CALLING ON PERSONAL TRAINERS

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Ok, so I went to the gym yesterday and they did an assessment. He put me on a scale and this receipt prints out with my weight, body fat percentage, BMI, healthy ranges for these, etc.

My question is how accurate are these scales for body fat percentage? Or would it be best to go somewhere where they use the calipers?

Thank you in advance for the input.

Replies

• ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The scale versions are less accurate than the body calipers, but it will give you an estimation or relatively close measurement, but it is always better to go with calipers.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I don't trust the scales. And calipers depend on the trainer measuring. And all those measurements (weight, height, hips, waist, etc) that you plug into a calculator aren't great either. It's all an estimate. I'd say calipers are your best bet though.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too... my digital scale at home tells me the body fat percentage (it has these little "sensor" things on it... it's a more expensive one) and was wondering how accurate they are. I'll be watching this post...
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Not a trainer, but I think it depends on the scale. Mine at home measures bf and it tells me something differenct all the time. I see a nutritionist and she has a VERY expensive, fancy scale (which is why I see her, lol) I have compared the printout from hers with caliper measurements and it seems pretty consistently accurate. I guess it depends on how accurate a measurement you need. Calipers won't lie though :)
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    scales and calipers aren't very accurate.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the type of scale. My Dr. has one that is REALLY expensive and uses a current to accurately tell you everything. IF it's one of those, then yes trust it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump! Very good question Krys.