does tea count?

Options
I was just wondering....can drinking unsweet tea count as part of your water intake. If so, what other drinks count? I drink mostly water, crystal light, unsweet tea, and occasionally I will have a coke zero. Also, if you have any ideas on helping increase water intake, please share. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• hwilliams519
    Options
    I was just wondering....can drinking unsweet tea count as part of your water intake. If so, what other drinks count? I drink mostly water, crystal light, unsweet tea, and occasionally I will have a coke zero. Also, if you have any ideas on helping increase water intake, please share. Thanks a bunch!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If there's caffeine in it absolutely not. if it's decaf then you can if you choose to. Nothing "counts as water" except for water. But if you choose to count your fluid instead, then anything other than caffinated drinks will count.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle with me at all times and it helps me drink more. I stay thirsty and since I have it I don't get something else. Btw, I like your hair!!
  • CThorne48
    Options
    I got a Nalgene bottle (with no BPA) and I just try to drink 2 of those a day--its easier for me to make sure I drink enough that way. Plus I just like filling up that cup in the food section! :-)
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Unsweetened tea can count, but make sure it's not more than 1/4 or so of your fluids, especially if it does have caffeine. Basically, drinks that you can see through are made up of primarily water, so you can count them if you need to... BUT in moderation. Try to drink one or two cups of water between your cup of tea and your cup of crystal light. Mixing it up definitely helps you to enjoy it more, but nothing is better for your body than pure water.

I drink a cup of tea each day, too. Mine is non-caffeinated usually. Because I work out in the mornings, I make sure I drink at least 2 cups of water before my workout so I don't get dehydrated and 2 cups afterward. I sip from a bottle during my workout, but I don't drink a lot while I'm doing cardio (it upsets my stomach). I always make sure I drink before and after a meal and I have found it really easy to drink 8-10 cups a day.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I've asked a trainer once and he said it could count, but someone else I asked said no. I agree that it should be in moderation. I don't even have it everyday. Perhaps once or twice a week. But I usually get like a large size from Sonic. I do try to drink more regular water than tea or crystal light. But that helps me to get it all in. I get bored with water sometimes. Maybe I should just start making the decaf kind.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    yes, it can count. The diuretic effect of the caffiene is minimal, just increase your intake a little. Any liquids can count to your water intake, including coffee, tea, soda, crystal light, juice and the water in foods.
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    White tea has less than 1% of the caffeine of coffee, oolong teas average about 15%, black teas are about 20-25%, and green tea or herbal tea often has no caffeine in it at all.

Yes, I drink far too much tea. :) As I generally drink freshly brewed loose tea that has little caffeine, I usually count it towards water. I wouldn't count tea towards your water count if it is coming from a container that may have preservatives or whatnot in it; as a tea fanatic, I always say freshly brewed is best! :laugh:
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I should change my username to TeaAddict... I figure I have about 7-10 cups a day some days!!

Deffo time to switch to decaff.... but urgghh...its against my principals!!:grumble: :laugh: