.5lb loss per week vs. 1lb loss per week...

Options
For those last stubborn 5lbs or less, what has averyone found works best or felt best? Setting loss at .5lb a week loss or setting it to 1lb a week loss..

I started at .5 and didn't see much change, and then went to 1lb, now I am setting it to .5 lb loss to see if that helps now that i am regularly jogging three times a week...

But wanted to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on whats worked best for them those last few stubborn pounds??

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter for me because the numbers are all the same either way for me. I have like 8 lbs left to lose, and I dont lose .5 or 1 lb a week, it varies every week!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a good reference,
    if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -20 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

having too large of a deficit when you don't have much fat stores can result in a loss of lean muscle instead of the fat you are trying to lose.

Why not set your goal for 0.5/week and if you think it is too much try to stay about 100 cals under which would work out to about 0.7 lbs/week.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i will see how the .5 a week goes...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've always had it set at a half pound a week or less (although only like 10lbs of my weight loss have been while on MFP).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 of my 15 pounds in 2 months and then the last 2 would not budge. I was originally at 1 lb/wk, switched to 1/2 pound for 3 weeks, switched to maintenance for 3 weeks, and then switched back to 1 lb with a spike day (eating 2xBMR, preferably on a rest day). I've been doing this for 4 weeks and just finally lost a pound.

1.4 lbs. to goal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had 30 pounds to lose total and plateaued for 2 months at the half way point (15 pounds down). I then switched it to 0.5 lb/week and the weight started coming off again. I currently have 2 pounds until goal and everything has stagnated again. I may try doing maintenance for a few weeks like sleepytexan said and see if I can lose these last 2 pounds!
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference