What is your workout schedule?

Options
Right now I'm doing cardio 6 days a week (that's the plan anyways). I need to get some weights in there, but should I take days off of cardio to do weights or throw it in there too? Also, without hand weights, just using my body what and how many reps should I do? Strength training has always been my downfall.

Replies

• ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Right now I'm doing cardio 6 days a week (that's the plan anyways). I need to get some weights in there, but should I take days off of cardio to do weights or throw it in there too? Also, without hand weights, just using my body what and how many reps should I do? Strength training has always been my downfall.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i do cardio once a day 6-7 days a week
    but on mon and fri i do it twice a day

i use wrist weights when i do
  • dantell13
    Options
    Cardio 3 times per week, brisk walking 4 times per week, weight lifting 6 days a week. Once a month I do nothing, sit on my butt all day and do nothing. I like those days. Walking is best for belly fat, allot of research from Harvard has backed that up. Cardo for the heart and extra body fat. When I get down another 5 or 10 pounds, I might start jogging. The lifting consists of two body parts per day, chest/shoulders, biceps/legs, triceps/back. I also switch every couple of weeks. It seems to be working.
  • jbcooley032
    Options
    I do cardio everyday and weight training 5 days a week. 35 minutes of cardio except on Saturday, Sunday, and wednesday I do 70. For weight training I do the following:
    Monday: Chest and Back (60 minutes)
    Tuesday: Triceps and Biceps (40 minutes)
    Wednesday: Shoulders (40 minutes)
    Thursday: Quads (40 minutes)
    Friday: Calves and Hams (40 minutes)
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do cardio just about everyday, and then I do like, target workouts every other day.
    Example:

Monday, - work on thighs, so lunges and squats.
    Wednesday - work on butt/upper arms.
    Friday - work on abs.

The other days are just regular cardio. Then you target something, and give your body time to rest, so you're not sore everyday, all over haha.
  • Macey
    Macey Posts: 2
    Options
    If you're not exactly sure what to do, you should definately go pick up Body For Life by Bill Phillips.. His book and workouts are amazing and they helped me out alot! Good Luck:smile:
  • lobita44
    lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do some sort of cardio 6x week...exercise bike, treadmill, elliptical trainer. I also started a kickboxing video...that covers both cardio and muscles! I also try to do strength training at least another day or two. I take one day off a week...but I have to make sure that day to stick to my calories! Hope this helps, and good luck!:smile:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, except I used to lift M-F on top of my cardio and loved it. Now that I work out at home or participate in group sports, I only do cardio and haven't lifted for almost a year. And...the cardio I do does not allow me to lift hand weights at the same time. But, the cardio has enough leg activity to equal 100+ lunges or squats, so does that count as lifting? :laugh: I know I know. I should make more time. I'm just lazy, cause I have hand weights at home and do watch enough TV where I should be able to lift arms while watching...but I don't. :grumble:
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    i try to incorporate both 5 days a week!! heres some examples of my workouts!! the second one i did yesterday...

start with 20 push ups
    20-60 crunches
    20-90 jumping jacks
    40 lunges
    ~~add 40 jumping jacks between each exercise~~
    run in place for 2 minutes
    30 reverse crunches
    one minute of wall sits while doing bicep curls
    30 jumping jacks with weights~~palms down
    run stairs for 2 minutes holding weights~~if no stairs do butt kickbacks
    20 more push ups
    20 bicycle crunches
    ~~don't forget your jumping jacks between each exercise

you could also add jumping squats (go down in a squat position and jump up then landing back in a squat postion)

3 minutes of running stairs with weights then
    40 pushups
    50 crunchs
    30 reverse crunches
    1 minute jumping jacks
    1 minute jump rope
    30 bend over rows with 5lb weights
    30 leg raises
    4 minutes running stairs with weights
    side leg raises (30 each side)
    50 crunches w/ twist
    1 min butt kicks
    1 minute squat while doing punches with weights
    30 tricep dips
    30 squats with lateral raise(5lb weights)
    4 min running stairs
    50 arm things (lay on floor, bring arms out to side then bring arms up over face using 5 lb weights)
    30 lunges while doing bicep curls w/5 lb weights
    4 min running stairs

hope this helps!! good luck!!:drinker:
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    Monday
    20-30 Min. AM Bike Ride

Tuesday
    20-30 Min AM Bike Ride
    60-90 Min Swim

Wednesday
    20-30 Min AM Bike Ride
    60-90 Min Swim
    30 Min Run

Thursday
    20-30 Min AM Bike Ride
    60-90 Min Swim

Friday
    20-30 Min AM Bike Ride
    60 Min Run

Saturday
    30-120 Min Bike Ride
    60 Min Swim

Sunday
    60 Min Choice (Rollerblading, hiking, walking, etc)
  • emgem
    emgem Posts: 1
    Options
    Right now I am on vacation from school so my schedule will probably change considerably once classes start back up. So far I've been on a 5 day workout plan where I devote at least an hour a day to cardio. I find that Mondays are the best day to go nuts with fitness because its early and the stress of the week hasn't truly begun and the guilt of the weekend's festivities is highly motivational. Monday nights for me are the craziest part of my workout schedule, I take 3 classes at the local YMCA:
    -1hr Mat Pilates -1hr Vinyasa Yoga - 1hr Step Aerobics

Every other day I divide my workouts into 30 or 15 minute incraments, either running, biking or using the elliptical. It varies on how long I do each workout, but I try to aim to make each day's cardio total up to 60 minutes (or more) before moving on to strength training which I do low weight high reps until I basically can't do anymore.

123492.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here....and it's amazing what all our bodies can do! I do cardio, walking DVD 5x wk. 3 of those days I also do a weighted ball workout for 20 minutes OR Biggest Loser Sculpt for 20 min. Most of the time I workout in early afternoon, and if I can't then it's between 4-6pm. Great job everyone, keep it up!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I walk every weekday as part of my job, between 2 and 4.4 miles, depending on the day/client. Sometimes I walk my own dogs on a 3.4 mile route, too.

On top of that, I do 3 days of strength training and 3 days of cardio. On strength training days, I alternate between upper body and lower body routines. On cardio days, I also work my abs, since I don't fit them into my strength days (time limitation) On my strength days, I always start and end with a little cardio (10-15 mins minimum pre and post) to get my blood flowing and help fight the soreness.

In a few weeks I will change things up a bit so my body doesn't get too used to my routine. Once I get a bit more endurance, I'm going to start trying to run (which I hate).

Sundays I rest completely.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Also, without hand weights, just using my body what and how many reps should I do?
    You do as many reps as you need to in order to fail...

The first time you'll be seeing what your base number should be... go to failure and write down how many reps you did.
    The next strength workout you do, try to match those numbers OR, even better, try to do one more rep in there.

I currently strength train 3 days and do cardio 2-3 days per week.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    WOW! I am just now checking this post. There are some great ideas. I'm going to set down and steal a few ideas from each of you! Thanks a lot for all of the comments. Ya'll ROCK!:flowerforyou:
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since I am in training for a half marathon and 4 MS bike Tours, this is my work out schedule. I will keep building the mileage and time up for both my biking and running.

Mon - Run 4 miles
    Tues - Power toning class - 50 minutes
    Bicycling - 1 hour (working up to 2 hours)
    Wed - Run 4 miles
    Thurs - Power toning class - 50 minutes
    Bicycling - 1 hour (also working up to 2 hours)
    Fri - Strength Training - 45 minutes
    Sat - Run 6 miles (Adding 1 mile every two weeks)
    Stretching
    Bicycling - 1 to 2 hours (depending how I am feeling)
    Sun - Rest day

As I build the mileage up this schedule will get revamped and I will drop one day of strength training. I will probably do my long rides on Sunday and have Monday be my day of rest.
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    I alternate between a Tamilee Webb tape...which I THINK is low-key cardio....and strength training every other day. I run in place every day. I don't feel intense burning, but I do feel a little bit. I certainly hope I get results!:laugh:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    check out this article.
    http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/liftweightloss

a friend of mine works out 6 days a week (cardio) and every day she works out on Cardio she picks a muscle group to "workout" and does weight lifting on that muscle group.

I would consult a trainer about proper weight lifting techniques before you just throw yourself into it.

I see too many people lifting heavy weights incorrectly. My philosophy is if you have to use your back and abbs to gain momentum for the weight only to be slung around then you are not targeting that muscle group, your reps should be slow and smooth with very little body movement to aid the lift.

good luck, I hope you enjoy lifting weights! its benifits last long after youre done working out unlike Cardio!
  • juxtapotato
    Options
    I have class everyday, so I condition myself to work out everyday as well. Not a heavy one though (in my standards, at least). I'm a sucker for cardio so it's 15 minutes of 8.0 on the treadmill and another 15 minutes of 4.5 to cool down. And 30 minutes on the elliptical machine (average 57-60 rpm).

Makes my day a Day :happy:
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    1.) Cardio at the gym Mon-Wed-Fri (treadmill, elliptical, recumbant bike, rowing machine, stairclimber)
    2.) Strength Training Tues-Thurs at home with gym system
    3.) Mon-Wed-Fri Yoga in evening at home
    4.) Tues-Thurs Biggest Loser Cardio Max at home

This is the plan so far, i'm working up to it :smile: