Runner's please help

Options
I have a question- I have been working out since April 2011. I started to run/jog in May and had worked my way up to 3.5 miles at a very slow pace. My mile time was down to 13 minutes and then I started having some hip pain. I backed off and took it easy for a about a week and the pain got better but when I started to run again my hip pain returned. I should add that I have never run, ever prior to this, not even in PE in high school. It felt so good, burned calories and I was pretty proud of myself even if my time was slow. Oh and I'm pretty heavy at 232 lbs right now which is down from 273 lbs when I started. Anyway, we have recently gotten a treadmill and after about 2 months of other types of workouts I wanted to start running again so last week I ran a mile and walked 2 on Tuesday and Thursday- very slow as it has been a while since I ran, pace was 3.0 to 3.2 MPH. After 2 weeks of this my hip pain is back. It's not joint pain it's the muscle, it hurts to even walk on it. Almost like a cramping feeling. It feels better when I push on the muscle. So my question is - what can I do about it, do I need to stretch more, I've been taking Aleve and ibuprofen like candy to help with the inflamation in the muscle. I don't want to see a doctor because I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to not run and just walk or do other workouts until I loose more weight? I do not want to stop running, but am a wimp and this hurts. I do strength training 3 days a week and areobic 3 to 4 times a week. My husband, who is a retired Marine says I should just take 10cc's of suck it the f(&k up and run through the pain but as I said I'm wimpy. Advice please. Thank you.

Replies

• wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Pay attention to how your foot hits the ground. If you are hitting on your heel work to change that. Hit on the forefoot. Look up videos on Youtube about pose, chi or natural running. You'll get some ideas there. Also look up hip flexor exercises as well.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    could it be your shoes? I had aches and pains at first too....then I got fitted for the correct running shoes, and I no longer have pain. just a thought!

Good luck!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't ignore pain. Your body probably just needs to get used to exercise, try just walking for a week, see if the pain goes and try running slowly again. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty to avoid dehydration and stretch before exercise, even if you are just walking. Hope it helps.

Phil
  • bethanyarin
    Options
    I'm like you, have never been a runner before but have recently started and it feels good to be able to do it. I get knee pain rather than hip pain - the biggest thing I've noticed is that when I do some strength training to build my leg muscles the knee pain doesn't come up as often, and also I have to use a foam roller to roll out my IT Band (the muscle that runs all down the side of your thigh down to your knee). Both of those things help my body to handle the running without stressing my knee too much or pulling on it the wrong way. Might be the same type of thing for your hip...
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Sound advice - seek medical attention. If you choose not to, look up foam roller exercise on-line ESP for TFL. You can try running a rolling pin on the area but foam rollers work the best. Second - how old are your shoes and have you had your gait analyzed at a Running Store? I need shoes that compensate for my flat feet. 3rd - start slow. Return to a program like C25K which designed to slowly build your body up to the stresses of running. You can't jump into running without preparing your body for it. 4th - make sure to warm up for 5 min, do balistic stretches before, run, cool down 5 min, then staic stretches (or foam roller stretches)... Last - make sure to cross train, strength train and take appropriate rest days. Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I did some research when I started having hip pain from running and found that, for my symptoms, it was due to a weak lower back and weak gluteal muscles. Started doing exercises to strengthen like bridge/pelvic thrusts, side leg lifts and supermans and it helped a lot. I also make sure I stretch my quads, hip flexors, inner thighs and hamstrings really well as the tension in those muscles makes it a lot worse.

ETA - also make sure you have really good shoes and/or shoe inserts. It could be that your stride is off and it's pulling your muscles. Might not hurt to visit a running shoe store and see if they have any advice for you.
  • xhaller
    xhaller Posts: 95
    Options
    First of all, good for you on all the weight loss and the commitment to healthy living. It sounds like you are on the right track!!

I had a similar problem. I trained for a half marathon and then ended up with tendinitis in my hip. I had to go to physical therapy, which oddly enough I loved!! It was like having a personal trainer. I did a bunch of exercises to strengthen my thighs and hip area. One thing they encouraged was individual leg training. I don't know what your program is. The suggestions were things like instead of doing the seated leg press with both legs, do sets with only one leg. This gives the weak one a chance to become stronger without adding stress to the good leg. Another great thing is free standing single leg squats (you can google many variations). What you want to do is develop balance (through what people call proprioceptive exercises).

There is nothing more disappointing than laying off the running because of an injury. However, sometimes a small break (like a few weeks or a month) is better than being sidelined for a long time because of an injury.

At this point in my running life, I believe injury happens for one of two reasons: ramping up speed too soon or increasing frequency of running too much. It feels so slow to go down to running two days a week or to remain at the same pace for a month but I believe (at least for myself) that small increments in either of those directions are the safest.

Good luck!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you- I have been thinking about new shoes and will now do more than think, mine are about 3 yrs old and haven't gotten much use until recently but they are a cross trainer and not a true running shoe. I also have wondered about the strength in my legs, low back and hip/pelvic region as I have a very hard time holding a plank position in yoga. I plan on taking the advice and if it doesn't improve I will see a doctor. But I will not quit.

Thank you