Any Graveyard Shifters Here?

Options
There are many things that contribute to my weight gain-pregnancy, quitting smoking, a real relationship, but I also think my 12 hour 7pm-7am shift I started taking on two years ago has helped. I eat during the day before I go to work, then go to work and eat all night. Especially because things are slow and I get bored. Do any of you struggle with this? I've been trying to kill time with books and such, but some cravings are hard to resist...especially because I work at a hospital with a cafeteria in it, it's really accessible. Any tips would be most appreciated. :[

Replies

• Dannypuck
    Dannypuck Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I work at a newspaper from 6 pm until 2 am so I know it's hard. I use my off days to try and work out and then work out when I can, It is a struggle, but you can do it.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I feel like I am more hungrier than when I'm up during the day. I try to eat dinner late like 9 or 930. My shift starts at 11. I notice I feel like I starve at 130 or 2 am then again by 5. I get home close to 8 am and really want to eat again even. I think its more out of tiredness than anything. I notice the fiber one bars I eat help somewhat keeping me a little fuller.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I work 10:30pm to 6:30am and I eat breakfast before work I wake up at 9pm and I have snack at 1am and lunch around 3am and snack around 7am then dinner around 11am I do it this way since my day begins at a diffrent time then most I also keep a huge water bottle around but my snacks keep me from getting hungry I also pack my lunch and i try not to bring money to work hope this helps
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a graveyard shifter but do suffer from insomnia so am always up. I hear what you're saying and I do think willpower and resistance is a main key. Try making you're own lunch, dinner and snacks, that way you know what's going in your body and that all the ingredients are fresh. Take loads of fruit and veggies and try nuts and pulses. I know that sounds boring but you know it's the best thing for your body. Add me if you want encouragement, or someone to lol to in the morning cause 9 out of 10 times I'll be up. Lol. Good luck and keep goin

Ooh, what about smoothies???
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks, DannyPuck, I need to up my workouts on my off days, I think. x.x
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    I'm the same way! I feel like I am more hungrier than when I'm up during the day. I try to eat dinner late like 9 or 930. My shift starts at 11. I notice I feel like I starve at 130 or 2 am then again by 5. I get home close to 8 am and really want to eat again even. I think its more out of tiredness than anything. I notice the fiber one bars I eat help somewhat keeping me a little fuller.

FiberOne! I love those...I used to eat those during class when I didn't give myself a lunch break (first semester at college...rookie mistake, I know. haha)
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    I work 10:30pm to 6:30am and I eat breakfast before work I wake up at 9pm and I have snack at 1am and lunch around 3am and snack around 7am then dinner around 11am I do it this way since my day begins at a diffrent time then most I also keep a huge water bottle around but my snacks keep me from getting hungry I also pack my lunch and i try not to bring money to work hope this helps

It does, thanks! I'm sending you a friend request, accept if you like-we have similar stats. :]
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a graveyard shifter but do suffer from insomnia so am always up. I hear what you're saying and I do think willpower and resistance is a main key. Try making you're own lunch, dinner and snacks, that way you know what's going in your body and that all the ingredients are fresh. Take loads of fruit and veggies and try nuts and pulses. I know that sounds boring but you know it's the best thing for your body. Add me if you want encouragement, or someone to lol to in the morning cause 9 out of 10 times I'll be up. Lol. Good luck and keep goin

Ooh, what about smoothies???

Thanks, I'm packing lots of veggie snackies for tonight. Smoothies are soooo yummy but I have no way of making them there or taking them with me. (we only have a mini-fridge in our break room). Thanks for the tips!
  • badelia18
    badelia18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with purplebabe2025...pack your own stuff...stay out of the cafeteria. What is your job at the hospital? Do you sit at the nurses station or walk rounds or both? walk around as much as you can and you can log that at exercise and if you do it quickly it burns more calories. I am up late most nites on here or FB so it's easy to snack. Drink your water and grab an apple or banana or some assorted nuts. Good proteins. You CAN do this...we are here to help and encourage too. Add me, if you want, and I we can encourage each other. :wink:
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi. 7P-7A here as well. I am going to also suggest what has already been said... Pre pack all your food. It makes a huge difference in being successful. Look for high protein foods to get you through. This also made a big difference for me in not feeling hungry. Greek yogurt, tuna, egg whites etc.
    Typical eating times for me go something like this: Breakfast at around 10 AM then sleep. "Lunch" around 5:30PM, small snack around 11 PM, "Dinner" around 1:30 AM, small snack around 5:30 AM. My diary is open so feel free to look.

I generally do my workouts between 7:30 AM -9:30 AM... whether I'm working that night or not.
    Hope this helps!