Birth Control Pills and Weight Gain?

Options
Of course this is for the ladies, I know many of us worry about weight gain when getting on/switching pills.
I just wanted to know your experience and I will tell you mine.

I found I gained weight quickly on a pill with a higher dose of estrogen .30mcg, it was lo oregtrel or something like that. It also made my blood pressure high and I could not lose weight or lower it no matter what I tried,

I switched back to my old brand which had a slightly lower amount of estrogen .25mcg and different kind of progestin and my weight dropped as long as I kept up with my diet and exercise and my blood pressure plummeted from 160/100 to 130/90 (still bad)

I just switched to loestrin 24 fe which has an even lower dose of estrogen at .20mcg. I just wanted something for a shortened period and less fluations of hormones as my previous brand the dose changed weekly and caused mood swings. the lo oregtrel was okay on moodswings since it was a constant dose except for the off week.

Before getting on any pills I was about 140lbs and gradually gained and lost and at my lowest got to 126 (which is my goal)

I was just wondering if any other ladies noticed fluctuations with their weight on pills with higher or lower doses of hormones? I know most people say bc pills make some women gain weight because it increases their appetite, but I'm not sure that's completely true because when trying to lose weight on one brand I had zero luck and then I ate even healthier than I do now.

Replies

• _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pharmacy Major here, not a lady, but I figure I can offer some inpt.

ANY fluctuation of hormones can affect your weight, whether gain or loss. A lot of times this affects water retention, but sometimes it acts on metabolism. You may experience some weight change after starting a new or elevated dosage prescription, but with consistant diet and exercise, you should be able to continue with your weight loss. Its person by person, but if you feel you are unable to lose weight with one medication, you may want to try switching to another
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My OBGYN refused to put me on Depo (the shot) because she said she'd had patients gain 30lbs because of it. I don't know that the pills I've been on have affected my weight much, I've been on birth control for 12 years because of PCOS, so my weight issues are related to insulin resistance as far as I can tell.

I will share though, that I tried out the Loestrin and didn't even make it through a week. I was blessed with fair and clear skin and for some reason the Loestrin gave me huge, painful, awful acne on my chin. I'm on Ocello now, and have no complaints what-so-ever, but I will also be asking my Gyno soon about my options for an IUD.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I take the mini pill, was always worried that I would put weight on, but my weight was totatlly stuck anyway. Oddly I lost ten pound very quickly, it seemed to kick start my weight loss. I am stuck again though ad don't really need to be taking the pill anymore, was wondering if stopping taking it would help?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My OBGYN refused to put me on Depo (the shot) because she said she'd had patients gain 30lbs because of it. I don't know that the pills I've been on have affected my weight much, I've been on birth control for 12 years because of PCOS, so my weight issues are related to insulin resistance as far as I can tell.

I will share though, that I tried out the Loestrin and didn't even make it through a week. I was blessed with fair and clear skin and for some reason the Loestrin gave me huge, painful, awful acne on my chin. I'm on Ocello now, and have no complaints what-so-ever, but I will also be asking my Gyno soon about my options for an IUD.

Depo shots pretty much GUARANTEE weight gain. They are also less effective (in most cases) than a daily birth control. Stick with the pill.
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I'm on Depo too because my hormones were so messed up that I was a crazy lady most of the month.

I started on depo the day I started trying to lose weight, I'm 24lbs lighter and very happy. It's changed my life!

I've never tried any of the pills etc so can't comment on them I'm afraid.
  • mariumosman
    Options
    Bump. I'd like to know too :)
  • lisakatelaunspach
    Options
    Iv been on depo for 8yrs now. In the beginning my weight stayed the same (50kgs/110lbs) then 1 day it was like my metabolism 'broke' and I very quicky gained 20kgs (over 40lbs) !!! Iv managed 2 lose a lot of that weight but I'm still a lot heavier than before depo :( I don't want 2 stop though because I don't trust the pill. Depo is safer. Tough situation for me. Iv been stuck at this weight for a year now even though I workout and am carefull with my eating
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yaz for 6 years. I gained about 10 lbs in the months after starting to take it and have never been able to lose those 10 lbs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I went on the depo and I gain alot of weight 60 lbs. I switch and no more weight gain. I am on the birth control that puts a rod in your arm and it lasts for 3 years. I love it because its 3 years and it didnt give me the nice weight gain side effects. I know with some people the depo does not affect them but with me it did. Like my doctor told me I may gain weight it can range from 10 lbs to 80. I am happy I suggested the rod.