Ashtanga Yoga and Vegetarian Diet

Hi there,

I am fairly new to vegetarianism and I have put on a few pounds since I started due to carb based meals. I am on a mission to loose at least 1 stone!

Please add me as a friend if you have any usefull tips to stay in shape whilst following a veggie diet.

I am also passionate about Ashtanga yoga. Please add me if you share my passion.

Wish me luck x

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I love yoga! I used to practice daily until a few years ago, now I'm lucky to squeeze in a day a week. I've lost a lot of flexibility as a result. I used to contemplate becoming a certified instructor....

Not a vegetarian, though. I eat meat maybe twice a week. Not a big meat eater.

Shannon
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    I love yoga too! However, people have been telling me that it doesn't help in losing weight. Are there certain "types" of yoga that will support weight loss. I really do NOT like cardio that is boring (walking on treadmill, runninr, etc).
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Hi. i'm an Ashtanga freak at the moment. I only started practising about 7 - 8 months ago, but I try to do a least 30 mins 4 times a week - more if I have time at the weekends as well.

I'm not really a vegetarian, but I care a lot about how meat is farmed. My husband has just started eating meat again after 20 years and we're trying to keep it ethical. We cook vegetarian at home most of the time. Things to avoid are probably too many cheese based dishes - look to incorporating lots of pulses (chick peas, lentils) etc which are high in protein, low in fat and moderate in carbs. We also use Quorn as a substitute regularly.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    I'm a vegetarian, but I don't do yoga. I'm too active to be so peaceful :P I eat a lot of vegetables, eggs and also sometimes noodles and rice (I changed my diet of noodles to Moroheiya it's really yummy, low calories and healthy, healthier than normal yellow noodles), Rice I always mixed brown with white.

Most of my exercises are cardio dances.. It's fun and I love the music! :D
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    I love yoga too! However, people have been telling me that it doesn't help in losing weight. Are there certain "types" of yoga that will support weight loss. I really do NOT like cardio that is boring (walking on treadmill, runninr, etc).

I work up a sweat in Ashtanga and it works as a type of resistance training using your own weight, so it will do you some good.