Input please

Options
Hello all, I'm pretty new to this fitnesspal thing and so far am really liking it. I've been trying to monitor my food intake and exercise output so that I can have a better idea of my bodies needs and how I can transform my physical appearance. Here is the dilemma, so the scale says I haven't lost any weight, which I don't feel that I've lost any. However, I know for a fact that I am not looking as flabby as I was 4 weeks ago. I am ok with not being the best looking girl on the block, I am healthy and I am gaining muscle mass, strength and endurance. I would like to have less excess weight, on the other hand I know my muscles have gotten bigger and stronger. Anyone have any suggestions on how to lower fat to muscle ratio?

I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate an outside look on possibilities :)
Thanks for your thoughts!

Janna

Replies

• pickered
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so you are most likely experiencing what we all probably do, and that is a re-apportenment of your body weight as you add a steady exercise plan to your routine. It is certainly nothing to get stressed about just use the dietary tools and stick with you fitness plan and the goal will take care of itsefl! Good Luck!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    yep...I've seen some people on here only lose a few lbs of "scale weight" but have lost a LOT of inches.

try measurements with a tape.

and also how your clothes fit.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely take measurements! When I started lifting weights I only lost 2 pounds but it translated to 3 inches off my waist.
  • binah55
    Options
    Hey I'm new here too....but have been exercising my whole life. I go through a lot of ups and downs...the downs always go like that:

I lose about an inch, and GAIN weight the first few weeks...and then as I continue to lose inches the weight starts to come down....I always base it on the inches. If you are looking to loose more weight and not gain as much muscle, do more cardio workouts than strength (but you really should try to balance them, because when you do strength and build muscle, your body continues to burn calories with heavier muscle mass)
  • kartel99
    kartel99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. You should not only rely on a scale to gauge your progress; take measurements too! I went through both plans, cardio only and weight training only. I noticed a lot of weight loss in the cardio-only method and the scale was moving consistantly week to week. When I put that plan on hold and went the weight training route, I actually gained weight for the first couple weeks, but felt better than I have in a long time.

I am now moving on to a balanced plan of both weight training and cardio and hope that the outcome is the best of both worlds.
  • dawngrasso
    dawngrasso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    don't go by the scale - measure yourself - the scale gets very frustrating. i also go by how my clothes fit -
  • jannau
    jannau Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'll start going more by how clothes fit and what the tape measure says. Also varying my workout routine. Thanks again :)
  • mrskaya
    mrskaya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing... judging by the way my clothes fit! The scale hasnt changed much alllll month either..
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too and in the same boat. The scale has not budged but a feel stronger. I agree, muscle weighs more than fat - using body measurements and how your clothes fit is the best test. In most cases large weight loss and the start of a crash diet is due to water and muscle tissue loss. To lose weight and keep your muscle be sure to get adequate protein. Also for me, my belly fat is the last to go, if you are consistent you will see results long term!