Increasing body fat

Options
I am within 5 lbs. of my UGW and lately I have noticed that my body fat percentage is creeping up. It was under 29% and now it is up around 31% I have been hovering between 143-145 for awhile. I would like to lose another 5 lbs, but I am frankly more interested in lowering my body fat. Does anyone have any suggestions in terms or diet or exercise for how to accomplish that? I am presently doing a HIITP 3 xs/week which burns about 400 calories/session. On my off day, I usually work or do an outdoor activity. My calorie goal is set to 1330/day, with a .5 lb weight loss a week. I am 57, have had a hip replacement, and doing 60 minutes of exercise each day is too much for me. I have a desk job. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am not expert and don't know how that type of scale works (for accuracy). But it sounds like you were losing muscle and left space for fat to sneak in? How is your protein daily intake? I have read that in order to build significant amount of muscle, beside weight training, you'd have to take in 1 gram protein per pound (your weight.

Don't slam me if I am wrong, please. :flowerforyou:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weightlifting at all?

If not, I would highly recommend this to help you with your issue.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I have also read that BF readings can vary and can be inaccurate. How are your clothes fitting? What does the measuring tape tell you? How are you feeling? The scale and those BF measurements both need to taken with some margin of error!

You are doing so great! i wouldn't get too caught up in it! Keep doing the right things and take note of the positives!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. To answer your questions, my clothes are getting baggy, even the size 10. I am really a size 8 at this point and my stomach is definitely shrinking, which is satisfying. And I am still losing inches, albeit slowly. The body fat is a puzzle though. I assume I am losing muscle. I will try to do some weightlifting and increasing my protein. I have been cheating on dessert lately, but I find it hard to believe that would make such a difference. I am also going to try to add some strength training on my "off" day.