WATER...The Wild Card to Weight Loss!

Options
Water is a Secret Ingredient:drinker:
Water: The Wild Card of Weight Loss
-- By Zach Van Hart, Staff Writer

Is water important? Well let’s see, other than making up 50%-60% of our bodies, regulating body temperature, helping our breathing, transporting nutrients, carrying away waste and helping our muscles function, water is pretty much useless. Oh, and you need water or, after three days without it, you’ll die.

So in other words, water is pretty darn essential. It can even be an extremely important (and often unappreciated) weight loss factor.

Somehow, though, water is one of the most neglected parts of our diet. Some of us possibly go an entire day at times without one glass! Every part of your body is dependent on and comprised of water, and the most important parts need even more. Your brain is made up of 75% water, your blood 82% and your lungs nearly 90%.

Besides being a vital component of your body, water also helps to reduce weight. The more hydrated you are, the quicker your metabolism works. When you are dehydrated – even before you start becoming thirsty – your liver has to help the kidneys function and can’t metabolize fat as quickly. Your metabolism slows down, causing some unwanted fat to remain.

If your body is used to not getting water, it actually stores more in ankles, hips and thighs. In other words, it doesn’t trust you to keep bringing water, so it keeps what it can get, like a thirsty cactus. Once it realizes the water will keep coming, your body will get rid of the stores and you’ll lose weight!

Plus, if you’re suffering from cravings or having trouble controlling hunger, drinking water is a quick, healthy way to feel full. Drink a glass when you normally snack, and have one before your meal and right before going out.

Staying hydrated is not restricted to drinking water; milk, juice and other liquids – even some fruits and vegetables – are good sources of water. But avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, soda), as they actually cause you to lose fluids and become dehydrated.

The recommended daily amount of water is eight cups a day, but don’t feel bad if you have neglected your water intake. Even if you constantly drink coffee or soda, you can make some simple changes to increase the water in your diet. Here are just a few ways to get more water every day:

Find the water bottles with pop tops. They’re easier to carry around and use than twist off caps.
Keep a water bottle in the car.
Take a water break instead of a smoke break at work.
Set a rule with your water glass: once it’s empty, it gets filled back up right away.
Drink orange juice or eat fruit in the morning.
Get two water bottles, one for work and one for home. Fill up one every day when you leave to go home, and fill up the other before you go to bed each night.
Order water at restaurants instead of soda. Even if you have something else to drink, have water too.
Weekends are the toughest, so be aware of your water and fluid intake throughout Saturday and Sunday. Keep more than one water bottle in the fridge so you always have a cold one.
Follow the example of a SparkPeople member: this woman put a water glass on her windowsill with 8 pennies on one side. Each time she filled up her glass and drank it, she moved a penny to the other side, until all the pennies were moved. Great reminder system!

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Water is a Secret Ingredient:drinker:
    Water: The Wild Card of Weight Loss
    -- By Zach Van Hart, Staff Writer

Is water important? Well let’s see, other than making up 50%-60% of our bodies, regulating body temperature, helping our breathing, transporting nutrients, carrying away waste and helping our muscles function, water is pretty much useless. Oh, and you need water or, after three days without it, you’ll die.

So in other words, water is pretty darn essential. It can even be an extremely important (and often unappreciated) weight loss factor.

Somehow, though, water is one of the most neglected parts of our diet. Some of us possibly go an entire day at times without one glass! Every part of your body is dependent on and comprised of water, and the most important parts need even more. Your brain is made up of 75% water, your blood 82% and your lungs nearly 90%.

Besides being a vital component of your body, water also helps to reduce weight. The more hydrated you are, the quicker your metabolism works. When you are dehydrated – even before you start becoming thirsty – your liver has to help the kidneys function and can’t metabolize fat as quickly. Your metabolism slows down, causing some unwanted fat to remain.

If your body is used to not getting water, it actually stores more in ankles, hips and thighs. In other words, it doesn’t trust you to keep bringing water, so it keeps what it can get, like a thirsty cactus. Once it realizes the water will keep coming, your body will get rid of the stores and you’ll lose weight!

Plus, if you’re suffering from cravings or having trouble controlling hunger, drinking water is a quick, healthy way to feel full. Drink a glass when you normally snack, and have one before your meal and right before going out.

Staying hydrated is not restricted to drinking water; milk, juice and other liquids – even some fruits and vegetables – are good sources of water. But avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, soda), as they actually cause you to lose fluids and become dehydrated.

The recommended daily amount of water is eight cups a day, but don’t feel bad if you have neglected your water intake. Even if you constantly drink coffee or soda, you can make some simple changes to increase the water in your diet. Here are just a few ways to get more water every day:

Find the water bottles with pop tops. They’re easier to carry around and use than twist off caps.
    Keep a water bottle in the car.
    Take a water break instead of a smoke break at work.
    Set a rule with your water glass: once it’s empty, it gets filled back up right away.
    Drink orange juice or eat fruit in the morning.
    Get two water bottles, one for work and one for home. Fill up one every day when you leave to go home, and fill up the other before you go to bed each night.
    Order water at restaurants instead of soda. Even if you have something else to drink, have water too.
    Weekends are the toughest, so be aware of your water and fluid intake throughout Saturday and Sunday. Keep more than one water bottle in the fridge so you always have a cold one.
    Follow the example of a SparkPeople member: this woman put a water glass on her windowsill with 8 pennies on one side. Each time she filled up her glass and drank it, she moved a penny to the other side, until all the pennies were moved. Great reminder system!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Great article - thanks! :drinker:
  • Cole4248
    Cole4248 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This was a great article, very informative. I bought a Pur filter system to keep in my fridge. It has made such a difference in my h2o consumption!!! Thanks fitness_chick!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    This was a great article, very informative. I bought a Pur filter system to keep in my fridge. It has made such a difference in my h2o consumption!!! Thanks fitness_chick!!
    :drinker: :wink: Thanks Cole:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Great article - thanks! :drinker:
    So glad it was helpful Gang:flowerforyou: ...I saw it and thought..OMG this is a good one to share.:drinker: :bigsmile:

I personally think water is one of the most important things we can give ourselves each for our health. Without my water along my journey I truly think my weightloss would not be as easy a road as it has been. Water can give us sooooo soooooo many incredible benefits!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart::drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
    :wink: Rach, lovely new AV pic of you...you're so looking so healthy!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart::drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, this was a great article. I want to print it out and share it with my weight loss support group at church, is that okay with you? :smile:
  • weissjoel82
    weissjoel82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good water talk, but what is more astounding is that you've lost 209 lbs, wow! Post a before and after.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info :flowerforyou:
  • strawberryblonde1
    Options
    water!!! :drinker: (today is the first day, i think ever that i will actually exceed what i should drink... i usually am wayyyyy under...) BUT i got a cool water bottle this weekend and it has really motivated me to carry it around at all times!
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    I drink :drinker: about 6-10 glasses of water a day, but if I want to have a cooldrink/soda :tongue: I drink a glass of water for each cooldrink/soda that I have to help my body to flush itself :blushing:

Life may not be the party we hoped for :grumble :explode: but while we are here we might as well dance! :drinker: :blushing:"
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I drink :drinker: about 6-10 glasses of water a day, but if I want to have a cooldrink/soda :tongue: I drink a glass of water for each cooldrink/soda that I have to help my body to flush itself :blushing:

Life may not be the party we hoped for :grumble :explode: but while we are here we might as well dance! :drinker: :blushing:"
    Very cool way to do it Liz:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    water!!! :drinker: (today is the first day, i think ever that i will actually exceed what i should drink... i usually am wayyyyy under...) BUT i got a cool water bottle this weekend and it has really motivated me to carry it around at all times!
    :drinker: That is an awesome step strawberry:flowerforyou: Cheers to progress:drinker:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    thanks for the info :flowerforyou:
    :drinker: :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Good water talk, but what is more astounding is that you've lost 209 lbs, wow! Post a before and after.
    :flowerforyou: thanks! Water had much to do with it to be sure:drinker: :wink: :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thank you so much, this was a great article. I want to print it out and share it with my weight loss support group at church, is that okay with you? :smile:
    Oh heck, print away...love to find and share articles, what better way to teach/learn than to share with others... It IS a great article on water...I was quite impressed when I found it. I learned alot from it!:drinker: :wink:

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: Water :heart: :heart:

Thanks for the reminder FC. :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :heart: :heart: Water :heart: :heart:

Thanks for the reminder FC. :flowerforyou:
    your welcome! tee hee hee I giggle everytime you post cause I see your adorable lil aqua fingered bambino:laugh: :wink:

• lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Water! Water! It's our friend!
    How many glasses?
    Eight to TENNN!!!
    Yayyyyyyy Water!:bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Thanks for the great article Fitness Chick -