Losing weight is harder in the south! Can anyone relate?

Options

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Marietta, GA for the past year and I've noticed that many people in the South look down on being slim and they encourage very bad eating habits. All of the restaurants you have listed, I can list as many healthier restaurants. I stay away from fast food places as much as possible. I love Publix's produce options and Trader Joe's organic foods also.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ummmm...thats everywhere girl. not just down south. so panty up and get your butt in gear :)
  • hjones123
    Options
    I agree with you! I am from Mississippi and there are very limited places to eat. Also, when I cook, it seems that we eat the same thing all the time. I eat alot of unhealthy foods because that is traditional cooking in the south. Especially since the crops are ready. The good peas, corn, cornbread, potatoes, etc... But of course, we add all the wrong things to these good veggies that makes it unhealthy.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It isn't just the South.

What is the South is the idea that macaroni and cheese is a "veggie."

Yeah, I don't get that. I almost choked the first time my in-laws served my son rice and mac and cheese at the same meal and told him to eat his veggies.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    being a southerner is about the worst excuse i have ever heard. Mcdonalds isnt just in the south, and starbucks has danishes across the US. In texas we have dairy queen, you probably have culvers. Fast food is fast food and no matter what state you're in, its always junk. And youre right, we southerners simply have tastier food than yankees :p however, when my family fries chicken, makes gravy out of the grease and globs it on top of potatoes that are yellow with butter, guess what? They know i wont eat it, and they offer, and i say no thanks. Go grocery shopping and buy healthy food, or do what so many other people do and whine that you dont have a choice. Btw, im born and bred texan, and im a vegetarian. Do you think texas restaurants care that i dont eat meat and want health food? No. You learn what you can eat or you dont go. i can get a healthy vegetarian meal at a bbq joint or a steakhouse, so dont say you dont have options. As my grandpa says,"dont pee on my leg and tell me its raining."
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    I leave in NC for 11 years now and since moved over here (from Brazil) I've gained about 20 lbs...:frown: Lots of fry foods, barb-q, zaxby's... and mainly, LOTS OF POOR CHOICES ON MY PART!! it's hard! But since I started my mission to lose this extra weight, I cook my own food now. I bring lunch to work everyday, inspite of having an office inside of a mall and can smell Chick-Fil-A and all other fast food restaurant, I realized that we make the choices of what we eat...Even if you are always in a hurry (like me) and it would be MUCH easier and faster to stop at these chains restaurants, you have to be commited and you have to plan your meals ahead of time to be able to eat healthy.
    I always have a protein bar in my purse in case I don't have time to prepare a meal ahead of time... but I refuse to stop at fast food places and ruin all my efforts.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I feel very similarly in Alaska, becasue we are so isolated, everything is very expensive and limited. Veggies and fruits are not very good looking when they have been trucked a couple thousand miles. We spend 9 months of the year in the cold and the dark, it is very hard to stay motivated when all you want to do is sleep. Every state has it's set backs!
  • ammbbbeeeerrrrr
    Options
    sounds like louisiana! lol i only eat out once a week, so it doesnt really bother me, but if i do happen to eat out somewhere during the week i know i'm screwed because there is not a healthy eating place in sight!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston so much further south than you and it's pretty much the same. Hell, when I lived in Sacramento, ca it was the same. I think it's America in general.... But... No excuses! In a modern society that revolves around convineance it's going to be difficult. That's probably why alot of us are here to begin with. It being tough just makes success that much more fulfilling. :)
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    <moderator edited for content>

:laugh: I agree!!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's not a southern thing. I'm from Colorado, and they have the exact same crap you just listed. And yet, Colorado is the fittest state. It's easy to make excuses for poor health, including "oh well fast food is so easy". Go load up on groceries, and made and freeze healthy soups/casseroles/whatever. That way you always have something to grab on the go. I live in Kentucky now, and there are just as many crap food options here, as anywhere else in the country. Just gotta say no and take responsibility. Don't blame the south.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Southerner here who has managed to be pretty thin most of my life. I really don't know that many people that cook like that. I haven't seen or heard of anyone using lard since probably before you were born. It may be true that like minded people attract each other. I do cook a lot of my own food. If I have to eat fastfood, there is subway or a salad with GRILLED chicken and lite dressing, a grilled chicken sandwich, and a small mcdonalds or bk hamburger has less than 300 calories I believe.
    is there a whole foods in bham that you could go to once or twice a week and get some premade dishes to have on hand. Look at peoples food diaries for ideas on quick easy things to have on hand. I rarely eat fried food. No, my weakness is any kind of creamy, rich french sauce. I have found though, the more I eat fried food, the more I develop a taste for it and the less I eat it, the less I like it. hmmm, same for bad fast food, too.

As far as exercise, I love to run in the summer. The more I sweat the better. It feels cleansing to me. So much rather exercise in the heat than the cold.
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options
    I feel ya! I live in Mobile. I find it hard to lose weight and keep it off. My husband and I eat at home everydau but Sunday after church we go to lunch and Tuesday I eat with his grandma and aunts for lunch at the unhealthiest resturant ever hince the name Burger Master. People don't understand unless they are from the south. We are not lazy we just relate food to EVERYTHING!! Got a promation lets go to dinner, bored lets go to waffle house, got fired lets go get ice cream, freinds come over lets barbeque, football you know you gotta have game time food!
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options
    It is tough if you have a southern heritage! My homemade biscuits "will make you slap your mama!" Anyway, now I only make them once in a while instead of every day!

I

I make homemade biscuits about once a week and homemade cornbread about 4-5 times a week, its something that I will NEVER give up and my cornbread is probably th ebest you will ever taste, no joke! Like Jason Aldean says "we like corn bread and biscuits" :)
  • TeeA86
    TeeA86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    OMG! YES I know exactly how you feel. South Louisiana..... home of everything fried, stews, gumbos, jambalya, etouffees. Just like you said get togethers are never healthly unless we eating boiled shrimp or crawfish which has sooooo much sodium, its crazy. I am going strong for now but its hard. And suggesting brown rice or wheat bread is out of the question. lol. So at home I make white rice and dont eat it.... Im hungry. LOL!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think that's the whole country... sounds just like every place i've lived. of course we have subways ;)
    mcdonald's soutwest salad with grilled chicken is very low calorie even with the dressing. of course the sodium is outrageous.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean about not having choices. I live in North Central Florida which is very similar to Georgia and Alabama. My town has a population of 5,000 people and our restaurants choices are: 2 steak places, Sonnys BBQ, Mexican, Chinese (dirty) and Seafood (dirty). Fast food is McDonald's, Subway, Wendy's, Checkers, Arby's, and Taco Bell. Even our grocery store selection is terrible: Walmart or Winn-Dixie. What I would give for a Publix...It makes me really sad because about 80% of our town is obese. And all of the restaurants offer AUCE (All You Can Eat). Well, just because you CAN eat it all doesn't mean you SHOULD eat it all...This is the mentality that we are raised with. We got our first gym about 7 years ago. Now we have 3! Yesterday I went to Sonny's because they have a great salad bar (I like choosing what goes in my salad and how much) and you can get a grilled chicken for $1 extra. Next to me an older couple asked if they had a gluten-free menu. The waitress looked at them like they spoke a foreign language and said (in a country accent of course) "Uh...what's gluten?" I got on my phone hoping to help them out and guess what? Sonny's doesn't have a gluten-free menu. She got the manager and even he was confused at to what this "gluten" thing was. So the solution in a small town is to either be prepared and cook all of your meals or do your research ahead of time and know exactly what to get before you get there.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I travel all across the US due to my job, and 70% of that travel is in the deep south so I have a unique perspective. IT IS DIFFERENT. Most of it is due to culture and economics.

Unless you are on a fried chicken diet, you will have a harder time finding healthy options. It is true that you can find fast food joints anywhere but they dominate the landscape - especially outside of the major (relative term) cities. Also, most of the privately owned restaurants serve southern recipies (fried anything) with no eye to providing nutritional information. The biggest thing I see though is that there really isn't a cultural pressure to be fit and thin and quite a few people are overweight.

Can you make healthy choices and find better alternatives in the south? Sure, I do it all the time. Personal responsibility is still King (or should be). But it can be relativley more challenging.
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sounds VERY familiar to me... I live in northeastern Wisconsin.

I think that is the case EVERYWHERE -- I would think it would be easier in a warm climate though -- winter all you wanna do is hibernate in a big sweatshirt and eat warm comfort foods!!! and winter here is like 8 months -lol!! But then again, I LOVE the hot weather probably cause we rarely have it!

Best of luck to you - you just gotta want it and be prepared by not running out of groceries :)
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any southern people out there struggling with the same issues as me. I live in Alabama and I while I love living down here, it does make it so much harder to lead a healthy lifestyle. For instance, let's say I've run out of groceries, got out of class late, and need to pick up some dinner on my way home. What will I find? McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC, Zaxby's, etc. There are no healthy options!! Unless I want a wilted salad that's covered in fried chicken and ranch dressing...

My friends down here all like to get together and cook delicious, unhealthy food because that's the southern way! At work, it's someone's birthday and we celebrate with soda, chips, cookies, cupcakes. The Starbucks at my university doesn't have anything to eat except fatty pastries, doughnuts, and cookies. Everywhere I turn, I encounter temptation and bad choices. I have a lot of determination and self-control but short of cooking every meal for myself, what should I eat?

Any suggestions, advice, or general comments would be appreciated! And feel free to add me :)
    I think it's an excuse. The same restaurants are available everywhere in the US, yet somehow in other states they don't have the same obesity levels. It's the lifestyle more than anything else and you can change yours.

I agree it being an excuse, I live in California and let me tell you we have fast food joints everywhere you go. My family likes cooking authentic Mexican food, with lard, I think it's about portion and wanting to change to a healthier lifestyle. Shoot, I'll be there first to tell you, I'm still learning, I'm 33 and been off and on the wagon for many years. It's tough for sure, but not impossible. When I go over to my parents I do tend to overeat, I mean real home cookin' is hard to pass up but I have to remember to eat in moderation and not eat "Authentic" anything everyday as to why I am in my current boat.