C25K (couch to 5K) and bonus calories thru exercise?

Options
Hey all.

This is my FIRST day here and I have a quick question:

I am doing the C25K program and I can't believe that I am actually ENJOYING running! I am only on week 2 but hey...I am at least off the couch! It is an AWESOME program for baby steps teaching you to run. So far, so good!

My question

Since I am both walking and running..how do I calculate calorie expenditure? I see so many people using this app along with the MFP, I was wondering how I can incorporate this into my program.

AND!!!

If I run, do I have to eat those calories that I run? Can I save them for later in the week? Do I have to eat them that day? Should I eat them?

Thanks!!

Mike

Replies

• galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Are you using the iphone app? It should give you an estimated calorie burn
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike!
    The best way to know exactly how many calories you burn is by using a heart rate monitor (HRM) that uses a chest strap.

Otherwise you could use the exercises in the database (if there' a cardio interval or circuit training), I would decrease the number they give by 10-20% because it does over estimate.

Finally, yes to eating the calories back throughout the day (it doesn't need to be all at once).
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    it's best to get a Heart Rate Monitor (with a chest strap) that can give you a total cal burn.

you can eat your cals, but lots of people say they're not "roll over" calories. i'm on the fence. it's not like your body knows it's a new day, imo. i think if you're in a *weekly* count pattern of cals in/cals out - it doesn't matter much.
  • Mikeinstlouis
    Mikeinstlouis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am using the android app for both the C25K and the MFP. Which gives the estimated cal burn?
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories! Also, when I was doing C25K, I calculated time spent running and time spent walking, then entered both in the exercise database. Also, if you use the Nike+ GPS app, it will estimate calories burned. However, a heart rate monitor is the best.

Seriously, eat your exercise calories!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I entered week 2 like this:
    5 min. walking (warm-up) at 2.0
    9 min. running at 5.2 mph
    12 min. walking at 3.5
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I entered week 2 like this:
    5 min. walking (warm-up) at 2.0
    9 min. running at 5.2 mph
    12 min. walking at 3.5

I did this too. It comes out to be pretty close to what the C25K iphone app estimates the calorie burn to be,