to be Gluten free?! yes? no?

Options
I've noticed that a couple of MFP friends are "gluten free". does that change anything in the caloric intake? is it less carbs? what? Can someone please enlighten me?

Replies

• cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a gluten intolerance, it's really not a good idea health wise to go gluten free.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Gluten free just means that they either can't or are trying not to eat foods containing gluten. You can eat high carb or low carb while gluten free, just like you can while eating gluten. Most people who are gluten free are because they are allergic or overly sensitive to it.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a gluten intolerance, it's really not a good idea health wise to go gluten free.

Yup I agree there..also it's really expensive..my friend has to do it and wow!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If I had a choice, I would *not* be gluten-free. I am gluten intolerant and was really sick for over a year before I figured it out. I would give my pinky finger to have regular bagels again....
  • CAlivinMO
    CAlivinMO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Most gluten free foods are actually higher in caloric value so it is not necessary unless you suffer from Celiac disease or are affected by a sensativity to gluten. Stick with a healty well-balanced diet and you'll be fine!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Gluten free diet means either they are allergic to wheat, gluten or have an intolerance. It causes a lot of medical issues so if you do you have to avoid gluten all together. So Bread, pasta, crackers, cookies etc are out.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a gluten allergy/sensitivity it's not really necessary. I'd just suggest going with sprouted grain breads and such, much easier on your digestive system and better for you.
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Gluten free just means that they either can't or are trying not to eat foods containing gluten. You can eat high carb or low carb while gluten free, just like you can while eating gluten. Most people who are gluten free are because they are allergic or overly sensitive to it.

Oh!! gotcha!! I see that's expensive as well! Does it alter the taste of the food?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Based on what?

I'm gluten free with no gluten intolerance. But I'm also completely grain free because my diet is mostly Primal. So far, it has done wonders for me.

So I say YES! But you have to be willing to get rid of wheat...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of gluten-free junk available so gluten-free itself doesn't mean lower calories or necessarily better for you. But if you are swapping out gluten-foods for naturally gluten-free foods- meat, eggs, veggies, fruits it can definitely impact your caloric intake as well as your general health.

Whether you have a clinical need for going gluten-free, like celiac disease or gluten intolerance, or not, some people have found they feel better cutting it out of their diets anyway. But just to jump on the gluten-free trend without understanding why or using it as an excuse to eat more nutritionally devoid foods won't give you much health benefit.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Oh!! gotcha!! I see that's expensive as well! Does it alter the taste of the food?

Yes. It also alters the consistency, since gluten provides elasticity in dough. It's pretty difficult to find normal-tasting gluten-free products, so I usually just avoid bread stuffs.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be gluten free unless I was forced. It's nice to have a sandwich on whole grain bread and not get sick afterwards. I did notice a large drop when I stopped eating it, but that's b/c I lost so many other foods as well.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have recently gone Gluten Free - If you want some insight from a medical professional - I recommend you read the book Wheat Belly. A very good read and very informative!!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone Gluten Free - If you want some insight from a medical professional - I recommend you read the book Wheat Belly. A very good read and very informative!!

Second
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recently went gluten free as well. Not due to an intolerance, just for health reasons. I have not found it more expensive or a problem. I think it may be more expensive if you are eating processed foods and buying the gluten free option but if you cut out processed foods as well then there isn't a huge difference.

I bake with coconut flour now and althoug it is a different consistancy to wheat flour I find it is just as good.

I am not sure why the other posters have said it is not a good idea - everything I have read indicates that eating gluten is what is not a good idea. Not the opposite.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks on here who you see are GF do it because of health issues not just a lifestyle change. Some reasons for that are: Celiac Disease, Gluten Intolerance, Wheat Allergy, Autism, etc. etc.

That said, the comment that it is not a good idea healthwise is incorrect. For example: People with celiac disease are more likely to have:

Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and Sjogren syndrome
    Addison's disease
    Down syndrome
    Intestinal cancer
    Intestinal lymphoma
    Lactose intolerance
    Thyroid disease
    Type 1 diabetes

Also, the statement that most GF foods are higher in calories is not true. Some are, but you really have to look at the labels. For example when we went GF 2 years ago my husband lost 30 pounds as I only cook GF. Tell me why that happened with not other changes?

As one poster said you can do low or high carb and be GF. It is more expensive if you plan on replacing all your foods with GF options i.e. bread, pasta, cereal, etc. HOWEVER, if you choose to go low carb and or eat clean, it really isn't more expensive.

If you are still interested in doing so for a change, feel free to friend me and/or e-mail me with questions!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of gluten-free junk available so gluten-free itself doesn't mean lower calories or necessarily better for you. But if you are swapping out gluten-foods for naturally gluten-free foods- meat, eggs, veggies, fruits it can definitely impact your caloric intake as well as your general health.

Whether you have a clinical need for going gluten-free, like celiac disease or gluten intolerance, or not, some people have found they feel better cutting it out of their diets anyway. But just to jump on the gluten-free trend without understanding why or using it as an excuse to eat more nutritionally devoid foods won't give you much health benefit.

This