Ok....Not Stewed Tomatoes...NEED MORE HELP!!

Options
ok..earlier I posted a request for some ideas with stewed tomatoes..Turns out I have only ONE can of stewed tomatoes (that I am using for dinner tonight)..but I have THREE CANS OF PEELED WHOLE TOMATOES and TWO CANS OF DICED TOMATOES..

Does anyone have any ideas?? I am drawing blanks here..

Thanks bunches :):heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can help you use most of that haha.

-shrimp
    -fresh or dry dill
    -feta cheese
    -tomatoes chopped up
    -onions (optional)
    -garlic salt
    -a little honey
    -rice or couscous (these are optional but if you want to pour your shrimp and stewed tomatoes over something this works great

Throw it all in a pot (minus rice and feta) and cook until shrimp is done, then if you want ladle over rice or couscous, then sprinkle feta on top.
    The amounts can vary just do it to your taste, it's very healthy and super easy, minus the sodium from the canned tomatoes.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you could use the whole tomatoes for persian chicken. i dont have the recipe on this computer, but its basically chicken, onion and a tomato-y soup. seasoned with turmeric, cinnamon and lemon juice. if youd like i can post the whole recipe in a few minutes
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Chicken cacciatore?

Some sort of marinara sauce? (yesterday I posted a recipe for broccoli stem ribbons served with marinara sauce).
    Here is a basic tomato sauce. I like to make sauce and freeze it, then I can use it in several dishes. What doesn't go well with tomato sauce? : http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/basic_tomato_sauce/
  • Iris_Jay
    Options
    You can use this recipe for enchiladas and substitute healthy ingredients :)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
    1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
    12 small chile peppers, diced (optional)
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1/2 pint heavy cream
    6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
    3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

Directions

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch strips. Place in a medium bowl with desired marinade, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken and onions until chicken is evenly brown. Stir in diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, stewed tomatoes, chile peppers, soup and broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
    Remove chicken from skillet, and shred when cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, allow skillet mixture to simmer and reduce to about 2 1/4 cups. In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken and about 1/4 cup skillet mixture (just enough to make a paste like mixture). Mix together with half the chopped green onions. Pour remaining 2 cups of skillet mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    In a second skillet, heat cream over low heat, being careful not to boil. Dip tortillas in the warm cream to soften and coat. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Top chicken mixture with half the shredded cheese, and roll up tortillas. Place rolled tortillas in baking dish, seam side down, and drizzle with enchilada sauce. Cover with remaining shredded cheese, and sprinkle remaining chopped green onion over cheese. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    2 15 oz cans of tomatoes ( whole or diced)
    1 8oz can chopped green chiles
    1 fresh jalapeno, diced
    1/4 fresh vidalia onion, diced
    juice of 1/2 lime
    tsp to tbsp minced garlic
    dash to tsp salt
    1 tb cider vinegar
    10 sprigs cilantro chopped

combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until mostly smooth for approx 12 1/4C servings of delicious restaurant style salsa. Made it tonight, about 20 calories/serving.. awesome stuff...(made it tonight because of your earlier post about all the canned tomatoes you had. LOL!)
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    my suggestion holds. its the same thing to me. we add them to a stew or to macaroni and toms with toms sauce
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Persian Chicken

1 whole chicken, cut up (i usually just use boneless skinless chicken breasts)
    1 large can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
    1 tbl extra virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 tsp tumeric
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 tsp beef bouillon (most of the time i skip this)
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 dried limes (optional)

cook onion in oil until transparent and starting to brown. Add chicken and brown lightly.
    in large bowl dump in tomatoes and squish until desired size (i usually do this to get frustration out and so they get pretty smashed). add tomatoes and remaining ingredients to onions and chicken add water to cover whole chicken. (if using breasts i think i use about 28oz of water..) bring to boil then reduce to simmer 1 1/2 hours (if using whole chicken, less time if breasts).

i get about 8 servings out of this and serve it over persian rice (not very healthy) or plain rice if i dont have the time.