Intermittent Fasting

Options
In my world of diet crazes I decided to try the I.F. approach. I like that discipline of only having a certain time period to eat and not so many restrictions on what I eat. (Although, I continue to eat healthy the majority of the time anyway) I am about a week and a half in and have lost about 6lbs. I realize the majority of this is water but it's easy and working for me. That's all that really matters. Any others out there having luck with this?

Please.. no anti - fasters. Let's keep this nice. :)

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i do it maybe twice a month, only if I have a very big meal and its just dinnertime - dinnertime with tons of water in between.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I IF daily, eat what I want, and love it! Glad its working for you.
  • Franhall06
    Options
    I'm doing the 16/8, btw. I like to eat way too much to be fasting for a full day. lol
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have not been fasting but eat about 800-900 calories daily and some days 300-500. I have been losing weight and haven't had serious side effects. I am over 300 lbs. though and that might be why I am not starving. (lots of fat to draw from)

I fasted for long periods when younger and lighter however and had hair loss and dental damage.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    As long as a doctor has said it's okay, then I'm glad it's working for you. I personally couldn't do it. I'm hypoglycemic, and if I don't eat regularly (6 times a day--about every 3 hours), I get the shakes, splitting headache, cold sweats...not pretty.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have not been fasting but eat about 800-900 calories daily and some days 300-500. I have been losing weight and haven't had serious side effects. I am over 300 lbs. though and that might be why I am not starving. (lots of fat to draw from)

I fasted for long periods when younger and lighter however and had hair loss and dental damage.

Please don't take this the wrong way but intermittent fasting has nothing to do with what you're talking about. When done properly it is not damaging like what you are doing.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

This may work short term, but you can actually slow down your metabolism doing this. Be sure you're supervised by a doctor.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Don't worry you'll plateau soon.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Please.. no anti - fasters. Let's keep this nice. :)

I don't mean to hijack, but if there are any anti-fasters, bring it son.

Leangains is legit, just don't think that it's a magic fat loss pill as those don't exist. IF is a different eating schedule and in my personal opinion, it's AWESOME.

Eating at a deficit doesn't feel like a deficit when you cram in 2000 calories in a short time.

It's not for everyone, but I think it's brilliant.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options

This can't be healthy
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ive been IFE since January and absolutely love it (lost a little over 40lbs). On an 18/6 by the way. Broke me through a plateau, and really gave me control over my eating and hunger. I count and log all of my food, and make sure that I eat cleanly and within my calories and that I get all of my nutrients. And after all of these months, its become an easy way to stay on track.

IFE isn't about eating below the 1200 mark, so there is no reason for anti-fasters to be against it. Its just about the timing of the food.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I believe eating under 500 cal is not healthy...but it its working for you, good luck!

i have fasted before, but then tend to devour whatever is infront of me afterwards!
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Options
    Hi, I'm the poster eating 800-900 cals a day. I am supervised by a general practitioner and a nutritionist who have recommended this to me as my metabolism is already so slow that eating 1200 cals a day would produce such slow weight loss that I would not achieve the health benefits I would achieve by losing more quickly.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Hi, I'm the poster eating 800-900 cals a day. I am supervised by a general practitioner and a nutritionist who have recommended this to me as my metabolism is already so slow that eating 1200 cals a day would produce such slow weight loss that I would not achieve the health benefits I would achieve by losing more quickly.

OK but you are still posting way off-topic. Your low-calorie diet and your previous unhealthy fasting is not even slightly related to IF.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Options
    ELIZABETH! No one cares!
    Why are you behaving as if you are so superior?
  • KettyLan
    Options

Thank you for sharing this....to me it makes sense, as long as you are supervised by your doctor....In all honesty, there are times that I would like to eat fewer calories cuz my metabolism is kind of slow as well...Also, I have noticed that I only lose weight when I eat way below 1200 calories.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I do an IF once a week, usually Tue. or Wed.
    I eat a normal breakfast and lunch and stop eating for the day at 1pm. I do my normal cardio and weight training after work. If I'm hungry I have a cup of bouillon or tea. The next morning I have a normal breakfast at 7 am.
    This is a fast of only 18 hours, so not at all dangerous. I simply skip a meal, saving 500-800 calories once a week.
    On non-IF days I do 1200 calories and eat back most or all of my exercise calories. I've lost 32 pounds since Memorial Day.
  • KettyLan
    Options
    I do an IF once a week, usually Tue. or Wed.
    I eat a normal breakfast and lunch and stop eating for the day at 1pm. I do my normal cardio and weight training after work. If I'm hungry I have a cup of bouillon or tea. The next morning I have a normal breakfast at 7 am.
    This is a fast of only 18 hours, so not at all dangerous. I simply skip a meal, saving 500-800 calories once a week.
    On non-IF days I do 1200 calories and eat back most or all of my exercise calories. I've lost 32 pounds since Memorial Day.

I love this idea of fasting!!! I will definetly apply it to my diet!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Tiffany! Stop hijacking the thread with your ignorance and bad advice!
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot of posting that are talking about IF lately and am interested in learning more about it. Does anyone have a specific website that they would recommend to be helpful for someone who is new to IF? Thanks!