Applesauce instead of oil when baking?

Options
easfahl
easfahl Posts: 567 Member
I've seen a lot of threads about people using applesauce in baking recipes in place of cooking oil to make a healthier recipe. Can I use this rule in all baking recipes? I'm sure I can't use this rule in any other cooking besides baking, right? Can I use it to substitute for any kind of oil in baking recipes or just a certain kind of oil, i.e. canola oil, EVOO, etc? What kind of applesauce do I use? Is it a straight 1:1 substitution ratio? For example, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of canola oil do I just use a 1/4 cup of applesauce instead?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I can never get it work right. Other people bake cookies and cakes and you can't tell but when I try it totally screws up the texture. :-(
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is unsweetened applesauce. Store bought is best instead of homemade. And yes pretty much any sweet baking recipie ie cakes cookies brownies. And yes it is an even ratio if it calls for a 1/4 cup use a 1/4 cup. My family has been doing this for years and it always turns out so moist and delisious.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't translate when cooking.

I ALWAYS use applesauce instead of oil when baking, every single time. I've used regular applesauce, cinnamon, strawberry, etc. It depends on the flavor you want and if you're wanting to experiment. Use plain applesauce if you're not looking for a variance. No sugar-added is a great option.

Yes, it's a 1:1 ratio.

Good luck!
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I just had wondered that this weekend when I got my nifty new brownie pan from QVC! Unfortunately I didn't ave enough apple sauce but in search for how much to sub the oil for I came across the answer. Check out AllrecIpes.com search " common ingredient substitutions" . It shows a whole list of subs for different things. It showed for 1 cup veg oil use 1 cup applesauce or I was going sub the same amount as the recipe called for-1/4. Check out the site thou!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I need help. I have to bake cookies this weekend. I wanted to make peanut butter blossoms. It would be great if I could cut out the oil to save on some calories.

Can I do this? I've replaced oil with applesauce in my banana bread and zucchini bread, but never in cookies. I'd hate to waste cookie batter to see if it works.. anyone tried it ??

Please !!
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    This sounds brilliant! Can you use homemade apple sauce? Only I have a whole lot of apples from my neighbours tree just waiting to be made into apple sauce. Will this work? Any ideas would be most welcome as I need to bake today.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can replace half the oil in a recipe for muffins (never tried with cakes) for 1.5 times the amount of greek yoghurt. A bit trickier to work out, but worth it!

I do this with my morning glory muffins, which is something I make a lot, so I just wrote in the new measurements/ingredients.

The recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, so I make them with half a cup plus two tablespoons of greek yoghurt. They always turn out great!
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is an "applesauce" flavor to your dish if you use it?
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use home made applesauce. Just make sure you mash it really really thoroughly. And no there's no applesauce flavor when you use it. I actually use applesauce to replace 3/4 of the oil and about 1/2 the sugar in recipes.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I need help. I have to bake cookies this weekend. I wanted to make peanut butter blossoms. It would be great if I could cut out the oil to save on some calories.

Can I do this? I've replaced oil with applesauce in my banana bread and zucchini bread, but never in cookies. I'd hate to waste cookie batter to see if it works.. anyone tried it ??

Please !!

I don't think it works for cookies?
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Please !!

You can do it for cookies but they'll come out with more a cake-like consistency than a cookie consistency. Personally I have no problem with that. ~_^
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Big Thanks!!! I'm so scared to try! haha.
  • kalisious
    kalisious Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always use applesauce when I'm baking and my goodies always turn out great! AND moist!
    Banana bread, cupcakes, cake, brownies, muffins! Endless options!

ALSO! Plain/vanilla yogurts also work as an oil substitute as well as canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) and other fruit purees :)