Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is egg drop soup healthy?

Is egg drop soup healthy? From what I've read, it is just eggs and broth.

Replies

• It should be alright if you can find one that is not loaded with preservatives and sodium. Try finding a recipe to make yourself.
  • Not sure but it sure as hell tastes delish!
  • jcn1109
    jcn1109 Posts: 49
    This link breaks down the calories/sodium/fat/etc in egg drop soup. I, personally, can't eat it because I can't have that much sodium, but otherwise it doesn't seem SO bad.

http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/egg-drop-soup
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I make it all the time with sodium free vegetable broth and just use egg whites and scallions. It's about 60 calories for a HUGE filling bowl.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Miso soup is better. Tofu and kelp in broth. It's like 80 to 90 cals per serving.
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks guys! Recipes?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    I only get it when I go to Chang's Mongolian Grill. I have stopped asking for it lately because I just don't know what they put in it. And I don't eat anything I can't pretty much completely quantify these days.
  • jcn1109
    jcn1109 Posts: 49
    I make it all the time with sodium free vegetable broth and just use egg whites and scallions. It's about 60 calories for a HUGE filling bowl.

Do you happen to have a recipe for that? I'm on a low sodium diet and I've been DYING for some egg drop soup.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    *Sits and waits for the recipe*
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    i want that recipe too! damn you pf chang for showing me what egg drop soup was in the first place!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Here's one I just found by searching allreceipes.com and it looks like it would be fine as long as you use a low-sodium broth!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/restaurant-style-egg-drop-soup/detail.aspx
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Here's one I just found by searching allreceipes.com and it looks like it would be fine as long as you use a low-sodium broth!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/restaurant-style-egg-drop-soup/detail.aspx

Don't forget using only egg whites to really knock the calorie count down too!
  • I'm never concerned about calories since I have a hard time staying above 1000 day to day (my diary won't help, I've been slacking on entering the last few days)...

I modified it by using 4 eggs whites (I had a bunch in the fridge I needed to use up), and replacing cornstarch for 5 grams of xanthan gum (I'm low carb, so I can't have cornstarch).

Edit: Someone posted the recipe above me. But I'll leave in the modifications I made to it, for the extra variety :D
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member

Do you happen to have a recipe for that? I'm on a low sodium diet and I've been DYING for some egg drop soup.

It's really not much of a recipe, but I use 2 cups of sodium free vegetable broth, and boil that with chives and some sriracha sauce. One boiling, I drop in the whites of two eggs. That's about it!
  • pokeelyy
    pokeelyy Posts: 34 Member
    Nah, there's not much to it if you get it from somwhere that isn't packing it with tons of preservatives. it's just loaded with sodium.