Breaking the breakfast cycle

Options
2»

Replies

• Summarain
    Options
    I was speaking to a nutritionist yesterday and she told me to break the breakfast cycle, she said there is nothing that says we have to eat oatmeal or cereal, or even bagels or donuts… she recommended, eating vegetables, fruit, and whole grain wheat bread. She even went as far as to ask “why not eat dinner for breakfast?” eat the most calories that you will intake for breakfast, then less for lunch and even less for dinner.
    This is not a new concept I have heard this before but what my question is;
    Who has done this? What do you eat as your dinner/breakfast? I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but should I be having a Chicken sandwich, with carrots, Broccoli and brown rice for breakfast?
    I would rather eat a lot of small meals throughout the day than 3 big meals 4-5 hours apart from each other. What is everyones preference?

I believe that it is a great idea to do because you would end up burning more calories and losing more weight that way. If you think about it, you dont want to eat your biggest meal last as it would be the one that keeps the calories on you without you burning them cuz you would be sleeping...lol.

I am doing this now, I dont have any results as I am on a Scale Strike but I will let ya know what the out come is. Heavy breakfast, light lunch and very light dinner it is!:flowerforyou:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    OH i had not posted my weight loss,

2 weeks:
    Start weight = 190
    finish weight = 185
    5 pounds lost
    0 cardio
    5 days a week bulk weight lifting

big breakfast, medium lunch and little to no dinner. It was not easy but now that I am getting used to it i found that its quite easy!

not to mention i did not have thta much weight to loose so it should have been harder, yet it was not that bad!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    A typical Swedish breakfast when I was there was a ham and cheese sandwich. They eat pancakes for dinner, never for breakfast.

In the Army I often ate all kinds of things for breakfast. I don't know if it is better or not, (though eating more calories early and less late is a good idea on its own) but I do know that anything you eat, you can eat for breakfast. And its usually good cold.:smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    OK so two weeks in and I have been eating different things from Chicken, Turkey, Veggies, Brats, Hard boiled egs, and even went as far as having left over steak ;) mmmm

So far I have noticed that my muscles are not as sore the next day after a weight lifting workout, with the added protien from the chicken, brats, and the hard boiled eggs, i think its helping my muscles repair themselves.

it was really hard at first but now two weeks into it I feel fine, and I do not automatically grab for the cereal or oatmeal. I do like t occasional have oatmeal but that is because i like my banana bread oatmeal!

good luck to anyone who trys this.

I have also noticed my energy levels jumped up a bit, i have more energy and I no longer at 2:00 pm crash at work!

What a great challenge...glad you posted Hiand :wink: Sounds like it's working well for you...that's awesome, just saw this thread today so I may just give it a go:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Wait wait... not have BREAKFAST food?! Somebody is trying to kill me. I could have breakfast for every meal of the day. :love: Of course, I don't have oatmeal or cereal. I have eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast and (sometimes) pancakes. Not all at once of course, but I couldn't give those things up! :embarassed:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Wait wait... not have BREAKFAST food?! Somebody is trying to kill me. I could have breakfast for every meal of the day. :love: Of course, I don't have oatmeal or cereal. I have eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast and (sometimes) pancakes. Not all at once of course, but I couldn't give those things up! :embarassed:
    oh but you don't have to give them up!:noway: You could mix it up a bit and eat them for dinner sometimes:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I really like this idea but I am usually in a rush in the morning and doing very little besides my workout in the evening. I like my big meal at the end of the day so I am full while I am not as occupied. Have you felt hungry at all in the evenings??
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    I really like this idea but I am usually in a rush in the morning and doing very little besides my workout in the evening. I like my big meal at the end of the day so I am full while I am not as occupied. Have you felt hungry at all in the evenings??

Yes at first i felt hungry but after about 3 or 4 days that feeling went away, typically i have something really small, for dinner, like a peanut buuter and jelly sandwhich or something light, sometimes i make breakfast at night before i go to bed, like the brats i cooked them up and microwaved them in the morning... it was easier than i thought, i have always been a real big cereal person, now im more of a dinner for breakfast person... i did make teh sacrifice to get up an extra 15 minutes earlier so that i had time to re-heat my breakfast... as far as the feeling full at night i have nuts (pecans, or almonds) and a hard boiled egg its filling and easy to make 6-12 of them at a time!

tomorrow is spahgetti, with brown pasta and home made sauce :) mmmmmm i can not wait... i have been filling in alot of calories with a protein shake so it is difficult to eat your 600-800 calories for breakfast, (2000cal diet for me)
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I used to do this... back when I was a student with no dinner budget or a summer intern working in a city where I hardly knew anyone. At the time, I had no one to go to dinner with so I could easily eat a small salad for dinner and call it a day.

But now I go out for dinner several nights per week, and I find it very impractical to front-load my meals. I haven't mastered the art of ordering very little while my dinner companion is eating a full meal. So, I struggle through the day on less than 1,000 calories so that I can eat a 3-course dinner without gaining weight.

I know it's not conducive to weight loss. But I love going out to dinner with my boyfriend. I just try not to eat too much before dinner on those nights so that it evens out. And no, I haven't been losing weight since we adopted this schedule of several dinners out per week. It's a little frustrating.

I think I'm beginning to understand what it's like for you married MFPers! I'd gotten used to living on my own and eating frozen dinners every night. Then Mr. Wine-and-Dine came along, and don't get me wrong, he's wonderful but fattening! Just like the dinners we have together!
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    Its hard hard hard to loose dinner when you go out to eat... thats because of all teh extra fat and stuff they add to teh food to make it taste extra tastegasmic...

i have not been out to eat in at least 3 weeks, and when i do i usually go with soemthing chickenish and or soup...
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I used to do this... back when I was a student with no dinner budget or a summer intern working in a city where I hardly knew anyone. At the time, I had no one to go to dinner with so I could easily eat a small salad for dinner and call it a day.

But now I go out for dinner several nights per week, and I find it very impractical to front-load my meals. I haven't mastered the art of ordering very little while my dinner companion is eating a full meal. So, I struggle through the day on less than 1,000 calories so that I can eat a 3-course dinner without gaining weight.

I know it's not conducive to weight loss. But I love going out to dinner with my boyfriend. I just try not to eat too much before dinner on those nights so that it evens out. And no, I haven't been losing weight since we adopted this schedule of several dinners out per week. It's a little frustrating.

I think I'm beginning to understand what it's like for you married MFPers! I'd gotten used to living on my own and eating frozen dinners every night. Then Mr. Wine-and-Dine came along, and don't get me wrong, he's wonderful but fattening! Just like the dinners we have together!

OMG!! I can't even tell you how much that is like my boyfriend!!! 3 years ago (when I was single) I lost 30 lbs and was finally feeling good about myself. Then HE came along!! LOL! We went out all the time (and still do occasionally). So now that I have gained just about (if not) all of it back, I feel like crap, but of course he is perfectly comfortable with himself. So now I have the daunting task of making 2 separate dinners!! He doesn't like anything with veggies or fish so if it's not beef or chicken with potatoes, he's not eating it!!

I do sometimes (if I know we're going out ) "save" my calories for dinner. I still fill myself up with a bunch of fruits and veggies so that I'm not starving all day, but I have to agree with you yellow_pepper, I enjoy going out so I do what I can so that I can not feel guilty about it. I do try and make healthier choices than I used to (which sucks when he's sitting there eating pizza and chicken wings!) so I am definitely improving!! And as a matter of fact, getting used to it. To be quite honest, my belly doesn't care too much for that kind of food anymore. The grease gives me a gut-ache!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    bump
  • rosered51
    Options
    I think the idea is great, but the only way it would work for me is to make dinner (eat breakfast) at night and then put a portion in the fridge for me to heat in the morning. Then I would always be eating last nights leftovers!:laugh: I actually saw a special on one of the Health programs about a lady who did this and lost a significant amount of weight.

As for eating out, if I go out to eat (rare these days) I always ask for a to go box immediately with my meal so when they bring out my meal I put 1/2 away for another meal. They always serve double if not triple portions these days. That way I don't try to finish and clear my plate and then feel completely miserable later and I have a 2nd meal for another time.

Don't know if anyone else does that, but it really works for me...out of sight (plate) out of mind!:laugh:
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    Don't know if anyone else does that, but it really works for me...out of sight (plate) out of mind!:laugh:

that is a verry viable solution I have not tried it out but i think I might give it a try next time i am out with friends or on a date... ;)
  • rosered51
    Options
    Good Luck, hope it works for you also!:flowerforyou: