Anyone Do This???

Options
I was wondering if anyone saves most of their calories to eat in the evening and do you still lose weight? I want to make sure I don't cheat or go over my calories so that's why I do this.. I have a hard time at night when I am watching TV. I don't go over but I do eat later in the evening and then go to bed. I always hear, "never eat before you go to bed or you won't lose weight". Is this true?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've lost an average of 2.4 pounds a week, and I often eat 600-800 calorie dinners.
  • slimmerme2012
    Options
    Try it out and see....it may work for you!
  • Crooks0204
    Options
    "saving" calories will eventually make you feel like you are cheating yourself!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I always try to save about 200 calories for an evening snack. So far it's working out for me and I'm losing consistently.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time! I think the key to weight loss and keeping the weight off is finding what works for you. I have a real hard time at night so I make sure I eat really well throughout the day and then eat the remainder of my cals when I get home (which is a lot. Lol).
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Complete myth! You can eat whatever time you want. No magic fat fairy comes by at 6/7/8 oclock and turns your food into fat :]
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    "saving" calories will eventually make you feel like you are cheating yourself!

By eating when you want?
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    yes i'm a big night eater! and i don't really care to eat to much durring the day so i usually save up 600 calories for the night. I have lost 34 pounds so far. It works. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Avoiding eating past a certain time is a total myth... As long as it's in your calorie budget for the day, eating later shouldn't hinder your weight loss at all. I also save most of my calories for dinner - makes life easier and hasn't hindered my weight loss so far.

However, I will say, if TV is an eating trigger and you find it becomes a problem with your weight loss attempts, how about shutting it off and doing something else? Read, go for a walk, play a game, call a friend...whatever does the trick
  • Vahana
    Vahana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do this....lost nearly 20 pounds....but I'm guessing everyone is different?
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I do this, not on purpose, but it happens. I usually eat little or nothing for breakfast and a light lunch and then eat more for dinner and a night snack. Those are just the times that I feel hungry. I think the most important thing is to stay within your calorie range, I don't really pay attention to what time it is.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I dont "save: my calories for night time, I just eat oatmeal or egg whites with veggies for breakfast ( very low cal), and have salads , or wraps for lunch and some fruit or fiber one bars as snacks so I end up having about 1000 calories to eat still come 5 pm. And my calorie goal is actually pretty low since Im breastfeeding a 1 month old full time ( as in constantly lol) .
    So I eat very calorie laden dinners and have still lost.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal is at night. I usually get home after 7pm and eat anywhere from 7:30p-to-10:00p. Eating late has not been a problem.

Supposedly, "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper" is "old school."

There's now a scientific theory that eating your biggest meal at night is best.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If I've got calories left over I have dessert & I'm losing consistently. Some nights (not often) I still have calories left so I have a snack. It doesn't seem to do any harm although I don't eat after 8pm as I find that if I go to bed with a full tummy I have trouble going to sleep.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,421 Member
    Options
    I often eat most of my calories at night. I eat dinner with my family and eat "normal" foods. Since my oldest son doesn't get home from practice until 7:30, we don't eat until around 7:45 and I will have dessert after dinner. It's worked for me.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have always had my biggest meal at dinner, then usually a snack later on. It never stopped me from losing weight. Having said that, I was having trouble losing at one point (plateau) so I mixed things up and ate bigger in the morning and lighter as the day went on. It helped me start losing again. Now I am back to my biggest meal at night and a snack before bedtime and I am still losing my goal loss for the week.

I say, whatever you feel most comfortable with, but change it up when it stops working.
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think it still can work. I actually get hungry right within an hour or 2 from bedtime, even though dinner is always my heaviest meal. I try to make my nighttime snacks light, 100 calorie popcorn and fruit.
    I'm a night owl, and one thing I read once, does help me now and then. I read that late at night, when tired, one might mistake the need to sleep with the need to eat. So once in a while, I do notice that I actually should just get to bed instead of scrounging around for another snack.