Dieting while camping

Options
going camping this weekend...worried about s'mores, and hot dogs, and all the other yummy camping food..need ideas for healthy but fun foods to take!

Replies

• rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm also a camper... will be interested to see your replies.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Pack some dehydrated fruit snacks. If you can, try to find some without the added sugar.

Remember that you can have a hot dog with your fixin's, but just have one and plan ahead. :)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    We camp a lot and I wouldn't miss smores! I make smores regularly with a hershey kiss instead of the regular chocolate. It's under 200 calories and well worth it!!!!!!!
  • vtempes
    vtempes Posts: 47
    Options
    When we last went camping, we brought jennie-o turkey hot dogs, to help with those cravings...as for the smores, we went alone and just didn't bring the temptation (brought trail mix for the sweet tooth and that worked for us). Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do plenty of hiking to earn some extra exercise calories too. That will help give you more options.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good question lol I would like to know too, obviously granola bars would be good, maybe extra dark chocolate like lindt 85% cocoa bars, nuts, vegan hot dogs? lol
  • tegeos
    tegeos Posts: 20
    Options
    I am also going camping this weekend and will bring along nuts and fruit with quiona for breakfast. Dinners will be lean meats (Fish, Chicken, etc.) Only fish for me since I don't eat anything else, but that is my plan.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Pack some dehydrated fruit snacks. If you can, try to find some without the added sugar.

Remember that you can have a hot dog with your fixin's, but just have one and plan ahead. :)

This... but when I go camping, I am also doing a lot of different activities, (MT Biking and hiking) and not usually at the campsite the majority of the day. So I am not real worried about calorie intake. As long as you keep active and drink plenty of water to compensate and extra salt intake from some pre-packaged foods, then you will be fine. Keep it fun and active they way it is suppose to be.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There are some great things you can take camping. I bring Turkey burgers with me, cut fruit and veges. Put some chicken breast in a ziploc with italian dressing.. yum on the campfire. Bring cut up vegs you can put on the fire. Zuchini, tomatoes etc.

Make sure to get out and walk - whenever we go camping we are always walking somewhere or getting extra exercise. A little extra exercise and you can have one smore. The thing is if you put limits you may struggle with that so pick one thing that you will allow yourself and balalnce it out. Most importantly have fun!
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and have a 'smore. I find one is plenty and it's not high enough in calories to warrant agonizing over. Last time we went we grilled salmon the first night and had grilled veggies and couscous with it. Took lots of fresh veggies for snacks and always kept nuts on hand for the protein boost at snacktime. Opted for turkey sausages instead of hot dogs. Had one with bun, one without. Slice a sweet potato and roast in foil with garlic and a little olive oil. Camp food is the best!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When I go camping I make wrap sandwiches, fresh veggies and fruit, and popcorn. We would cut up veggies put into foil with crushed garlic place them over the fire.
  • anjacat
    anjacat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When we went, we limited our snacks to one a day, (we usually eat every 20 minutes with the group). This worked, and we had made popcorn over the fire for a snack while kids made smores. We did try smores with chocolate rice cakes, NOT THE SAME, lol
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    Baked chicken breast in tin foil over the campfire!
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why not try and catch some fish! Also there is a fun way of cooking baked potatoes by burying them with coals in an underground oven.