Decreasing food intake, controlling hunger......better idea?

Options
My magic calorie number right now seems to be between 1400min-1500max cal per day. If I eat that way everyday I tend to lose even tho mfp recommends about 1550cal a day for me. Somedays though, depending on what I eat, if I get my water in or not, and how much I exercise, I remain hungry after eating those many calories and end up eating something to curb my hunger. Generally I eat extremely healthy meals (except when I allow myself a "fun" day after a good week of loss) and rarely snack except maybe one in the evening. I am wondering if on days when I am not satisfied and have reached my "green zone", if I should just stay hungry and let my stomache "adjust" to less food? Or if I should keep my hunger under control and eat something? Reason being it tends to hit me in the evening before bed and I want to lose more, but not be hungry. TIA :)

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the healthiest thing to do, but I just let myself stay hungry or eat things like lettuce or a carrot until I'm full from foods like that. Reason is because I love waking up on an empty stomach for a nice, tasty breakfast.

I found that by doing this, my stomach has adjusted and now I get full on my calorie intake. Even on my cheat day, I struggled to eat more than my calorie limit.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but my guess is that you still have the defalt MFP settings.

Eat more protein (this keeps you full) and lower your carbs -- especially the processed stuff (white bread, white rice, mac & cheese, cake etc)

PS I like to eat at night before bed so I always save calories to do it. I just don't eat carbs -- they don't help me sleep.
    I usually have some greek yogurt.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the healthiest thing to do, but I just let myself stay hungry or eat things like lettuce or a carrot until I'm full from foods like that. Reason is because I love waking up on an empty stomach for a nice, tasty breakfast.

I found that by doing this, my stomach has adjusted and now I get full on my calorie intake. Even on my cheat day, I struggled to eat more than my calorie limit.

Thanx!!! Thats what I want too. To have bad days that wont even be so bad anymore. I may just do that
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I save some of my calories for a snack before bed -- I sleep better if I'm not hungry.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Its harder for me to eat more protein and lower carbs bc I dont make all of my meals. So I eat what we have or what is made. I am trying to be better with carbs, because i know that is a huge factor. I guess I just need to really buckle down on myself and really focus.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just saw a Dr. Oz show yesterday touting chia (yes, Chia pet Chia) as a nutritious way to fill up faster - it swells to 9 times its size in you stomach making it so you can't eat as much. I'm going to check it out at our neighborhood health food store. But, I go with what MissMaryMac33 says - eat more protein. I changed my settings to 30% calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbs. And, I get most of my carbs from vegies - huge servings of vegies have fewer calories than other foods and more fiber to help make you fee full longer.
  • lbshines
    Options
    Tara-

I have the same problem. Lately I have been saving my last 200 calories for a snack before I brush my teeth-
    and it really helps. I also find that if I eat a cup of Motts no sugar added applesauce (50 calories) mixed with 1cup measured from a tub of Danon "light and fit Vanilla Yogurt (110 calories) it gives me a nice full feeling. PLUS its YUMMY YUMMY!!

Next time your at the grocery shop pick up some Motts "healthy harvest- summer strawberry" it mixes nicely with the vanilla yogurt to make an awesome "dessert" or breakfast.

As far as feeling hungry- I actually close my eyes sometimes and really experience hunger. I use my inner strength to actually FIGHT it - or at least tame it modestly. Then I chug a cup of water and if I still feel hungry in 5 minutes- a small snack will hold me over.

Because I have been so used to always quenching hunger by eating - I actually never really felt hungry. Now I let hunger be my guide to when my body needs "fuel"...

It's hard- but our bodies will adjust- and for the better- over time~!

Hope this helps.
  • cayzweaver
    cayzweaver Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just came back to mfp after several months off. I still want to lose this last 20 pounds. I'm following a 1200 calorie model with 90g protein, 105g cards and 47g fat. The reason I'm starting so low is that I'm not sure how accurate my calorie counts are. I am measuring and weighing everything, but I just can't imagine that you can eat this much food on such a low number. I'm training for a 5K in November (My First!), using the "Run Your Butt Off" training plan. They suggest eating .5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. I feel great and hopefully the scale will show some progress by next week. I also agree that fiber is really important in feeling full. I love vegetables!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Exercise a bit more so you can eat a bit more, or drink some broth. It fills you up so you feel full and is only 5 cal (depending on brand).
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Thanx for all the advice!!!! I appreciate you all taking the time =). I am on a limited exercise schedule because I have a 5 month old who is in control of my free time lol. I just need to have more self control and try harder not to eat something just bc everyone else is and my bf is.......Also I like the ideas I have gotten and I will definitely be putting them to use!