If weight loss is simply "Calories in vs Calories out"

Options
If weight loss really is as simple as people like to say where it's suppose to just be, burn more calories than you put in, then why are there all these rules about having to eat a certain amount of times per day, having to eat a certain amount of meals or a certain amount of food per day at certain times?
It gets really confusing for me.
I'm sorry if this question is too vague. I just get overwhelmed with info sometimes.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If weight loss really is as simple as people like to say where it's suppose to just be, burn more calories than you put in, then why are there all these rules about having to eat a certain amount of times per day, having to eat a certain amount of meals or a certain amount of food per day at certain times?
    It gets really confusing for me.
    I'm sorry if this question is too vague. I just get overwhelmed with info sometimes.

Those rules are incorrect and have been scientifically proven incorrect.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The best "explanation" I have seen on this site was by a member named Qarol (I think) who responded to a similar question with, "My body doesn't do math."
  • RichLove1
    RichLove1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yep it's quite an urban myth from what I've read from a few articles and books, even though many nutrition and fitness professionals will tell you this.

Have a look at this article, is quite interesting:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

Rich
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It really is calories in/ calories out. The tricky part is the calories out, and sometimes even calories in. Not all nutrients are as bio available as others, and getting your body to actually burn calories isn't always the easiest thing due to plateaus etc. So when people say it's calories in/calories out they're not lying; it's just not always simple either.

As stated those rules are incorrect, but I'd guess they came about because getting the body go against its nature can be tricky. Sometimes it's guess work and we guess incorrectly.

EDIT: sometimes I feel like losing weight is like that line from Hitchhiker's, which I will probably get wrong: "The The knack [of flying] lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I should clarify something: The part that is a myth is the part about meal timing and frequency making any metabolic differences.

The part that is fact is calories in vs calories out. This is thermodynamics.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The only reason frequency would make any difference is if you go too long without eating, you may get hungry and overeat. But at best it's just a tip to help manage your calories. Not a rule!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Yep it's quite an urban myth from what I've read from a few articles and books, even though many nutrition and fitness professionals will tell you this.

Have a look at this article, is quite interesting:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

Rich

Rich, I appreciate you sharing this article. In my humble opinion, it's crap, and I'm in no way directing this comment at you.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for a healthy person is simply calories in vs calories out. The other stuff has more to do with energy, digestion and keeping muscle mass while losing weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories is is the basic over arching principle.

There are a variety of ways to implement it.

People suggest eating a certain number of times per day because it's hard for some people to eat 1500 calories per day in 2 meals and to keep those calories clean. It's a tip to make calories in vs calories out easier... not a rule to follow for metabolic change.

The suggestion for a certain number of calories per day a fundamental part of calories in vs calories out. The idea is that you figure out how many calories you burn on a typical day (calories out), then eat slightly less that that each day (calories in) to lose weight.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Those are really just myths. Calories in vs out really does work.

People say don't eat past ...pm usually because most people who eat/snack at night usually eat that "on top" of what they would nomally have (breakfast,lunch,dinner) so therefore their total calories are more for the day. If you plan to eat later, or have no choice it shouldn't make a difference if the only thing different is the time.
    Also, the 5,6,7 small meals a day thing is just personal preference, it works for some and not others. I prefer to have 5 meals a day as I get hungry often (after 3-4 hours usually) I would be starving in the evening if I didn't eat anything else past dinner. If people get hungry often, eating regularly keeps them from binging on high fat/sugar stuff that alot of people crave when they're hungry. The total daily calories should be the same whether you have 2 meals or 6.