curbing appetite? I'm ALWAYS hungry

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
Help! I was doing pretty good, got down to about 142-143. Now I'm back up to 145 and I hate it. I know I've been slacking on the exercise and eating well and I'm going to do bettter....starting Saturday LOL. Tomorrow is my birthday, give me a break :)

What can I eat to help me feel full? I do oatmeal for breakfast but it doesnt keep me full at all. I'm just always hungry. I am still nursing my 8 month old so I know I do need to take in more calories but this is ridiculous.

Replies

• Booobarella
    Options
    Ooooooh I can totally relate to this!!

But I have been having a glass of water every time I get a craving or hungry, and it fills me up pretty good.
    By the end of the day, I have drunk like 5L of water. It's fantastic!!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are taking in an extra 500 calories a day if you are still nursing. Your body is working hard to produce milk, you need to supply it! If you look up breast-feeding in the database you can add it to your calories everyday.
  • filmfanatic29
    Options
    Are you looking for snacks or meals?

For snacks, honestly the classic baby carrots and fat free ranch is a good choice. You can eat a lot of carrots with 2 tbsp of dressing and feel pretty full without eating a large amount of calories.
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Water first! Chug it, then re-evaluate in 20 minutes if those hunger pains are true hunger pains!
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've heard protein will make you fuller, but I am not sure. I used to be always hungry, but I started to drink a glass of water to see if I was really hungry or just thirsty. It's working so far, but I am not nursing so I can't say try that. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not what makes you feel full -- protein is.

Try protein shakes, eggs, greek yogurt
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    eat an apple cut up in your oatmeal. that always helps me stay fuller longer. eat an egg for a mid morning snack. the protein will be good for nurseing and for keeping you full.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing too- so I understand the feeling of needing to eat!! (and I am eating tons- but not out of control like I was doing before MFP!) Make sure you add a couple hundred extra calories for nursing each day. I add 200-300 a day.

I tend to feel more satisfied and full if I eat a mixture of foods at a time rather than just 1 food. Like if I just ate a bowl of oatmeal I'd be thinking "ok, what else can I eat?!" So for breakfast I eat yogurt with Kashi Go Lean crunch in it and I also make myself a skim latte- the whole meal comes to 310 calories and it keeps me satisfied through my morning workout all the way until lunch time!

Here is a 200 calorie "snack mix" that I love: I cut up a honeycrisp apple into 4 big chunks and add a handful of baby carrots and about 15 raw almonds. I put it all in a little baggie and munch away. It takes me a while to eat it all and I feel pretty full afterwards! I love the sweet, crunchy and nutty mixture!

I made some brussels sprouts tonight- quartered them, tossed them in a tiny bit of olive oil, threw them on a pan with some salt and pepper, and then roasted them in the oven. I felt pretty full after eating them...in a good "I just ate a ton of veggies" way though :)

I drink lots of water- 8 to 12 glasses a day. That helps me feel full too.
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For the long haul: cut out all high fructose corn syrup. I learned a while ago that the process that creates high fructose corn syrup from natural sugar attacks the part of your brain that tells you when you're full. If you eat a bunch of it you won't know when to stop eating.(No wonder the food industry puts in it just about everything!) As best I can, I've cut it out of my diet (although I can't control restaurant ingredients) and have found the ability to know when I've had enough food. Give it a try - it might take a bit for your body to rid itself of it from your system but it would be worth it, don't you think?
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For the long haul: cut out all high fructose corn syrup. I learned a while ago that the process that creates high fructose corn syrup from natural sugar attacks the part of your brain that tells you when you're full. If you eat a bunch of it you won't know when to stop eating.(No wonder the food industry puts in it just about everything!) As best I can, I've cut it out of my diet (although I can't control restaurant ingredients) and have found the ability to know when I've had enough food. Give it a try - it might take a bit for your body to rid itself of it from your system but it would be worth it, don't you think?
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I do egg whites with lunch meat and salsa. 3 egg whites, 2 pieces of torn up lunch meat, and some salsa.

More protein like everyone else is saying - tuna wraps, lunch meat and cheese roll ups, greek yogurt.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    PROTIEN PROTIEN PROTIEN!!... hard boiled eggs are a great snack. protien shake, hamburger patty, etc. They are high in cholestrol, but recent studies show that women live longer, are healthier and can prevent ostioprosis and alztimers with higher cholestrol.
  • kiku76
    Options
    thanks everyone! I guess I have been eating more carbs and I've been baking more lately.
    Is brown rice and brown bread ok?

I would also love more protein snack ideas. meals aren't too hard, I just dont eat rice. it's snacks thats hard for me. PLus my son was sensative to soy and dairy. I'm slowly incorporating dairy back in but I can't eat too much of it. so no yogurt or protein shakes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou:
  • kiku76
    Options
    Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou:

• reeda87
    Options
    Have you considered using milk as your liquid in place of water. I add cinnamon,raisins, dried cranberries and some kind of chopped nut(about a 1/4 cup).Copped apple also is a satisfying tummy filler. Your doc would be proud that your getting nature food with your grains.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    or orville redenbacher's smart pop kettle korn? I eat an entire bag every so often because it is 94% fat free and 225 calories and then I feel so good and satisfied I am good until the next day.
  • kn0thomeyet
    kn0thomeyet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am also at around the same weight as you and it is a struggle to get under 140. I know much of my eating is purely an emotional thing especially at night when I finally get some time for ME. I usually blow my good diet at the end of almost every day! I will let you know if I find a secret but I will reluctantly admit that if I get in a mode of eating only healthy stuff, it diminishes my craving for junk food. Unfortunately I usually cannot sustain that, or haven't been able to yet!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I had the issue of hating to be on a diet. If I measure out food all day... I am still pretty hungry when its night time. I had read a few articles about people fasting during the day and eating only at night. I have been on it for 3 weeks now and have lost about 15 lbs so far. I was difficult at first as you are hungry around lunch, but drinking hot tea or hot liquid REALLY curbs the appetite. Also.. when I eat at night.. I usually have a big meal so I am not hungry when I go to bed. I always thought we should be eating a bunch of little meals all day instead of a couple of big meals, but I have found the opposite to work for me. 1 big meal at night and I can never go over my calorie intake for the day, and I feel more full, and its a whole lot easier to count calories at 1 time in the day where you are eating. The fasting has also led to more energy, better blood sugar levels. Remember to keep trying new things to find the system that works for you. Everybody is different and every BODY is different, the trick is to find out what works for you.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm also nursing my almost 11-month old & I think that protein is the key to staying fuller for longer. I only eat whole-grains b/c that keeps you full longer as well. As others have said- TONS of water! I would suggest greek yogurt, but you said your son had a dairy allergy. I also use tuna, eggs, Peanut butter to up my daily protein. I never go longer than 1.5-3 hours without a snack/meal either. I chew strong, minty gum if I feel hungry & I've just eaten. If, by the time the gum is stale, I still want to eat then I know I am truly hungry... Remember, that if your energy level is low AND you are feeling super hungry, it may be b/c you are not taking in enough extra calories to keep up with breastfeeding.. Good luck!