need ideas for someone who cant walk/run

Options
I just came back to MFP after being gone for a few months and I gained all the weight I had lost back. So I am starting again and I am sticking to it this time :)
I had a spinal fusion done a year and a half ago and so my back already limits me to things in exercise I cant do. I was able to run and walk though which has been great for my dog and I. I really enjoy going out in the morning and walking/ running. I was just starting the C25K and then I woke up one morning with horrible pain in my right foot. I waited a couple weeks to see if it would go away and it still hurt so I went to the foot doctor and he said I have plantar fasciatis (not sure how it's spelled ) So now I cant walk and run without being in extensive pain where I cant hardly move the next 3 days. I am really upset about it because I really don't know what exercise would help someone like me. I did start the 30 day shred but even jumping jacks kill my foot :(
any suggestions would be really appreciated. :)

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,008 Member
    Options
    Try swimming or water exercise if you can't swim.
  • asilva3111
    Options
    Can you do an elliptical? They barely put any strain on your joints since it's a constant motion. I stopped using our treadmill and bought an elliptical; best thing I ever did. Knees and back no longer hurts due to walking/jogging/running for a length of time.

Before you buy one, join a gym and use it for a while; it is better than spending $400 on a clothing rack for the future. I bought mine at WalMart for $397+tax. Several programs; a bit of a pain in the neck to assemble. You can find them on Craigslist used!

Good luck!
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    I got the perfect cardio for you. Shadow boxing. I can give you a short routine if you like. You are just standing in one place while throwing all types of punches and combos.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainer may help ☺
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Not sure if you have access to one but maybe a recumbent bike. Good luck!
  • marshalemar
    Options
    I know what you are going through, I had the same thing and ended up having surgery for it. I have really bad feet and knees as well as some back issues so I also have trouble getting exercise in. I have found that riding a bike is the best thing for me and has a minimal effect on my feet. Good luck and hope you get better soon!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What about a stationary bike or even biking outside? Rowing? Rowing is a fantastic exercise!
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    A BALANCE BALL IS A GREAT WORKOUT! EVEN IF YOU JUST SIT ON IT FOR A FEW HOURS WHILE WATCHING TV.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree Swim its brlliant and will not put any pressure on your joint x
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Try swimming or water exercise if you can't swim.

This, Aqua aerobics is gentle on all your joints but you can burn a large amount of calories and you don't sweat :bigsmile:
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly similar issue. My doctor recommended swimming- can you do that? Also, someone else mentioned the elliptical. I got one for approx. $45 (off Amazon), and it sits in my living room, in front of my TV. Makes it much easier to remember to do it! No impact, but burns tons of calories. Good luck!
  • namisofly
    namisofly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I understand your pain. I have plantar fascitis as well. However, what most doctors don't tell you is plantar fascitis can be relieved by getting a can and rolling it over the bottom of your foot a few times a day. My greatest relief in exercise however comes from swimming. I bought swin fins to strengthen my hamstrings and gluteals and speedo fitness gloves for my arms. This enables me to do cardio and resisitance training at the same time. There is no stress to my joints and I am able to get a great workout. i meet with a trainer four times a week as well and after every exrcise, i usually have to sdit and take a 1 minute break from the pain in my feet. However, when I swim, I can go 30 minutes stong with very few breaks in between. To be quite honest, I feel like a skinny woman in the pool. It reminds me a of what I have to look forward to. Don't be discouraged. When I first started working out, I was so heavy, the most I could do was get in the sauna and walk about 4 laps. But noww, I can walk/jog in the pool for an hour and and swim for thirty minutes in one session! This reminds me that it is so important just to get moving.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    A woman on "The Biggest Loser" had injured her knee. They put her on upper cardio exercise. She didn't think she had lost that much weight at the end of the week. She had actually lost 17 lbs!
  • kayinola
    Options
    Lonnie: I am going through a similiar situation right now. I had surgery in 2008 on my spinal cord and recently..v ery recently found out I have spinal degeneration/arthritis, with several disk protrusions. They say sitting down puts the most pressure on your spine so avoid that all cost!! If you work in an office, set a timer so you get up every 20 minutes to do a 1 minute walk around the office. (get water, make copies, talk to a colleageu, etc)

My doctors have been telling me I need to strengthen my core -- so I've been doing yoga! and also using the machines at the gym for strength training. I was really intimidated with the "guys" section of the gym bc i didnt know how to use those machines.. but I asked, and also thoroughly read the directions, now its my favorite part!

So.. 1. focus on strengthening your core (back and stomach) with YOGA and those nice lookin machines at the gym 2. do short walks (moving is ALWAYS better than just sitting or laying down) 3. FOOD -- our diet is our automatic, natural medicine! You dont have to go all organic.. but eat smaller portions of good foods that you knwo where the direct source is... (a source is not Nabisco ^_^)
  • csmigin
    csmigin Posts: 30
    Options
    Even just moving your arms in circular motions (backwards and forwards) can sometimes help. I know they do these in retirement homes (a lot of my older relatives were/are in them). Good luck! I know you can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics!! Easy on your joints and feet and your workout won't be compromised!
  • lonnie26
    lonnie26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) really appreciate the ideas and I am going to give them a try :) It is really nice to have people to bounce ideas with and share stuff :) thanks again :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stay away from all exercise DVDs labeled high impact/mixed impact. Collagevideo.com will allow you to do a search on low impact videos.

I do not have any foot problems - so I'm not sure if this will work. ExerciseTV.com has a couple of free walking videos. You could preview these to see if they might work. They are not strictly walking ..... side steps, knee lifts, simple stuff. The free videos are called Start! Walking 1 Mile (2 miles also available) and Cardio Slim Down (1 mile).
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis in both feet at the same time. My best advice is to thoroughly stretch your foot before putting any weight on it. The pain is caused by a vicious cycle of the tendon constricting when not in use and then literally tearing itself off the bone when you put weight on it. I feel for you as I could only describe the pain as someone hammering a nail into my heels. You may also want to see if your doctor will prescribe a long course of naproxyn to reduce inflammation and you may want to consider getting an ortho insert for your shoes.
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a spinal fusion back in 1988, and for me I have done Scoliyoga. That has helped me be able to move around a lot easier. I haven't done it lately, but is is good exercise. Otherwise, I just do what my body allows me to do on a day to day basis....some days are a lot better than others!!

http://www.scoliyoga.com/Home_Page.html