Does Weight Loss Make You a Happier Person?

Options
I know it makes me one. :) I didnt have much to lose to begin with but when all my friends notice the way my clothes look on me it makes me really happy and want to dress up and try out more styles. Call me superficial but it does change one's attitude. :)

Replies

• Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It definitely can! I think there are a lot of mental blocks and emotional issues that go with. I personally feel great when I lose a few, and my self confidence is higher, so I like to dress up more and try new things! :)
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say so it has me I feel healthier and more confident in myself therefore happier :happy:
  • Lachsis
    Lachsis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think I'm happier now, feeling sexier, liking to dress up much more, shopping for clothes. The attitude is different. And therefore the way other people look at me is different.
    It's nice to get all the compliments, that come along with the weight loss. But what matters even more is how I feel in my own body.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! There are times when it's hard for me to see how far I've come on my journey so far. I will look at old photos and I'll say to myself "no..that can't be me now". I walk with my head held high around other moms as well. This mama isn't so thick on the sidelines watching her son anymore :wink: I can also say that my clothes are basically falling off of me :happy:
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I swear it makes me taller, too!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Happier? eh... I dont know about happier (telling yourself you shouldnt eat something when you want to eat the whole bag can make one crabby!). More confident.. heck yes! I can talk to people that I would never ever have talked to before because I feel so much more confidence. I see myself diffrently now... I still see fat sometimes but other times I feel skinny. Its hit and miss sometimes! Weightloss doesnt really make one happier, just able to view things diffrently.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! There are times when it's hard for me to see how far I've come on my journey so far. I will look at old photos and I'll say to myself "no..that can't be me now". I walk with my head held high around other moms as well. This mama isn't so thick on the sidelines watching her son anymore :wink: I can also say that my clothes are basically falling off of me :happy:

I hear you.
    Sometimes when I feel stalled and frustrated and so wanting to give in, I think of all those nice things people say about me now. This keeps me going.
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    It helps for me, I have more confidence and feel healthier. I don't think it's superficial, I think we're just also reaping the benefits (physical and mental) that go along with a healthier more active lifestyle. :D
  • albayin
    Options
    Happier? eh... I dont know about happier (telling yourself you shouldnt eat something when you want to eat the whole bag can make one crabby!). More confident.. heck yes! I can talk to people that I would never ever have talked to before because I feel so much more confidence. I see myself diffrently now... I still see fat sometimes but other times I feel skinny. Its hit and miss sometimes! Weightloss doesnt really make one happier, just able to view things diffrently.
    Interesting point! I never thought that way. :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think what has made me happier is that I have gotten to know myself better in this journey. I've overcome issues that kept me fat and gained confidence in the process.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Knowing that I can accomplish a task that many people tend to find the easy way out on makes me happy! :happy:

Plus I feel my self-confidence rising with every pound loss!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Well I definitely think the lifestyle changes do... literally. The endorphins after exercise, the mood changes from a more controlled and stable blood sugar level from a healthier diet... and then the smile when you see the number on the scales has gone down! and the buzz from the compliments!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Weight loss gave me more confidence, because it made me realize that I am capable of setting goals and reaching them in a healthy and positive way.

I have since changed a lot of other things in my life because of my newfound confidence, and all of those new changes have made me happy.

So, indirectly, YES.

Could I have gotten to this point of happiness without losing the weight? Probably, but I'll never know.
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe initially. Perhaps because it's a great sense of accomplishment. But if your weight was not the real and only source of your unhappiness, then I highly doubt it. Once the "newness" of your weight loss wore off you'd just go back to being unhappy.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    it makes me really happy and want to dress up and try out more styles.
    Definitely! It's helped me finally figure out what my 'style' is. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    Maybe initially. Perhaps because it's a great sense of accomplishment. But if your weight was not the real and only source of your unhappiness, then I highly doubt it. Once the "newness" of your weight loss wore off you'd just go back to being unhappy.
    This definitely is deeper than I have thought. :) Good to hear!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yes
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTLY!!!
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm so much more confident & am in the process of changing my life in other ways now too.

Within 2 weeks of being on here & losing weight I broke up with my boyfriend. I hadn't been happy for a long time, I was just too scared to let go but I did it & I wish I'd done it earlier.

For the last 5 years I've had dreams of becoming a professional proof reader/copy editor. It's always been just that, a dream. In the last week I've got in touch with a course provider & am now saving up to do it.

Now I've got the confidence I needed to live the life I've dreamt about & I'm on my way!!

I'm definitely a happier person in so many ways now, I'm 36 years old & I finally know what I want in life & I'm going to get it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Subjective. More confident, maybe. But some people struggle with weight loss and it turns them into to mean nasty people.