CHEAT DAYS!

Options
13»

Replies

• TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily call it cheat days but I do have them and I don't feel like they hinder me but actuallly help since I spend the week working hard and making up for it the following day. It helps me to be able to still eat the foods I love and not hate the process of dieting and weight loss
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that the more I'm eating healthy and working out, the less I crave crap.

I second that. I usually eat more calories and unhealthy things on days that my husband is off work. We tend to eat out more. I do well the other days. I have recently found that even on these days I'm not craving the unhealthy things like I used to. But if I do eat them, I don't stress. Just start a new day. I'm not going to get down on myself because I had a piece of birthday cake or whatever.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    A few weeks ago my weight actually began to rise, even though I'd been working out hard and staying rigidly within or below my daily calorie count. I was not happy about this. I talked to someone about this (a personal trainer), and he advised me to really exceed my calorie count that weekend. He said my body was becoming accustomed to the amount that I was feeding it and it was starting to hold on to the weight. Well, the next weekend I went out to dinner and had a big meal which I think was more than my daily calorie all by itself, and the next morning I even allowed myself a blueberry muffin with butter. I still continued to work out those days because cheating didn't mean I should be lazy. Anyway, it worked because within a few days I started to lose weight again.

So now I'm a believer in having a periodic cheat meal so my body doesn't become too accustomed. I just try and plan these days. Tomorrow will be a cheat meal because I'm meeting family for lunch and I'm thinking about a hamburger (first one in months.) Thanksgiving will be a cheat day, as will Christmas. I'm just trying to plan my eating in advance so that these days will fit in and help me towards my goal.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My husband & I are trying to create a long term healthy life style. Six days a week we eat small well balanced meals, with fresh fruit and vegetables, but we both love to eat really good food, you know, high calorie gourmet cuisine. So if we meet our goals during the week, we spend Saturday morning or afternoon indulging in one of those meals (calories equal to one days normal consumption). It gives us something to look forward to, it satisfies the desire for delicious food and we don't feel deprived. Ever since we started doing this I have not had a bad week. It is a cheat day in the sense that we are off our daily healthy food and small meals, but we usually make up the difference in calories by doing something Saturday afternoon. Doing something special, once a week, makes the whole thing sustainable and fun for us and since our goal is to create a life style that we can continue after the extra weight is off this works for us.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I don't have many cheat "days," but I do have a cheat "meal or dessert" every once in awhile. I'll have a cheat day if there is an event or something if the choices are all bad. I'll have a cheat meal, but if it's really bad I'll only eat half so it's not as bad.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I cheat whenever I damn well feel like it and make it up the next couple days. Some people refer to this as zig zag dietting. I refer to it as sometimes I want to get drunk and eat a big greasy burger.
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I dont have cheat days, but instead every sunday I allow myself a treat once it fits in with my daily calories! If I go over a little bit I dont sweat!! For instance this sunday Im planning on having a moro bar while watching the X Factor!! Once you dont go overboard then it shouldnt be a problem!!
  • sailed2japan
    sailed2japan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel alive again and don't even desire to go back to junk (non-food). I have not had carbonated soft drinks for six years!

Awesome!

I agree with having one day a week where you eat some things you wouldn't while on your meal plan. I feel it really helps mentally. the key is to not eat the junk stuuf, though. For instance: a 97/3 lean beef burger w/ swiss cheese and sauted mushrooms and onions on a whole wheat sandwich thin and baked sweet potatoe fries is way over my nomal meal calory count with a fruit smoothie to drink, but still heathier than a burger fries and a milk shake from (insert crappy fast food resteraunt here). That's my kind of treat/cheat/spike/bump/binge/whatever
  • sailed2japan
    sailed2japan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I feel Sunday is te best day to go off-plan. Then you jump back into the work week routine, back on the meal plan, back to the gym. I feel like the one away is like a little vacation. Also doing Saturday as a break then being at the house Sunday makes it easier to go off track in my mind. If you are at work you only have the food you brought.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, some days I HAVE to eat so much just to meet my calories that I feel like I'm cheating!!

On Wednesday nights we have takeaways but I stay within my calories. Thursday is my rest day & on Friday it's weigh in day & I've usually lost at least 1lb.

I'm so used to eating healthily now I don't think I could have cheat days if I tried.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" everyday! IMO, there's no reason to cut anything you like out of your diet as long as you stay within your calorie allowance.

^ And in addition to the lengthy reply I gave, I fully agree with this and apply this myself (IIFYM).

That being said, in the context of the OP's post I'm referring to a cheat day as one where you don't hit your macros.

I also assumed the OP meant cheating on your calorie intake (or macros) rather than on 'eating healthy' or whatnot.

And to answer - I have them but they aren't super regimented. And I don't think of them as 'cheat' days per se. I just have days where I think "Darnit I'm gonna eat this ________ and I don't care if its 200 calories over my daily maintenance goal"

Because I don't care.

I wouldn't sweat whatever you did honestly - if you are like most people you have tons of days every week where you don't eat all your recommended daily calories or you don't eat all your exercise calories or whatever.

I like to tell people this: MFP has me set to 1680 calories before working out. If I want to eat all my exercise calories, I do it. If I want to eat all my exercise calories AND dig into my deficit (I only have a 250 cal deficit now, but i used to have a 500 calorie one which is a lot) then I do it. If I want to go over my deficit by a little bit I do that too although I try not to go like 1000 over and I try not to do it multiple days in a row.

And if I want to eat 1500 calories some days, I do that too

In my opinion this is normal healthy weight maintenance -- not the deficit but the schedule where some days you eat a little bit less and some days you eat a little bit more. "Naturally" thin people (people who don't seem to have any trouble staying at a reasonably low weight - maybe they 'put on a few pounds' here or there but generally they are a healthy weight) don't really think about their daily calories. They think about things in terms of several days or a week - like my friend will kind of pig out on the weekends but then over the next week he'll say "oh I can't have that, I really pigged out this weekend" - so maybe he goes up 2 lbs over the weekend and then he drops those 2 lbs over the rest of the week. That's maintenance for him.

You can pretty much do the same thing for weight loss -- as long as you have a net deficit of Calories Burned > Calories Eaten over SEVERAL days or even several weeks, your weight will go down.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What my wife is saying is absolutely true. It's all about being reasonable and sensible in your portions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't really work because once people reach goal, they cheat more and guess what...........................the weight returns. And for people that eat that strict, I feel sorry that you can't enjoy life the way you really want to.
  • Breadoholic
    Breadoholic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" everyday! IMO, there's no reason to cut anything you like out of your diet as long as you stay within your calorie allowance.

^ And in addition to the lengthy reply I gave, I fully agree with this and apply this myself (IIFYM).

That being said, in the context of the OP's post I'm referring to a cheat day as one where you don't hit your macros.

I also assumed the OP meant cheating on your calorie intake (or macros) rather than on 'eating healthy' or whatnot.

And to answer - I have them but they aren't super regimented. And I don't think of them as 'cheat' days per se. I just have days where I think "Darnit I'm gonna eat this ________ and I don't care if its 200 calories over my daily maintenance goal"

Because I don't care.

I wouldn't sweat whatever you did honestly - if you are like most people you have tons of days every week where you don't eat all your recommended daily calories or you don't eat all your exercise calories or whatever.

I like to tell people this: MFP has me set to 1680 calories before working out. If I want to eat all my exercise calories, I do it. If I want to eat all my exercise calories AND dig into my deficit (I only have a 250 cal deficit now, but i used to have a 500 calorie one which is a lot) then I do it. If I want to go over my deficit by a little bit I do that too although I try not to go like 1000 over and I try not to do it multiple days in a row.

And if I want to eat 1500 calories some days, I do that too

In my opinion this is normal healthy weight maintenance -- not the deficit but the schedule where some days you eat a little bit less and some days you eat a little bit more. "Naturally" thin people (people who don't seem to have any trouble staying at a reasonably low weight - maybe they 'put on a few pounds' here or there but generally they are a healthy weight) don't really think about their daily calories. They think about things in terms of several days or a week - like my friend will kind of pig out on the weekends but then over the next week he'll say "oh I can't have that, I really pigged out this weekend" - so maybe he goes up 2 lbs over the weekend and then he drops those 2 lbs over the rest of the week. That's maintenance for him.

You can pretty much do the same thing for weight loss -- as long as you have a net deficit of Calories Burned > Calories Eaten over SEVERAL days or even several weeks, your weight will go down.

Thanks for the reply mate. Very logical.

Christina