Healthy breakfast on-the-go?

So, due to construction on just about every road between my home and work, my morning commute has basically doubled in time. I already have to get up earlier than I want in order to get to work on time (SO not a morning person!) and I barely have time to make breakfast, let alone sit down and eat it before I leave. In addition, I can't eat once I get to work because I'm a librarian and am stationed out at the public desk. A cup of coffee is a-ok out there; a bowl of cereal or plate of eggs, not so much!

So, long story short, I am looking for suggestions for breakfast I can eat in my car on the way to work with a minimum of muss and fuss. Maybe something I can make the night before? Or something very quick and easy to whip together last minute? But definitely something that doesn't require utensils to ingest, ha! Thanks!

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Smoothie.

Protein powder
    Liquid of some sort (water, coconut milk, almond milk etc)
    some people like Yogurt
    Fruit - banana and./or frozen berries
    crushed ice

Blend and consume.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    How about a smoothie with protein powder, frozen fruits, milk, ice...maybe a nutbutter?!..
  • VitaLeta
    VitaLeta Posts: 19 Member
    http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2009/02/20/bulk-breakfast-burritos-convenient-cheap-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

We've (read: I've) been making these for my husband. They freeze really nice and reheat in the microwave in a few minutes. Then he's out the door breakfast in hand!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    I honestly eat a solid breakfast maybe 1x/month. I always have a protein shake.

Solid options....protein bars...(mind ths sugars and such)
    Almonds...keep ya full!
    PB sand on wheat bread
    Fruits
  • raedlewis
    raedlewis Posts: 38 Member
    Make ahead breakfasts are great. I like to make breakfast burritos ahead of time. Low carb tortilla, egg whites, salsa and sometimes some turkey sausage or bacon and low fat cheese. Cook and assemble them ahead of time then just wrap in a paper towel and plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge or freezer. I just take the plastic wrap off and heat it in the microwave or a min or two and then I've got yummy breakfast on the go.
  • I have fallen in love with Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein drinks. The mocha cappuccino one is my favorite--you get your coffee, protein, and chocolate fixes all at once! A little high in sugar, but delicious
  • Thanks, everyone! I really like the idea of the breakfast burritos. I may try smoothies, but I always feel like solid food keeps me full longer. Could just be psychological, though, ha!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I believe Fiber also keeps you feeling full...and healthy fats.

I've been on grapefruits the last week + my smoothie. Seems to work well.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    I have a 100 cal thomas english muffin with natural pb (tbsp each side or less), if you let the muffin cool down then the pb won't melt, I eat that pretty much every day with my coffee.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Yeah, they aren't clean, blah, blah, blah...but I love in a pinch the Jimmy Dean's french toast griddlers or pancake griddlers. They use turkey sausage and are 70 seconds in the microwave. Warm, yummy, sweet/savory. The french toast is 210? Pancake ones are 230? 11 grams of protein..and incredibly delicious.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    *waves* Hi! I used to make these egg "muffins" all the time and they're really easy; make 12 of them at once and you've got about 6 days worth of breakfast (I would eat 2 at once; they're not that big). Plus, you can add all sorts of your fav veggies and/or meats and switch them up. Bake, let them cool, put in baggies and refrigerate or freeze, then pop in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds and you've got a portable breakfast in a flash!

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 260 Member
    I have fallen in love with Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein drinks. The mocha cappuccino one is my favorite--you get your coffee, protein, and chocolate fixes all at once! A little high in sugar, but delicious

X2!!!!! My fav is Vanilla Chai!
  • I drink Shakeology in the mornings! It's a meal replacement shake full of vitamins and minerals and awesome things! Fills you up and gives you energy and improves your mood and much much more!
  • HappyHoo
    HappyHoo Posts: 1,175 Member
    I eat 2 hard boiled eggs and whole grain toast with light butter most mornings in my car.

I cook the hard boiled eggs ahead of time and peel the night before. I heat them for about 10-15 seconds in the microwave in the morning to take the chill off.
  • *waves* Hi! I used to make these egg "muffins" all the time and they're really easy; make 12 of them at once and you've got about 6 days worth of breakfast.

Hi back!! *grin* Thanks for the recommendation; those look great and really easy, too!!
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Kind bars & fruit!
  • I drink a smoothie made from chobani greek non fat yogurt, and a banana or a mango in the mornings:) Just add the yogurt, fruit, and some ice in my magic bullet and in less than a minutes it's ready to go:)