women only adding back 1/2 exercise cals

Options
A registered dietician suggested that I might want to only eat back half of the calories I burn each day to address my plateau because the machines do not account for the typical lower muscle mass in women and threrefore may over-estimate the actual calories I burn. I really don't want to spend any cash on a personal heart rate monitor right now. Has anyone actually done this and had success?

Replies

• Guerita83
    Options
    Good to know!!
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat half back because I just don't trust the cal count and burn count!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use to for 3 months and it worked, but lately I've had to eat back 95+% to lose. I also use a HRM so I know what I am burning.
    If you enter in your age, weight & any other info on the machine and keep you hands on the heart rate tracking pad the machine will be fairly accurate. If using a machine that requires your arms to move (like an elliptical) then keep them moving for the best burn.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise cals back...at not least all of them. Some days I come close others day not even. It helped me get off my plateau
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat half back because I just don't trust the cal count and burn count!

My thinking as well.....I eat back a portion and try to keep my net near 1200
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I generally find I am more inclined to loose if I only eat back half - I also have no HRM and don't fully trust the estimations on here, or the machines. If I did have an HRM I would definitely eat them back. But I'd rather be over cautious. If I feel extra hungry I will eat them all back without guilt, it will not make me gain weight, but will make the loss slower.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are using the calorie amounts that the workout machine is giving you, then yes, you are over-estimating your calorie burn. Machines normally estimate those calories based on what an average male would burn. Small to average size women will burn much less doing the same amount of work. For instance, before I bought an HRM, my elliptical was telling me that I burned about 375 calories in 30 minutes. However, in that time I actually burn about 300 calories.
  • michellemulligan
    Options
    I work for ww as well and when counting points and earning points through exercise, they recommend that you eat at least half of your points earned through exercise. Just remember to make good food choices to refuel your body. (eg. protein)