Apple sauce for baking

Options
EvelynForsyth
EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
Can i use homemade apple sauce for baking? I have a glut of apples in desperate need of use and i love to bake. I've had a look in a few supermarkets and haven't seen applesauce for baking and then applesauce in the condiments section is high in sugar and i presume isn't the same?
Thanks

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can use apple sauce in place of the fat in baking cakes. If you slice the apples and put them on a sheet pan and freeze. You can put them in bags and keep them in the freezer all winter and use them as you need them for apple sauce or fruit crisp.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Applesauce for oil 1:1. I do it all the time... I really don't remember the last time I've used oil. I much prefer applesauce, not for health reasons but I find it makes the cake (it is always cake with me :p) much more moist.

Granted I've never made applesauce, but I do buy the kind that is only apples and water.

Also, you can (not necessary, but if you are looking to lower the cals) cut out some sugar when using applesauce as well, since it will sweeten the recipe. Depending on my mood I might take out a 1-2T per half cup of sugar... only for granulated sugar, though, not brown.
  • EvelynForsyth
    Options
    Do you make it yourself or buy it? I'd really like to make it myself and am unsure whether it's literally just stewed apples...!
    Also, great idea about freezing apple slices. never even thought about it!!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Sure you can--just make sure it is smooth instead of chunky (easier to measure).

The unsweetened or 'no sugar added' applesauce should be right next to the others in the store, though. I usually find it with the canned fruit, not the condiments.
  • EvelynForsyth
    Options
    Sure you can--just make sure it is smooth instead of chunky (easier to measure).

The unsweetened or 'no sugar added' applesauce should be right next to the others in the store, though. I usually find it with the canned fruit, not the condiments.

Should have said, i'm form the UK and we don't have exciting condiments here...unless you count marmite!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do you make it yourself or buy it? I'd really like to make it myself and am unsure whether it's literally just stewed apples...!
    Also, great idea about freezing apple slices. never even thought about it!!
    Apple sauce is just stewed apples. Making it yourself allows you to add what you want, little sweetner, cinnamon or nothing at all. Leave it chunky or puree it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that, among other things, oil in baking recipes acts as a preservative. So if you bake with applesauce, keep your baked goods refrigerated or they'll go bad REALLY quickly!
  • EvelynForsyth
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone, going to make some tonight :)
  • staceyrec
    staceyrec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its easy to make in the microwave. I do this if I only need a little bit for a recipe. Peel the apple, throw pieces in a microwave proof bowl with some cinamon and water, cover with saran wrap, poke a few holes, and nuke on high until the apples are soft enough to use a fork to get the desired texture for the sauce.