breakfast foods

Options
I bring my breakfast to work usually egg/swiss/ham sandwiches or burrittos that I make I need to come up with a bit more healthy foods to make, I don't want to eat premade bars every day or I will get sick of them.

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with breakfast myself. I have been drinking Shakeolgy with some whey and a Chobani yogurt for breakfast.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    spices (I use Cayenne pepper, chili powder, and paprika)
    Mission Blue corn and flax-seed tortilla
    1 wedge of laughing cow or weight watchers cheese of preferred favor
    top with Franks Red hot (or if on the go keep the red hot in a separate container)

Toast tortilla on both side (necessary)
    spread cheese
    add egg on top
    between 200-275 calories depending on how much egg whites)
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Not sure about healthy but I eat an eggo waffle with a bit of butter or cream cheese. I buy a different flavor each time so I don't get burnt out on one.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Hmmm, my breakfast usually consists of; Cheerios (dry), a banana and baked potato (plain) - later in the morning. I stagger these to reduce hunger. Along with 3 cups of coffee.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am in an oatmeal kick right now. The Kashi Heart to Heart Apple Cinnamon is amazing. For 160 calories, the flavor is amazing- no milk necessary! This morning I made my fiance a wrap with egg beaters, turkey bacon, a handful of jalapenos, and the 100 calorie whole wheat wrap from Tortilla Factory.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    Breakfast is my fruit time :love: I get tons of fruit each week and spread it out to have with a coffee every morning, it's my favorite part of the day! I'd definitely recommend buying bulk whatever fruits are on sale and working them in with your breakfasts. It's easy to eat tons of processed carbs in the morning, but I always feel better and more able to focus when I munch sliced kiwi, orange, mango and the like with a bit of chicken or turkey breakfast meat. Tons of fruits to choose from too so you can always switch it up for different flavors and textures.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt mixed with one scoop vanilla protein powder, with a half cup berries, and two tablespoonsful of granola. I also love smoothies that I make with 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup frozen berry fruit (Blueberries or Strawberries.) Blend and enjoy. Both are less than 300 calories. Also, look up the recipe for the pumpkin MIM. It's amazing!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You could make a protein smoothie and put it in a to-go iced coffee cup. Easy to make (takes about 4 minutes to throw it all in a blender and pulse for a few seconds). I drink one every day on my ride in to work, and it keeps me super full!
    I use:
    1 cup organic skim milk or 6oz Greek yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder (vanilla tastes lovely in the morning)
    1 cup frozen fruit- cherries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, pineapple, mango, peach, mixed berries...any combo!

If you like having eggs in the morning in the form of a sandwich, subsitute whole-grain bread with no HFCS in it (I like Ezekiel bread, only 80 cals per slice and so tasty), and make sure you're using low-sodium ham.
    You could really put any meat on a breakfast sandwich-- I made an egg sandwich a few weeks ago with 2 slices Ezekiel 4:9 bread + salmon burger + Laughing Cow cheese + fried egg + hot sauce. Packed with protein (about 30g), relatively low carbs, and super tasty!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast pretty much every day, because I just love it that much :)

If I know I'm doing an intense workout, then before I go to gym I have a slice of toast w/jam for a little carb boost. After workout, I have a mini bagel (120cal) with an egg white (16cal) and a slice of soy cheese (40cal). I also have a Fage Greek yogurt. Sometimes I slice up a banana in the yogurt. I find that it's a really good ratio of carb/fat/protein and it's delicious :)
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast! I eat the same thing for breakfast every day for one week and then switch my breakfast menu the next week. Last week, I had oatmeal every morning. This week, I am having an egg, toast, and fruit every morning.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs, with baby spinach, grape tomatoes, and taco meat (my own seasoning) in a joseph's pita.
  • maxlambert01
    maxlambert01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of variety in my breakfasts - i tend to stick with one of the following
    without fail - 1 mocha coffee (1T low fat, low sugar cocoa mix, 1T nonfat dry milk in 10oz black coffee)
    alternative 1 - (45% of the time) english muffin, 1/4C egg subst, 1oz 75% fat free cheddar, vegetarian sausage patty - all of which can be whipped up in about 2 min.
    alternative 2 - (45% of the time) spirutein chocolate shake made in a blender w/skim milk and two ice cubes
    alternative 3 - (9% of the time) nothing till i get to work, then a bad blueberry muffin and more coffee
    alternative 4 - (1% of the time) an enormous iced cinnamon roll from Idlewild Farms, picked up on the way to work

alternative 4 takes up about 3/4 of my daily calorie budget forcing an extended session on the elliptical - sigh...
  • calamitydown
    Options
    spiced oatmeal with either pumpkin or apple. not the absolute BEST on calories, but not bad. it includes oats, water and/or milk, maple syrup, brown sugar, apple or pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, clove, and cinnamon. tops out a bit below 300 and fills me up past lunch.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a few different things and mix it up according to what I feel like:
    spicy fruit muffin split with cream cheese and vegemite and a piece of fruit
    Uncle toby's oats with chopped up apple or grapes or banana or a mix of fruit (and a sprinkle of brown sugar)
    Poached whole egg on toast spread with cream cheese and sometimes vegemite
    Scrambled egg on toast spread with cream cheese
    Poached egg on toast spread with cream cheese and baked beans.

1-2 cups of tea :-)

I find I need some carbs in the morning or I wane!
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is a bagel thin with 2 slices of ready cooked bacon, 1/2 a slice of cheese and 1/4 cup scrambled egg substitute all made into a sandwich...delicious!
  • Jesamess
    Options
    adding lots of fruit I think will help make a difference! it does for me anyway :)

11706958.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is a bagel thin with 2 slices of ready cooked bacon, 1/2 a slice of cheese and 1/4 cup scrambled egg substitute all made into a sandwich...delicious!

Not sure what ready cooked bacon is (from New Zealand) but this sounds yummy!
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the meal I look forward to the most - I can just be so creative with it because I get all these sweet cravings.

But what I had today was by FAR my favourite, and I'll be having it tomorrow as well. I don't know if you can find a way to take this to work but you can give it a try (just eat it as soon as you get there/put it straight in the fridge I guess :happy: ).

It's simply one punnet of strawberries (around 45 calories worth) topped with 64g of low fat greek yogurt and one teaspoon of honey on top. There you only rack up 133 cal all together, so you can add another fruit if you have a higher calorie goal etc.

Absolutely delicious. It satisfied me and the sweetness was perfect! Honey's always a part of my breakfast. Sometimes for breaky I have it in fresh oatmeal with cinnamon or on toast with philadelphia cream cheese on one half and honey on the other.
  • island_sunbaby
    island_sunbaby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent some time putting together 5 "go to" breakfasts calories & points counted and I love them - it has saved me so much time and made breakfast my favorite meal of the day!

Yogurt Buffet (travels well)

1/4 c Cascadia Granola (it had the least calories), 2 tb chopped walnuts, 2 tb chopped dried berries, 1/2 sliced banana & 1/2 c ff plain greek yogurt = mix together and go! = 269 calories & 6 points

Cottage Cheese power plus (travels well)

1/2 c 2% cottage cheese, 2 tb walnuts & 1/2 banana (you could use a whole) = mix together and go! = 200 cal or 5 points

Oatmeal rise & shine (take the dry ingredients & boil water at work)

In a sm zip lock add 2 tb dried berries, 2 tb dried walnuts (chopped). pkt of your fav instant oatmeal & 1/2 banana = 254 cal or 7 points

Hope this adds a couple ideas to your database!
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie!! I've been using 1/2 a cup of juice (pick your favorite!), and 1 cup of assorted frozen fruit (this is in the freezer section of most grocery stores), and a banana. I also throw in a scoop of protien powder. Blend it up, and it makes about 3 glasses.