Protein before or after workout? Both?

Options
Hi! I just started working out 2 weeks ago, (6 x wk) and I have been drinking a no-carb protein drink before I go workout. I seem to have enough energy for my 60 mins. cardio and my strength training. I was just wondering, is a protein drink with some carbs in it better for me to workout with? And am I supposed to be eating or drinking more protein right after a workout or not? Or is is just personal preference. Just wondering.....thanks.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Mostly it comes down to preference. As long as your numbers are in the right ballpark at the end of the day you're good. You can space and time things out however you prefer. For me personally, I usually carb up a bit before working out. For example, a banana.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is best drank right after working out.. you have a 30 to 60 minute window to ingest some protein!! The best kind to get is Whey Protein because it is fast dissolving and it can go inside those broken down muscles and hurry up and go to work! If you wait until after the 60 min window you won't see as good of results.. also make sure it has some carbs in it.. Carbohydrates help deliver the protein to the muscle.. .Also during the workout you used carbs for energy, so you need to replace your glycogen stores (carbs) for the next day when you work out again! You can do some protein before, but is better after.....
    Hi! I just started working out 2 weeks ago, (6 x wk) and I have been drinking a no-carb protein drink before I go workout. I seem to have enough energy for my 60 mins. cardio and my strength training. I was just wondering, is a protein drink with some carbs in it better for me to workout with? And am I supposed to be eating or drinking more protein right after a workout or not? Or is is just personal preference. Just wondering.....thanks.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There's lots of perspectives on this. I make sure I have a decent amount of carbs (slower) and proteins before the workout. I also have a decent amount of carbs (faster) and protein directly after the workout.

It seems to work. I feel fine, and everything fits into my goals for the day.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I usually have a high protein supper before I go, but if it's a wicked lifting day, I'll have a shake after...if I don't eat before I go, I don't have the energy to lift properly.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You burn more calories when you're burning protein than carbs --- so I usually bring a protein shake to my workout and drink it before, during and after. I think its mostly personal perference.
  • Bourassa5372
    Options
    Soy protein or whey protein powder -- drink within 20 minutes after a very rigorous workout, knowing you may have worked them muscles will there be a benefit. Protein repairs the stretching and tearing you had done during your workout. I find I have no pain after a hard workout, including stretching too.

I am doing the eat for your blood type ( Type 0) and I am to avoid whey protein powder. It works against you. So I use soy protein and I feel fine. So protein after ;)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have simple carbs (like fruit or yogurt) 30-40 minutes before a work out and then a protein shake after weight lift class or a recovery drink with the 4:1 carb:protein ratio if it's just cardio class.
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do both. I usually have some yogurt, granola and fruit, usually a banana before runing/walking and strength. Then I follow up with some more protein afterwards. I love a good protein shake! Good luck to you!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It is best drank right after working out.. you have a 30 to 60 minute window to ingest some protein!! The best kind to get is Whey Protein because it is fast dissolving and it can go inside those broken down muscles and hurry up and go to work! If you wait until after the 60 min window you won't see as good of results.. also make sure it has some carbs in it.. Carbohydrates help deliver the protein to the muscle.. .Also during the workout you used carbs for energy, so you need to replace your glycogen stores (carbs) for the next day when you work out again! You can do some protein before, but is better after.....

Glen every time someone makes a thread like this, you post the same broscience and people still correct you on it. I know I have atleast 10 times.

Meal timing is IRRELEVANT. It does not matter when you get your macronutrients as long as you get them in the 24 hour anabolic window.

Do I really need to quote Alan Aragon himself regarding this? I know I've done it enough that people are tired of hearing it.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    The T-Nation article is the best in my opinion. There's a lot of myths out there that are based on studies conducted twenty to thirty years ago. It really boils down to your OVERALL nutrition. If you're hitting your daily numbers for protein based on your goals (in conjuction with a balanced diet) you'll see the results you want. With or without a shake.

Think about guys in jail or the army. Guy goes into jail or boot camp a litle overweight and comes out lean, muscular... maybe even bigger than before! Are they slamming down protein shakes after they workout?
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    Glen every time someone makes a thread like this, you post the same broscience and people still correct you on it. I know I have atleast 10 times.

Meal timing is IRRELEVANT. It does not matter when you get your macronutrients as long as you get them in the 24 hour anabolic window.

God bless you.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I think it depends on the nature of the source. If you want to spend nutrients you have to have stock first !

If the nutrients are for recovery process rather than the exercise, etc. itself, again, you have to have stock.

If it is replace / replenish, again you have to have the stock.

Having said that, feeling 'full' is not something you always want to do before a workout, but from a scientific perspective, you need the stock in there first - the stock (food, protein, carbs, fats, vitamins, fluids, etc.) can be consumed at a time earlier (say 3-24 hours before hand), depending on the digestive process.

Digestive process is not immediate.

I am not an expert on the body's system, but to have something 'after' is really a before the next workout or a recovery aid. Other than that it is in my *humble* opinion a 'warm and fuzzy'.

I prevented post-walk headaches by stocking up on water beforehand, and during the walk for a long one.

Gary
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You can have something right afterwards or 4-6 hours later. As long as you consume your daily calorie intake and get your minimum protein and fat macros (remember carbs are not a required macronutrient), then you are good to go.

Disclaimer: With these posts, my intent is not to hurt anyones feelings over the internet. It's only to educate the uneducated.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    *getting popcorn and a Margarita* ....carry on....
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Joe is right. I tend to drink a shake after a workout but that's just a habit from old broscience that had been going around when I started lifting.

WTF do people assume that you are doing all your muscle building within 60 minutes of lifting? The anabolism lasts several hours if not over the course of days.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Overall daily caloric intake is all that matters. Having some more carbs before your workouts should definitely give you an energy boost if you feel you can use one. Many people above me have stated it already but what it really comes down to is hitting your overall macronutrient/calorie goals. You can eat 5 small meals a day or 3 larger meals a day it makes no difference nor does the timing of said meals.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I actually like taking my shakes around my work outs for consistency's sake. I try to get a fair bit of protein daily; at least it feels like a lot to me. And my dinners are kind inconsistent in their macros. So if I can make sure I'm getting my protein by attaching it to points in my schedule, great. I've also found, when I tried doing it differently, I'd get ravenously hungry during my cardio workouts.

But all that is completely personal and/or behavioral.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    lol you are freaken hillarious... I have a degree, I am not just someone that makes up things like you... Master's degree in exercise SCIENCE>..... sorry that you just listen to hear say :)

Do I really need to quote Alan Aragon himself regarding this? I know I've done it enough that people are tired of hearing it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I prefer the slower digesting protein. I normally just make up a tuna shake. Milk/tuna/spices, all in blender. Delish.

Not serious. Agree with Joe & I just eat food that I like.