Zero Calorie Vodka Hoax

Options
I'm almost positive that this is a mistake, and here's why:

1. Alcohol contains 7 cals per gram, NO EXCEPTIONS.
2. Do a Google search for zero-calorie vodka and only one source comes up. It's the one that the original poster (icandoit?) copy and pasted from, and it's an error. Here's the link: http://www.squidoo.com/SmirnoffZeroCalorieVodka
3. Smirnoff does have zero CARB vodka (which it advertises comes in all flavors.)
4. The Smirnoff website has nothing about zero calorie vodka anywhere on it.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Replies

• createsure
    Options

2. Do a Google search for zero-calorie vodka and only one source comes up. It's the one that the original poster (icandoit?) copy and pasted from, and it's an error. Here's the link: http://www.squidoo.com/SmirnoffZeroCalorieVodka
    3. Smirnoff does have zero CARB vodka (which it advertises comes in all flavors.)

• alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    :cry:
  • createsure
    Options
    By the way, vodka has about 65 calories per shot. So, if you're mixing it with zero calorie beverages, it's not that much anyway!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    New Zero Calorie Vodka
    Smirnoff's new zero calorie vodka is now available in a wide variety of flavors including watermelon, black cherry, lime, citrus, green apple, grape, rasberry, and the traditional original flavor. It can be purchased at any local grocery store, gas station or liquor store. The price is $19.99 for 750 ml or $29.99 for 1.75 L

Media Advisory
    October 22, 2007
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Michelle Lewis
    MLewis@smirnoff.com
    504-655-7577
    611 E Daniel St, Champaign, IL, 61820

The Smirnoff Corporation's CEO Nicholas Sorenson will be appearing live on CNBC tomorrow night, Monday November 9, 2007 at 8 a.m. in New York City.

CEO Nicholas Sorenson will be promoting Smirnoff's newest product, zero calorie Vodka. He'll be explaining all of the nutrition facts as well as the flavors it is available in. Also Sorenson will announce when and where the product is available and at what cost.

Nicholas Sorenson has been with Smirnoff for over 15 years now and is excited about this new break through product. He has been a crucial part of Smirnoff promotions throughout the years and continues to earn the respect and loyalty of customers across the world.

Again, he will be appearing on CNBC on November 9, 2007 at 8 a.m.

His appearance will take place outside of the CNBC studio near the Smirnoff promotional tents and busses on the corner of Washington Street and State Street.

Smirnoff has been supplying quality vodka to consumers for over 100 years.
    Or contact Linda Cox at
    LCox@smirnoff.com or (863-551-2947)

CNBC has it on there web.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I asked my bf about this because he's a biochemist, and he said that although alcohol has 7 calories, a calorie is a really general measurement. It's a measurement of heat, not a measure of nutrient value. One kilocalorie (the type we use to measure what's in food) is approximately the energy needed to raise one kg of water by one degree. That's all a calorie is...it's not really a measure of how much energy YOU will get from the food. Vodka can be calorie free if there are no additives, like beer has. Alcohol isn't actually a nutrient.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Time to start drinking again!!! :laugh:

Actually, one of the benefits of eating clean and exercising is that I don't feel like drinking often at all. My mind is so much clearer now; I find that if I go out and have few drinks, my mood and energy levels are much lower the next day.
  • createsure
    Options
    Icandoit:
    Where on CNBC do they have anything on it? I just went on CNBC.com and did a search for "Smirnoff", and the story did not come up (although a few other smirnoff related news articles did) I then did a search for "Nicholas Sorenson", the purported CEO of Smirnoff, the one who supposedly appeared live on CNBC, and there was not a single search result (on CNBC mind you) for his name. At all. So... where did you see it on their website?

Songbyrdsweet:
    I am also a biochemist (although still in training). I am well aware of what a calorie is, and that it is a measurement of energy. Ask your bf about it again, because if you are putting the energy in your body, your body is using it. If that isn't the case, why are we all counting our calories on here?

I'm still not 100% sure that this zero-calorie vodka doesn't exist, but I'm 99% at least. Until I find some sort of information on it OTHER than that one webpage (SQuidoo) I do not believe it. If it exists it would be somewhere else on the internet. Like the smirnoff website or any news site at all. Find one.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Icandoit:
    Where on CNBC do they have anything on it? I just went on CNBC.com and did a search for "Smirnoff", and the story did not come up (although a few other smirnoff related news articles did) I then did a search for "Nicholas Sorenson", the purported CEO of Smirnoff, the one who supposedly appeared live on CNBC, and there was not a single search result (on CNBC mind you) for his name. At all. So... where did you see it on their website?

Songbyrdsweet:
    I am also a biochemist (although still in training). I am well aware of what a calorie is, and that it is a measurement of energy. Ask your bf about it again, because if you are putting the energy in your body, your body is using it. If that isn't the case, why are we all counting our calories on here?

I'm still not 100% sure that this zero-calorie vodka doesn't exist, but I'm 99% at least. Until I find some sort of information on it OTHER than that one webpage (SQuidoo) I do not believe it. If it exists it would be somewhere else on the internet. Like the smirnoff website or any news site at all. Find one.

CNBC.com november 9

We have a bar here in town that we buy the drinks from too.
  • createsure
    Options
    By the way, I am so sure about this being wrong I actually called the 2 phone nubers listed on the "article" about the zero-cal vodka. One of them is disconnected and the other one rings about 5 times and then hangs up on you.

Not that this is proof of anything, but can anyone come up with ANYTHING concrete on this other than the original source? Anyone seen it in the stores?

ITS NOT REAL!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Songbyrdsweet:

Hehe...I can ask him again, but he'll say the same thing. :smile: Our calories come from nutritive sources--amino acids, carbohyrdates, triglycerides. They can be broken down into their respective constituent parts...various monosaccharides, fatty acids, etc.

Alcohols....think of them like fiber or sugar alcohols. Cellulose contains calories; you can burn plant stems and tree bark. However, we can't digest them so they are not nutritive. Same with sugar alcohols. The calories in beer come from additives like sugar, hops, barley, etc. Not from the alcohol.
  • createsure
    Options
    Ok, please settle this for me icandoit.

I cannot find it on CNBC anywhere. Can you? Please post a link to it of you can. A search for "vodka" on Nov.9 revealed nothing. I've done multiple searches now, and I don't know what else to try.

Have you seen the bottle at the bar you go to? Is it possible that the bartender has been serving you the zero carb vodka when you ask for zero calorie? It would be an easy mistake to make...

I'm not trying to start a war over this or anything and I hope you aren't taking offense to my incessant questions. I sincerely apologize if I am wrong. I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Ok, please settle this for me icandoit.

I cannot find it on CNBC anywhere. Can you? Please post a link to it of you can. A search for "vodka" on Nov.9 revealed nothing. I've done multiple searches now, and I don't know what else to try.

Have you seen the bottle at the bar you go to? Is it possible that the bartender has been serving you the zero carb vodka when you ask for zero calorie? It would be an easy mistake to make...

I'm not trying to start a war over this or anything and I hope you aren't taking offense to my incessant questions. I sincerely apologize if I am wrong. I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

If it's zero-carb...it would technically be zero-calorie as well. Any nutritive calories in your alcohol comes from, like I said, additives. If it's not a very pure form of alcohol, there will be more in it (like the sugars and hops). Vodka is a really pure form...there's no way to drink pure ethanol without dying, but they probably brought it as close as possible. There might be .5 calories per serving, but by law they can say it's zero calorie.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I did a search and found this:

http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=8842A44C8C2011DCBE2A000423CF381C

Its not proof, but thought i'd add it to the mix! :happy:
  • createsure
    Options
    Lipids (fat, etc.) contains 9 calories per gram. ALWAYS.
    Carbohydrates and protein contain 4 calories per gram each. ALWAYS.
    Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. ALWAYS.

This is common knowledge (in the nutrition world), and is a hard fact. It is not disputed. Alcohol, although containing no nutritional value, does contain calories (energy) that your body absorbs. There's no two ways about it.

If you don't believe me, look it up. I'm a chemistry/biology major and have gotten A's in 2 nutrition classes, 2 chemistry classes, biology, etc. Not that that means I can't be wrong, but just so you know I'm not just spouting off something I read on Wikipedia. This is knowledge I have obtained from a university. That's why I questioned it in the first place: alcohol always contains 7 kcals per gram. I didn't learn the calorie stuff in chemistry though, it was in the nutrition classes. Perhaps your boyfriend, although well versed in the chemistry of calories, etc, doesn't know specifically about ALCOHOL and how the calories in it affect the body? Ask him for me if you can... we need to find the truth here! LOL

You said our calories come from only nutritive sources. This is true, WITH THE EXCEPTION of alcohol.

I don't even drink vodka, so it doesn't matter to me. I just saw something that looks wrong, and I wanted to make sure people on here don't start drinking no carb vodka thinking its no calorie.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Lipids (fat, etc.) contains 9 calories per gram. ALWAYS.
    Carbohydrates and protein contain 4 calories per gram each. ALWAYS.
    Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. ALWAYS.

This is common knowledge (in the nutrition world), and is a hard fact. It is not disputed. Alcohol, although containing no nutritional value, does contain calories (energy) that your body absorbs. There's no two ways about it.

If you don't believe me, look it up. I'm a chemistry/biology major and have gotten A's in 2 nutrition classes, 2 chemistry classes, biology, etc. Not that that means I can't be wrong, but just so you know I'm not just spouting off something I read on Wikipedia. This is knowledge I have obtained from a university. That's why I questioned it in the first place: alcohol always contains 7 kcals per gram. I didn't learn the calorie stuff in chemistry though, it was in the nutrition classes. Perhaps your boyfriend, although well versed in the chemistry of calories, etc, doesn't know specifically about ALCOHOL and how the calories in it affect the body? Ask him for me if you can... we need to find the truth here! LOL

You said our calories come from only nutritive sources. This is true, WITH THE EXCEPTION of alcohol.

I don't even drink vodka, so it doesn't matter to me. I just saw something that looks wrong, and I wanted to make sure people on here don't start drinking no carb vodka thinking its no calorie.

I know, I know. I know all about calories in nutrients. If you want to get into that, I'm an Exercise, Sport, and Health Ed Major and pulled a 4.0 this semester for a 3.7 total, so I know quite a bit about nutrition and metabolism.:wink: I'm sure he knows quite a lot since he's a 5th year Senior and about to graduate. I should also mention that Biochemistry is its OWN field, and a biology/chemistry major is entirely different.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. Not everything with calories is nutritive to the human body. I tried with the cellulose example. Sorry, I guess we'll just have to disagree.
  • createsure
    Options
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/nscime2/www/web410revised/index_files/what.htm

This site also mentions the zero-calorie vodka.

I still can't understand how they make it zero calories unless its non alcoholic.

If anyone ever finds out more about it, please post it!

Thanks,

Createsure
  • icandoit
    Options
    No worries. I have emailed the company to have the info sent. I will send you the info.
    look under video it will be on the right side if the screen. Read the small print. It is not labeled Smirnoff
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/nscime2/www/web410revised/index_files/what.htm

This site also mentions the zero-calorie vodka.

I still can't understand how they make it zero calories unless its non alcoholic.

If anyone ever finds out more about it, please post it!

Thanks,

Createsure

Here is a pdf on ethanol metabolism.

www.rsoa.org/lectures/2_01/2_01.pdf

And here is a review on the same thing.

http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/24/1/67
  • createsure
    Options
    Okay, okay...

I reluctantly put the stuff about my schooling in my last post, only so you would know I'm not a total idiot just spouting off. It doesn't matter what your education background is really, although yours is quite impressive. I concede that I am quite possibly wrong. I just want to know how they do it, since it goes against everything I've learned regarding alcohols calorie content.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Okay, okay...

I reluctantly put the stuff about my schooling in my last post, only so you would know I'm not a total idiot just spouting off. It doesn't matter what your education background is really, although yours is quite impressive. I concede that I am quite possibly wrong. I just want to know how they do it, since it goes against everything I've learned regarding alcohols calorie content.

I am sending another message to the company asking them how it is possible.:flowerforyou: