sadness, weight gain, and questions...

Options
So I'm back. I've been away from mfp for about 2 weeks. I found out my mom has stage 3 small cell cervical cancer. :cry: I know she is gonna be okay.

But spending so much time in the hospital made me eat like crazy:noway: . Comfort food especially.

I started back to school today and decided to get back on track.

I gained almost 6 pounds over the mere 2 weeks I was away so I KNOW I have to stay on track.

Me and my husband recently decided to start trying to get pregnant....I know this isn't a reason, but his mom also may have cancer and we thought life is too short to worry about being completely financially ready for kids. So were just gonna go for it.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips for me. I keep thinking that dieting now is useless since I'm hopefully going to be pregnant soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on staying healthy while pregnant so after the baby I can get back to reaching my goal.

Thanks!

Replies

• singcoz528
    Options
    So I'm back. I've been away from mfp for about 2 weeks. I found out my mom has stage 3 small cell cervical cancer. :cry: I know she is gonna be okay.

But spending so much time in the hospital made me eat like crazy:noway: . Comfort food especially.

I started back to school today and decided to get back on track.

I gained almost 6 pounds over the mere 2 weeks I was away so I KNOW I have to stay on track.

Me and my husband recently decided to start trying to get pregnant....I know this isn't a reason, but his mom also may have cancer and we thought life is too short to worry about being completely financially ready for kids. So were just gonna go for it.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips for me. I keep thinking that dieting now is useless since I'm hopefully going to be pregnant soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on staying healthy while pregnant so after the baby I can get back to reaching my goal.

Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with dieting now. You can start eating above maintenance when you actually get pregnant, which can take a little while sometimes. Getting back into the habit will help you maintain your calorie counting and healthy eating during pregnancy so you can be sure you're getting all the nutrients you need, no more and no less. :smile:
  • verifire
    Options
    i don't have kids, but one of my best friends has five! she's a terrific mom. one of her motivations for staying healthy during pregnancy is the baby. everything you put into your system, the baby gets too, so she is very careful to eat vitamin-rich foods, whole grains, and as few chemicals as possible. this means eating healthy foods which fill her up sooner and keep her full longer, so she doesn't eat as much as she otherwise would. furthermore, organic and fresh foods are EXPENSIVE, so budgeting for them means no money for snack foods and eating lots between meals.

if you do succeed in getting pregnant, your baby can be a great motivator - check out fit pregnancy magazine to get yourself in the spirit.

you need to keep up your health and spirits to be there for your mom, so make sure you save time and energy to keep yourself motivated and on track. the better the fuel you put into your body, the more energy you will have to face your struggles. best of luck!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'm really sorry to hear about your mom's cancer :flowerforyou:
  • im_rich_in_spirit
    Options
    I'm working on losing weight BEFORE I get pregnant again. I had three children in 5 years, and I always gain about 40 pounds. I don't want to be so big again. I never noticed the health problems I had when I was heavy until I started to lose weight. It's better to lose weight before you get pregnant, and then eat sensibly during that time.
    Don't worry about being financially stable before you have children. God never intended for children to be a burden, only a blessing. We have only one income and three small children and I have never been so happy in my life regardless of the hardships.
    I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm glad you have a good outlook on her situation though. That will help you both so much in the long run! Good luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • singcoz528
    Options
    thanks everyone. That's really sensible advice.

I didn't know there was a pregnancy fit magazine! Thanks.

And thanks for my mom. I have high hopes, the chemo+radiation is really wearing her down tho. I can't wait until radiation is over in 4 weeks. Then she will be feeling better. :brokenheart:

Thanks again!:smooched: I feel loved :happy:
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You should really watch what you eat while you're trying to get pregnant. You should start taking pre-natal vitamins RIGHT NOW. Most women are pregnant for a few weeks before they have any idea, and that's when your baby is most susceptible to anything you take in. Drink your OJ and take that folic acid (it's a major factor in your baby's neuro development). When you do get pregnant, you should increase your caloric intake by about 300 daily, but increase it with really wholesome foods like fruits, veggies, and complex carbs. If you eat well during your pregnancy, your body will rebound so much faster, and you're less likely to have problems with gestational diabetes (that's something NOBODY wants to deal with!).

Good luck getting pregnant, girl. SO EXCITING!!!
  • WShope
    WShope Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your Mom. i did the same thing you did over the holdiays. The weekend before Thanksgiving my step-dad was critically burned in an explosion at his job. It's hard and I totally understand. You just have to make yourself get back on track and tell yourself that everything's going to be okay. You and your family are in my prayers.
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    sorry about your mom.....have you seen that anti cancer diet? it is backed by studies that prove to help fight the cancer. maybe you can do some research for your mom.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get pregnant, you shouldn't diet but just eat healthy. When I was pregnant with both of my kids, my doctor told me to walk regularly. This firms up the muscles in your pelvic area and helps during the delivery. It worked for me plus I didn't gain a lot. Sorry about your mom, hopefully she will start feeling better soon and maybe you will get back on track. Stress is a huge factor in weight gain. Good luck!.