HELP Quick!! Going to eat Mexican Rest for lunch!

Options
Fitwam
Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
Ugh! Okay...my hubby just text and says..."need comfort food, let's do Mexican"...which I love by the way. But I kinda went over last night with sushi and wine! So...I wanted to get back on track today with "good stuff". Any ideas what to order at a typical Mexican restaurant that won't take you way OVER???

I know, I know...chips and salsa!! Do I really have to count each chip? ha ha

Replies

• miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The Mexican restuarant's I go to usually have Grilled chicken and veggies..Might want to look for that! :)
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    order salad and don't eat the chips
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    fajitas-just the meat and veggies, not the tortillas, chicken taco salad, avoid the white queso sauce
  • stanchfielda
    Options
    Fajitas with no tortilla! :-)
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Taco salads are amazing, but that's just me. Watch how many chips/tortillas you put into it.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Just find some sort of chicken dish without the tortilla and get no cheese. All the veggies and chicken will be fine to eat. Any idea if the restaurant has a website? I can give better suggestions knowing the options. lol
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Campechina-spelling may be off.

It's a seafood cocktail with avocado and tomato. I add ketchup, salt, and hot sauce to mine. OMG! my favorite at mexican restaurants.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    the mexican restaurant I usually go to has a vegetarian fajita salad -- I just don't eat the shell - it's yum, and reasonable on calories!!
  • Granny1227
    Options
    Chicken Fajita - no chips, rice or beans Just the chicken and veggies are very good!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Some Mexican joints have a baked chicken or fish option. If not ask for lettuce and chicken and make your own salad. Use salsa as the dressing.
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Mexican! Whatever you do, say away from the tortilla chips and anything fried/crunchy. Maybe go with a fajita meal because then you can have grilled meat and fill up on flavor with onions, peppers, salsa, pico de gallo, etc. I would even eat the cheese and guacamole, but just make sure you are within your calorie "allowance" for the day. Enjoy!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Chicken fajitas - skillet with meat and veggies only - no tortillas, rice or beans. I hate eating out at a mexican restaurant - I LOVE chips and salsa but they don't exactly fit in with healthy eating :frown:
  • saetum
    saetum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheese and sour cream are the killers at Mexican restaurants. If you steer clear of those and eat a normal sized portion of whatever you get, it should be fine. Obviously calories are hard to calculate from more restaurants, but if it were me and I steered clear of the sour cream and cheese (and fried things of course!) I'd log it at 500 general calories and call it done. :)
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Looks like we're all saying "fajitas" at the same time, so that must be the winner! LOL :happy:
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, put the chips on another table. One thing I order that keeps me "safe" is chicken tortilla soup. I ask that they don't put cheese or sour cream in/on it.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Okay, my mouth is watering now. LOL!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just get what you want but watch your portion size. Cut it in half as soon as you get it, make sure you only eat the amount you're allowing yourself, and try to log it as best as you can. You can't deprive yourself, or this will never last!
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    If you do want some sort of tortilla, go for the corn. They're a lot smaller and lower in calories than the flour tortillas. Just stick to two or less! :)
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Last time I ate at a Mexican restaurant I got a "Chicken Fajita salad." It was quite good, and the calories weren't bad at all. It was basically chicken breast with veggies and salad and I had salsa instead of dressing.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks so much everyone! And OKAY OKAY...I will steer clear of those chips! Gosh dang it!!
    It is either going to be the chicken fajitas (no tortillas) or I think the had a talapia dish...and I need some OMEGA3s today!

I will smell like a burrito when I get back to work!! but it least I won't feel like I've blown it today!

Thanks for all the good advice! :flowerforyou: