Road Running or Treadmill?

I prefer road running myself. Is the treadmill better for you?

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    I'd say road running
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I don't think so, you get more of a workout outside.
  • I prefer road running, there isn't the temptation to hit that stop button then :)
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    road running is harder, and it's more interesting
    but tread mill is good for me because there is no pollen inside on the treadmill and I can breath ;)
  • Bellini500
    Bellini500 Posts: 60 Member
    I prefer running outside, but as yet too many people laugh and point. At least in the gym I can run without causing endless amusement for other people. As I beome less cumbersome and clumsy, perhaps running outside will become more of an option!
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Road running! For 2 reasons:

1) something to look at even if it is just traffic.. better than a wall or the back of the persons head in front of you!
    2) If you run a certain distance, you usually have to go back that same distance - even if you walk it its still good for you, and you can't just say "i've had enough, i'm stopping" because you'll be stranded :) so you are more likely to work harder without realising!
  • Like alot of people I started indoors (hiding!) on the treadmill but now I've moved outdoors it is so much better. Less boredom (always my issue on a treadmill), the time flies, fresh air & sunshine and a tougher workout - Prepare for this by using an incline on the treadmill if you run indoors.
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    I prefer road running, there isn't the temptation to hit that stop button then :)

This!

Once you run half way, you gotta run all the way
  • I can run bettet/further on the tredmill, it forces me to pace myself, whereas when im road running im useless lol i end up going way too fast as im conscious of people seeing me (and think im going slow - silly huh?) so i cant run nearly as far.
    Not that i cant actually run that far yet lol think my best yet on tredmill is 3 miles. And dont think ive managed that again lol.
    Cant wait to get back into running when im fit and well again. Would love to do a 5k (the big dream is the London marathon but theres no way in hell could do that for a long while lol.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Tough call for me, I like road running as it has more unpredictable surfaces than running on a treadmill, so it challenges your balance and coordination, I like the endless routes and change of scenery it offers and by the time I have got ready and got to the gym, I can be half way into a road run.

The advantages of treadmill running for me is there is less impact on the joints, you don't have the weather as an excuse not to go as it is a constant environment and I like the flexibility of choosing your gradient/incline to run on for an extra burn.

So, I tend to do a mix of both :smile:
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    I find road running far more enjoyable. I have a nice bush walk available to me within a few kilometres of my house so there is always something nice to see. Furthermore - as someone said above - you cannot push the stop button, you need to walk back! I therefore find it is easier to walk/run longer distances since it simply becomes necessary (assuming you walk/run far away in the first place). However the treadie is great on bad weather days, late evenings (when it is too dark outside) and on days where long runs are not an option (eg due to time restraints imposed by work/social commitments etc). I also found the treadmill great when I was still getting into the exercise thing and was still very unfit (watching TV while forcing myself to move!) I also find that I have also been able to benchmark my fitness with the treadmill. I definitely burn more calories now in half an hour than I did 3 or so months ago (almost 80% more in fact!)
  • Both,though road running is more fun.
    Treadmill for when the weather is bad or my knees feel sore.
    Running outside means you can select a race in the future, such as a 10k or 1/2 marathon and work towards a goal.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    I would love to be on the road, running away to glory but weather forces one to run on Teadmill. Road is enjoyable any day!!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Road running is really the only way for me. I love the early morning before the world has woken up. Plus I love running in most kinds of weather. I had a blast running in the rain. It really gave me such a great boost during my run. I get too bored on the treadmill. I feel like a hamster on a wheel.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I don't like running on treadmills at all. For whatever reason I run slower and seems like torture if I am on it. I run faster outside, keeps my mind busy and I enjoy the fresh air.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    The road over treadmill, and trails over roads.

Gimme a path in the woods, and I'm a happy, happy girl. :happy:
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Iv run very little on a treadmill, but from what i have read, they all have their pros and cons: for instance:

I run on the Pavement (or Sidewalk for you Americans :) ) which is a hard surface and can and does make it sore on your knees, i try to run on roads (tarmac) which is alot less of a stress on your knees and muscles as pavements. Running outside is definitely less of a bore than treadmills, and as someone said, if your halfway there, you got to come back and its quicker running it :)

Running on treadmills has very little impact on your knees (or alot less anyway) but you apparently loose muscles (or dont work them as hard) as you would running outside. and when it comes to running outside you can find it difficult to run; apparently a 2 or 3% incline can help compensate, but not cure it.

They say running on trails or dirt tracks grass, that sort of thing, is the best. you have the factor of your outside, and the lessened impact on your knees, because of the soft terrain. and as an added bonus you build additional muscles and balance because of the ground being very rarely flat.

Most of my information is from reading runnersworld.co.uk, thing on here, and a few books i have too, and also personal experience :) my medium is outside on road / pavement

Happy Running