workout rests nessessary?

oregonlady
oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
i work out most every day. :smile:
m-f i go to the gym for an hour or so. :smile:
on weekends, i enjoy jogging at my comfortable, slow pace (hubby walks beside me!) :laugh:

i dont feel i workout too hard on any given day.:indifferent:

do you think i my body needs rest days?:huh: how often??:huh:

thanx for sharing your opinion w/ me.

:heart:

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    i work out most every day. :smile:
    m-f i go to the gym for an hour or so. :smile:
    on weekends, i enjoy jogging at my comfortable, slow pace (hubby walks beside me!) :laugh:

i dont feel i workout too hard on any given day.:indifferent:

do you think i my body needs rest days?:huh: how often??:huh:

thanx for sharing your opinion w/ me.

:heart:
  • brocktaylor87
    brocktaylor87 Posts: 6 Member
    as long as you don't feel physically drained everyday, working out is a very good thing, and as long as you're not over-doing it, your body doesn't need rest from it, it will benefit from the excercise, and even release endorphins that will keep you feeling great!
  • I agree with the previous post. I take one day off a week. Sometimes its enough and sometimes its not enough. KWIM? :tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    You should take a day off once per week to allow the micro tears in your muscles to heal. You create micro tears in your muscles from exercise each time, whether you are sore or not. The micro tears can create soreness but not always.

These tears need to heal for two reason. One, rest allows the tears to heal and create a stronger muscle and two, not resting and allowing the micro tears to heal will lead to weakness and you are more prone to injury.

There are some loop holes to this, like if you are a runner you would want to avoid running or walking at least one day per week and choose a different activity like swimming, yoga or pilates so that you are not working the same muscles in the same way day after day.

Rest is actually good for your exercise program, as long as the rest does not become the majority of your activities :wink:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Rest is actually good for your exercise program, as long as the rest does not become the majority of your activities :wink:

LOL. I was about to say... that's how I ended up here in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.