Talk to me about Barefoot Running

Options
I get shin splints, bad. They hurt like hell. Every time I jog, or even a Jillian Michaels DVD. I went to a shoe store, and had my feet measured and fitted for orthodic inserts. I have walked on them for three days now and jogged once. My shin has felt better, but still sore and I'm not sure if it's from not being completely better before starting again or not. I am in a group on FB and mentioned that I think my problem may be fixed, but another member said I should be running barefoot. So anyone hear have any experience with it? On a normal day, I do go barefoot, and then flip flops when out. So anyway - fire away. Tell me pros & cons that you think will help me out in my decision to give barefoot running a try.

I am not an experienced runner. I am on week 4 day 3 of C25K.

ETA: I have a "high" arch according to the people that had the machines that did the "test" on my feet. Sorry I do not know the correct terminology. ;)

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine running barefoot on pavement or on a treadmill.

as for your shin splints, I believe you should wait for them to recover before running again. if you try to start up again before the shin splints are healed, you're just asking for an unresolved issue there.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's great. Just watch your step.
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    Try looking at those Five Fingers for running. I have a LOT of friends that wear them to run in, and it's pretty much like running barefoot. They LOVE them and say they have NO problems after running in them.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefoot-sports/barefoot_running.htm
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Is this running with those special barefoot running shoes? I've heard of them but know nothing about them. Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what people say about them.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Five Fingers are rather comfy. I'd suggest you also look into either ChiRunning or Pose Running to provide guidance on form
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues with shin splints and even some repetitive toe fractures. Haven't had a problem once I started using the 5-fingers :)
  • Athera82
    Options
    I just started wearing Vibram 5's last week. I love them!!! You have to start out slow and work your way up in distance (like 1/4 mile then 1/2 mile...). I ran a Half Marathon 11 days ago, so I was sore when I started. Make sure you're in good condition when you start so that you can really see where the pain is. Your calves will hurt for the first couple days, but after that you should be fine. I did a mile run on a tread mill yesterday and I feel fine today! Good luck with you goals!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to run barefoot on the treadmill. It's been great for him.

I can't do it though. I'm so used to my running shoes.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    It's great. Just watch your step.
    Pretty much it. I love it. I don't run barefoot all the time though. Just every now & then on my short runs. Otherwise, I've got my Sauconys on. :)
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    'Barefoot running' for most people is wearing Vibram 5 Fingers. I love it, but it is not for everybody. Ease into it slowly if you take it up.
  • circuitsix
    Options
    I used to get shin splints fairly bad as well. I found getting propely fitted shoes helped a lot and one very important noe...avoid hills! And decline or incline will put undue stress on your shins and make for a very painful recovery. Keep to flat ground with little to no elevation change and get your feet looked at.

I tried barefoot running and it takes a long time to get used to, I could not get comfortable with it.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist would smack me if I even suggested barefoot running.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't do barefoot running, but I'm considering it. I had plantar fasciitis 20 yrs ago. Healed and was fine until 1 1/2 yrs ago and it came back with a vengence. I was told by a podiatrist to stretch and exercise my feet as well as use a birkenstock orthotic... It has helped some, but the more I read about being barefoot... the more it makes sense. I mean, we weren't borne with shoes, right? LOL Here's a site w/ some info from Vibram. My brother and two of my friends wear their shoes and LOVE them. Merril has also teamed w/ Vibram to make a barefoot shoe that is comfortable but I haven't bought them yet.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefoot-sports/
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I recently got a pair of Vibram Five-Fingers (google it if you're not familiar with them) and I love them. I wear them for all my workouts except the high impact ones like running. However, I do plan to run in them eventually. I'm just a bit nervous about doing it as I still have a bit too much weight on me and am concerned about the pounding on my joints. I do use them for Zumba, weight training, treadmill, elliptical, stairstepping and other workouts with more moderate impact.

When I bought them, the store had a brochure with recommendations for switching to running in their shoes. I suppose these would apply to any brand of barefoot running shoes. The recommendations include doing about 2 weeks worth of exercises designed to strengthen your feet and they suggest that you start out slowly by only running 10% of your normal run in the Vibrams and then slowly increasing the distance you run in them.

I know folks who have switched to them for things like running and they no longer have hip and knee problems that the typical running shoes gave them by giving them an unnatural gait. So I believe they can work for what you need but you should really let the shin-splint heal before running no matter what kind of shoes you decide to run in.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after about 2 months of running, i now wear the 5finger Vibrams and havent had an issue since!
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    Hey! I'm not sure were you're from of if you'd be able to get these but I have some of the same foot and ankle problems that you mentioned so I started to use these "barefoot" shoes http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot
    THEY ARE AMAZING... I started using them about year ago both outside and on the treadmill, they are PERFECT for the Jillian DVD's because they're light and flexible yet you have grip and don't slip when in lunge or pushup positions. Trust me, read up on them, look into them and try them out. They can be a little expensive but they last long and you'll love them. They're insulated/ventilated/water proof... it's crazy.
    These are the exact pair that I have
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22879W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Pure-Glove?dimensions=0

Aaaamazing! :) all the best!
  • akvreeland
    Options
    So I have a ton of foot related issues (thankfully shin splints arent something I have an issue with), I was going through running shoes every 6-10 weeks because I couldnt seem to find a pair that worked for both feet. Until I tried a pair of Vibram toe shoes ( http://www.vibramfivefingers.com). They are AMAZING. I use them as a training shoe and not for every run. But they help my stride and posture in my "regular" running shoes. You do have to be patient in breaking them in, so if you are going to go this route you might have to wait until you are done with C25K or start over because it does take a long time to get your muscles used to them. Tomorrow will be W4D3 for me doing C25K. Feel free to friend me if you want. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have (if any). Hope this helps.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had the same shin pain issues in traditional running shoes. I bought some Vibram 5 fingers shoes this spring and completed C25k in them and am planning my 3rd 5k race in them this Sunday. The minimalist shoes fix your form - you can't run with bad form 'cause it fricking hurts if you do. Like someone else said, start SLOW. I walked only in mine for a couple of months to build up strength in my feet before I ever took one running stride. DH (who just finished his 4th marathon) bought some minimalist shoes at the same time (different shoes, don't remember which ones), went out and ran 8 miles, because he has been running for a few years and didn't think the "ease into it" applied to him (apparently). Really aggravated his feet and had to take a couple of weeks totally off from running to recover. SLOW is better - you want to think long term, the rest of your life, as opposed to how soon you can get there now...

I run in mine on every surface but must confess that concrete is my least favorite. I end up going super slow to minimize the concussion. Trails are better but you've got to watch out for gravel - when they say minimal, they mean it - you can feel every rock.

Good luck!!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've been running in Vibram Five Fingers for about 3 years now, and it has made all the difference in keeping me injury free (along with a regular stretching routine). My issue was plantar fasciitis, and that is definitely not a problem any longer. I have heard similar tales from other runners in regards to long-standing and recurrent injuries, including shin splints. The difference that barefoot (or lightly-shoed) running makes is that your gait and stride are naturally different. You can't help but land on front- or mid- foot, and with heavy-shoed running its always heel-strike, heel-strike, heel-strike. Our feet are not intended to manage consistent impact at the heel, and running mechanics tend to be healthier with landing with front- and mid-foot. I agree with starting slow, and you might consider alternating shoes in the beginning for each run. The suggestion to work up 1/4 mile at a time seems a little overly cautious to me, but certainly can't hurt. Also, I run on trails and not so much pavement, which makes a big difference regarding injury-prevention. You might look online for trails in your area. Treadmills are also good, but super boring. Feel free to message me (or even add me!) if you have any questions. Good Luck!
  • Korrinn
    Korrinn Posts: 24
    Options
    Be careful if you have flat feet or no arches. I have extremely flat feet (to the point where my ankles kinda turn in) and it would be a really bad idea for me to wear them, because there is NO support.

Edit: Also I've heard that shin splints can come from running on hard surfaces like concrete. Have you tried running on a high school all weather track? They're kinda squishy, so you don't have that super high impact.