cheek. I just put them on once washed, not during the exercise.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I swear by Epsom salt baths for soreness. It really helps. Cheap & effective. Good luck!:smile:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do you do any foam rolling? I highly recommend that to help with muscle soreness.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and I definitely would not advise taking any medication unless advised by your doctor. Certainly take painkillers if you need them but your body is telling you that you are overdoing it. Take it back a pace - you will still benefit but with less pain!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I eat within 60 minutes of my workouts too and always have some protein and carbs.

That may not be enough. My instructions from my doctor are very specific: eat/drink something containing both carbs and protein no more than 10 minutes prior to your workout. And IMMEDIATELY after your workout, eat or drink more protein (not carbs, just protein).

The chemical reaction that burns fat for energy in your body also requires protein. So if you aren't eating enough protein both before and after a workout, your body will harvest that protein from your muscles instead. You don't want that!

Everyone's metabolism is different, but this is what the doctor told me to do for myself, anyway.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You could try deep tissue massaging, eating more protein after a workout with-in 45mins and time is all unless you feel the need to add pain meds for it!

medoingpushups.jpg
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Kate:
    I've read about the cold baths. Just haven't tried them....burrrrrr ;)

I like your suggestion for compression tights too. Good stuff.

Thanks!
    Bryn
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Do you do any foam rolling? I highly recommend that to help with muscle soreness.

Loves me some foam rolling ;0

Do it all the time. Good suggestion tho.

Thanks!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've tried all the sports drinks, but what about chocolate milk? Nutritionally, it's just about perfect for a recovery "snack" due to the protein/carb ration.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    I'll try it! Yummmm too. Never thought of chocolate milk but hey, right now, sitting is painful so I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    On cardio days I use regular whey protein - but on weight training days, I use GNC's Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (love the chocolate - it's made by Optimum Nutrition). Having used regular whey protein for months before trying the Wheybolic, I can say for me and my hubby - we've definitely noticed a significant decrease in muscle soreness! It has all kinds of crazy claims of increasing strength & stamina, etc. We can't attest to that stuff, but we can say that it gets us the protein we need after weight training and really has helped with reducing our muscle soreness.