Business Lunches and Dinners

Options
Does anyone else on here have to attend a lot of business lunches and dinners where the menu is preplanned? How do you deal with it? I go to at least 2 a week and I'm tired of having no idea what I am eating.

Replies

• reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It can be so tricky. My husband does this more than I do (I tend to eat at restaurants). He eats the center of the sandwich, leaving the bread. He takes extra salad. He eats fruit and cheese when it is available. He only drinks water (sparkling or still) with lemon instead of soda. Finally, he keeps 1oz bags of nuts in his briefcase and his car. He has started doing a 30 minute run in the evening when the choices he made were not great ... He feels like he burns off the bad stuff before it sticks.

Recently he was hosing a meeting at is office and brought in lunch. He took great care to order healthy and was rewarded with many compliments for his effort. One lady spoke to him after about how she had lost a lot of weight (60+ I think) and how happy she was not to have to eat the garnish of some unhealthy lunch. LOL.

We both eat out a lot and no longer eats the rolls (big change for him more than me) and order lean, sauce on the side, double veggie (no potato). I usually try to order last - I never want to make people feel bad or change what they planned to eat because of how I eat. Not sure if my husband does the same ... Something tells me he could care less ;)
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I go to a lot of charity functions, events etc.. as part of my job and they always serve an entire meal that is completely sauced up. Lots of creamy sauces dumped all over the food. Thats the most difficult. I forgo the dessert and bread. I try to eat just part of it but usually because I'm coming straight from work I am starving when I get there. Good tips on the sandwiches, I have some of those luncheons as well.
  • reeldancer
    Options
    Have you ever tried asking for a gluten free meal. While I am not GF I eat that way 80% of the time (my daughter is celiac). Give it a try. You can say you have gluten intolerance.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have no problems going to the server or the lunch organizer beforehand and saying I am allergic to something / diabetic / whatever and can you have a separate lunch option?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I get ambushed with a lot of lunches and some dinners. I preplan my day the night before so I know how many calories I'll be working with. For example, I have a business lunch tomorrow. If you look in my diary right now, I already have my home made meals (breakfast and dinner) planned out. Now I know I have 700-odd calories to play around with at lunch tomorrow and I will eat accordingly. If it is catered I tend to load up on the vegetables or salads and eat the creamy or meaty things sparingly. I used to struggle with this but after being on MFP long enough, I now know what a reasonable meat portion size looks like, what 500 calories of pasta looks like, etc. where I am confident that I can eyeball a 700 calorie meal like I will tomorrow.
  • Sharon009
    Options
    I get ambushed with a lot of lunches and some dinners. I preplan my day the night before so I know how many calories I'll be working with. For example, I have a business lunch tomorrow. If you look in my diary right now, I already have my home made meals (breakfast and dinner) planned out. Now I know I have 700-odd calories to play around with at lunch tomorrow and I will eat accordingly. If it is catered I tend to load up on the vegetables or salads and eat the creamy or meaty things sparingly. I used to struggle with this but after being on MFP long enough, I now know what a reasonable meat portion size looks like, what 500 calories of pasta looks like, etc. where I am confident that I can eyeball a 700 calorie meal like I will tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions. Generally there are around 500 to 1,000 people at the events I attend so its not always feasible to ask for a special diet. But I will when I can.
  • Sharon009
    Options
    I have no problems going to the server or the lunch organizer beforehand and saying I am allergic to something / diabetic / whatever and can you have a separate lunch option?

Normally its not feasible to get a seperate lunch option but you've given me an idea on the ones that I can.
  • reeldancer
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Generally there are around 500 to 1,000 people at the events I attend so its not always feasible to ask for a special diet. But I will when I can.

I guarantee you can get a special meal. They absolutely set some food aside for this kind of thing. When you arrive go right for the function manager with your table number and request. I can't tell if you pay your way (or if work does) but as long as you boss/client will not frown and it will not put your job at risk I say go for it. My husband and I attend events like yours 2-4 times a month so I can deal. It if was 2-4 times a week it would be a different story.