Half Marathon - March - Silverstone

Options
Hey

I started the couch to 5k programme a few months ago and couldn’t even run for a 60 seconds without struggling! I have now completed my first 5 mile run (took an hour, I never thought I could run for an hour!!!), and it has really made a difference to my body and fitness.

So I have decided to run the half Marathon at Silverstone in March as a goal and to really achieve something like my running!

Just wondering to see if anyone else is currently training for a half marathon?  would be great to hear how others train for it.

Susannah

Replies

• CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm actually seriously considering running a half marathon in May. I just did my first 5K at the beginning of the month. I've always loved running just never trained for it. So I would like to see some training schedules too.

Good luck to you and maybe we could support each other. Friend if you want.

Carrie
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello! By the end of this month I will have completed 8 1/2 marathons. I use the marathonrookie.com or use Hal Higdon training program.

Most important tips I would say are

1) Fit tested for shoes
    2) Appropriate amounts of sleep
    3) STRETCH
    4) Healthy diet
    5) Train on the route
    6) Have fun

Happy Running!
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon on Sunday and YES I'm super excited!!! I used http://www.logyourrun.com/index.php?option=com_program&task=view&Itemid=65&graphics=&start_date=2011-10-14&type=&id=7337 for my training program. I really enjoyed this program. I have also used the Personal Running trainer.com program, too. That helped me a lot with speed and stamina, plus it uses minutes not miles. Good luck with your training!!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That is great progress. Congratulations and enjoy the journey.
    I have run 7 half marathons and will do my 8th Oct23rd. I would have no problems sharing my training program.
    Add me as a friend and we can discuss training.
    The keys to getting ready for a race as long as the Half will be to have every week

1 Long run
    1 Tempo run where you run close to Half marathon pace
    1 Fartlek run where you add some speed to a run

Talk to you soon
    Saka
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    That's great! I've run both half marathons and marathons. Hal Higdon has a good training program to follow. Get properly fitted for shoes and then follow the program. If you have to skip a run for some reason, do not skip a long one. It's important to get all the long runs in. And don't worry about your time for your first race. Just log the miles at the pace that is comfortable for you and run that pace for the half. Once you are experienced, you can start training for time. Good luck!
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hey

thanks for the replies, i will check out some of those websites. I'm currently able to run for an hour without too much issues, but i have a bad cough and cold at the moment so havent run for two weeks, typical that book a half marathon and then cant run :(

I have heard a lot of people mention getting some real running shoes, do they help that much? i just have some sport shop bought ones?