How to count weight training calories/ new to weights

I did a different work out today i did about 25 min on the treadmill with about 275 calories burned and then went over and did some weights..

leg press 125 lbs
10 reps x3

did that twice

Ab curls
8 reps x 3

some more leg work outs and some biceps as well, for about 25 minutes just dont remember the name of what its called... doing weights is very intimidating... considering i work out at a air force gym and there are tons of people who are just shredded...

so i guess any tips to a newbie to the weights?? and how should i log those calories burned ?

any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks :)

Replies

• sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Resistance is log into Cardio here...the best way to gage your true caloric burn is by wearing your own HRM with a strap. HRM are programed with your stats, they do not use general stats as in MFP or the machines at the gym.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I agree..an HRM is the best way to get an accurate count of what you are burning. For me..I am 5'5' and weight 143..I do weights for about an hour and burn anywhere between 425-530...depending on how hard I push myself..
  • Statsol
    Statsol Posts: 28 Member
    Weights are difficult because there are some issues beyond the workload actually performed. Depending on your workout, the body must also consume calories rebuilding and sometimes growing the muscle tissue. There are many debates about how many calories are needed for the repair/growth metabolic activities.

Also, just having more muscle increases your daily caloric needs and makes measuring your progress tricky because it weighs more than fat.

Now, back to your question based on your workout: 86 calories plus 38 repair calories = 124 net caloires (take it with a grain of salt - my best estimate)